Two-year-old "New" Tires

Hi folks,

I purchased a set of Hankook Kinergy 737 PT tires for my 2018 Mazda 3 sedan, size 205/60/16.

I had free installation, plus a 100$ mail rebate, which brings the total to 560$ with all the rebates, decent price.

Coming from the Defender T+H, the Hankook has a softer ride, but seems more supple and less firm than the Defender's. The only thing I don't like, is the center steering feel is somewhat more loose/lighter/vague to my taste, less crisp than the Defenders. Also, the pressure limit is 51 psi compared to 44 psi for the Defenders, I don't know why such a pressure limit difference? if someone knows, feel free to comment.

Now, one thing that I noticed on the sidewall, is that the year of manufacture is 2022, cant remember the numbers of weeks, but this tire is two years old already, should I be concerned about this? I believe I can exchange them within 30 days, and pay for the installation for another brand of tires if I want to.

I don't have much knowledge about the longevity of a tire, is it from the manufacture date or from when its installed on the car? Any inputs is very appreciated. Thanks!

You have nothing to worry about for many years. Born on date of 2022 is nothing for new tires that often sit in warehouses for several years before installed on a vehicle. If you drive, like most, about 12,000 miles per year you will have worn them to the wear bars before they reach retirement age.

Yep, wouldn't give it a second thought.

You have nothing to worry about for many years. Born on date of 2022 is nothing for new tires that often sit in warehouses for several years before installed on a vehicle.
Yep, wouldn't give it a second thought.
Funny how when some people that post here about having tires that are coming up on 6 years old but with good tread, they are advised that they need to get new ones because of the age. So if these new ones are already 2 years old from the getgo, THAT'S ok? You can be darn sure if you drive into a tire store with 6 year old tires, they will tell you they must be replaced. Of if you bring in 6 year old tires to be mounted, they will refuse. I'd ask for a steep discount like 2/6 of the cost back since it's missing 2/6 of it's life.

Funny how when some people that post here about having tires that are coming up on 6 years old but with good tread, they are advised that they need to get new ones because of the age. So if these new ones are already 2 years old from the getgo, THAT'S ok? You can be darn sure if you drive into a tire store with 6 year old tires, they will tell you they must be replaced. Of if you bring in 6 year old tires to be mounted, they will refuse. I'd ask for a steep discount like 2/6 of the cost back since it's missing 2/6 of it's life.

I swap winter/summer tires every fall/spring. Our 2017 Escape has the original Michelin tires. The place I take it to told me in the fall they wouldn't be able to put them on in the spring because of age, they won't take the liability. Was planning on putting new tires on anyway this spring, but yes lots of shops won't put on aged out tires.

We had a set of Michelin snow tires, gave us good service for almost 8 years, and last winter we needed the TPMS sensors reset as usual. The Discount Tire shop we bought them from refused to touch the tires (or sensors) because they were almost 10 years old. I checked the date code, sure enough, they sold us 2 year old new tires. I contacted the corporate headquarters and complained. The local shop manager called and said they'd do anything we wanted on those tires and offered a discount to buy new tires. The moral of this story...the next snows I'll buy next fall gotta be made in the year I'm buying them, or they get refused.

We live in a northern state. I can actually see Canada on a clear day. I don't run tires over 10 years even if the tread is still OK.

It seems a tire's age is determined by the born-on date code, not when it was put into service no matter what the sales guy tells you.

Tire engineer here.

A tire's condition is dependent on a lot of things - primarily heat. Tires operating in - say - Phoenix deteriorate much faster than tires operating in - say - Minneapolis. And it's not just heat, it's heat history. I go into much more detail here: Barry's Tire Tech: Tire Aging and Weather Cracking:

Short version: A tire generates heat when it operates, so it deteriorates faster when operated. It's called the Arrhenius rule - paraphrased: chemical reactions take place twice as fast for every 10°C (18°F) rise in temperature. Tires normally operate about 35°F higher than ambient temperature. That means the tire deteriorates 4 times faster when operating.

The company I worked for conducted testing and concluded that tires sitting in a warehouse for 3 years were functionally equivalent to tires just made. The tire industry thinks that tires that are up to 6 years old can be sold as "New". I haven't seen any evidence that this is incorrect.

Then there is the issue of antioxidants and antiozidants, not to mention waxes, that are very effective when the tire is new and in the warehouse.

So does that clock start ticking the minute the tire comes out of the mold? Well ....... sort of. But tire manufacturers tie their warranty to the date of application - and they wouldn't do that if the "Real" date was the production date.

The thing is that the date of production is on the sidewall of every tire and the date application isn't. So we consumers get used to using the production date to tell when to change tires because they are too old.

Last edited:
1716555233037.jpg
This 2 year old got his new tires . 👍

Thanks Barry.

The tire industry thinks that tires that are up to 6 years old can be sold as "New".

The thing is that the date of production is on the sidewall of every tire and the date application isn't. So we consumers get used to using the production date to tell when to change tires because they are too old.
Maybe tire manufacturers think that but some searching and an experience above seems to indicate that production date is used by tire retailers pretty much universally.

Tire Rack says this:
Previously unused, never-mounted tires should not be put into service if they are more than six (6) years old, even if they were properly stored.
So tires 5 years 11 months old are good but 6 years 1 month aren't.

Discount Tire says this:
  • Vehicle manufacturers recommend tire replacement at 6 years.
  • Tire manufacturers' warranties expire at 6 years.
  • Tire manufacturers recommend replacement at 10 years, regardless of tread depth.
Discount Tire recommends that you replace your tires after 6 years of age, regardless of tread depth. For your safety, we will not service a tire that exceeds 10 years of age.
Further reading DT waffles about replacing between 6-10 years. They all talk about hidden wear or damage.

Back in Pa nobody worried about tire age, you ran them until they wore out. Here in Az more people are aware of tires aging it seems.

Thanks Barry.

Maybe tire manufacturers think that but some searching and an experience above seems to indicate that production date is used by tire retailers pretty much universally.

Tire Rack says this:

So tires 5 years 11 months old are good but 6 years 1 month aren't.

Discount Tire says this:

Further reading DT waffles about replacing between 6-10 years. They all talk about hidden wear or damage.

Back in Pa nobody worried about tire age, you ran them until they wore out. Here in Az more people are aware of tires aging it seems.
thats probably because after cooking in the sun for 10 years arizona tires crumble like a potato chip lol

if it was stored somewhere cool (like 70f) i would use an old tire with good tread, but most used tires with good tread have sat outside for years and are a bit hard and slippery and when they go flat crunchy

It should be fine. Walmart auto center would not touching tires that exceeding 7 years, I guess that's the red line.
My Pirelli is made in 2019 and bought in 2022. Still working great.

How about

Four-year-old "New" Tires​

Bridgestone Blizzak LM001

Special/Closeout$119.60 Per Tire
Eh why not, I wear winters out in 3 or 4 years down to 5/32, then maybe a summer or two after that to finish them off.
I bought a set of new Xice that were 6 years old sitting in the local dealers tire warehouse, set aside for someone who never picked them up and still had the mold release on them. They were fine and the dealer mounted and balanced for $50 each. I ran them for 2.5 years straight on my car and they even still had good wet pavement grip when the car was sold.

Back