New Tires/Alignment -- Steering Off-Center?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The Critic
At all of my Firestone alignments, I'd see the guy reach in thru the window, make sure that the steering wheel seemed straight, and then proceeded.

That was probably the cause of my issues -- he never actually sat in the car to confirm.

- OR -

He was lazy and just got the overall toe in in the green, ignoring the individual toe readings.

Some cars only have adjustment on one side - and those require a replacement of the tie rod which adds cost to the project - something some consumers don't like happening without forewarning. I've never understood why a script hasn't developed for these things. I would think just a single incident would prompt someone to do this. A simple: "Sir, your alignment may require some parts because the factory didn't provide for adjustment. Without those parts, we won't be able to do the alignment correctly. If the cost is more than $20.00, we'll call you for authorization."

My dealership always tries to sell me shims when i get an alignment.. I got quoted close to 350$ plus.. told the guy to do the standard 79.99 alignment.. I dont get how it would need shims on stock rims...

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
My dealership always tries to sell me shims when i get an alignment.. I got quoted close to 350$ plus.. told the guy to do the standard 79.99 alignment.. I dont get how it would need shims on stock rims...

That is true and is the same way with my Matrix. Excessive rear camber from the factory. Which helps with cornering but is horrible for tire wear. Esp, the inner part of the tire. I think I read about some pins they can use for a fraction of the price and accomplishes the same thing.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Stories like that (on top of my experiences) just help me solidify my decision that I'll only be using the dealership(s) for alignments from now on.

The guys at the Honda dealer also told me that I can bring it back within 6 months if it gets knocked out of alignment. For instance if I hit a large pot hole or something. Plus I wouldn't need an appointment, just bring it in and they'll put a guy on it right away. This is all from the service manager.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

It isn't the stock rims that matter. It's the fact that the chassis shifts and warps - not to mention being bent because of a hard impact somewhere in its life.

And just an FYI: I've had repeated discussions with folks in the know who admit that vehicles leaving the assembly plant aren't always in alignment - even given the too wide tolerances. I can easily see why a vehicle might need something to get the alignment right.

But $350 is for more than just shims. That sounds more like a camber plate.

Yes, there are folks out there who will pad the bill. I think people ought to avoid those places.

And I would think that if you turn down the use of "the shims" in order to save cost, you've just told them not to do a good job - just "Toe and Go".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
At all of my Firestone alignments, I'd see the guy reach in thru the window, make sure that the steering wheel seemed straight, and then proceeded.

That was probably the cause of my issues -- he never actually sat in the car to confirm.

I've been to shops that don't even check the tire pressure. They toss the vehicle on the machine, and 15 minutes later another vehicle is in its place. It is very hard to find a good alignment shop around here.

Thanks for the info Capri! They quoted me for multiple shims and added labor costs for the additional time it would take..I would be curious to take it to a different shop to get an estimate..but at the age and mileage, dont feel like bothering with it. No abnormal wear. I am just guessing its wear of suspension components etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back