Towing with Michelin or similar HT tire

What is experience with towing on Michelin defender or similar clones like the Kumho Crugen HT51? I’ve read some reviews that the aggressive siping felt ‘squishy’ when loaded. Assuming Pmeteric but now sure who wrote the reviews.

Also what is normal tread life for some of these in 1/2 ton trucks. I’ve seen some of these tires on minivans that only made half the mileage warranty, should I expect the same thing in a bigger heavier vehicle? Cooper endeavors I’ve had wear evenly and run smooth but barely make 35k on a 65k tire all pavement use.

Edit to clarify…. The coopers are on a minivan. Best tread life I’ve had in that van was hankook 727 years ago.

Last edited:
What is experience with towing on Michelin defender or similar clones like the Kumho Crugen HT51? I’ve read some reviews that the aggressive siping felt ‘squishy’ when loaded. Assuming Pmeteric but now sure who wrote the reviews.

Also what is normal tread life for some of these in 1/2 ton trucks. I’ve seen some of these tires on minivans that only made half the mileage warranty, should I expect the same thing in a bigger heavier vehicle? Cooper endeavors I’ve had wear evenly and run smooth but barely make 35k on a 65k tire all pavement use.
Michelin Defender is very popular among towing crowd. Also, minivans will obliterate tires faster than trucks, and I know it sounds ridiculous.
If you going H/T, two best performers are Michelin Defender and Continental TerrainContact H/T. Cooper is nowhere near in quality or Kumho.

Michelin Defender LTX's wore well on our Expedition which is at least as heavy as a half ton. At least 50k miles. I haven't towed heavy with those so no comments about that, though I haven't ever felt them to be squishy or unstable.

2017 Tahoe in signature
40k out of Michelin - worn and chipping on all shoulders
45k out of Cooper Evolution - worn - would of made 50k
Bought Cooper SRX …

What would be suggestions for a second tier tire? Michelin and others are out of budget at this time. Are some of the milder AT tires I’ve seen a better option and more durable?

What would be suggestions for a second tier tire? Michelin and others are out of budget at this time. Are some of the milder AT tires I’ve seen a better option and more durable?
Mastercraft if you find a dealer

2010 1500 Chevy crew. Limited towing miles but don’t want to white knuckle it either, camper and boat sometimes small utility but 6k or less.

All local shops are telling me LT is waste of money in 1/2 ton at that weight

You might sacrifice some ride with an LT load range…..but you said you don’t want squishy.
Perhaps a range C tire and pump up the pressure when you tow.
Kumho makes a good tire but they wear quick, for the price point I was always satisfied with them.

Going from stock goodyear tires to michelin defender LTX on my F150 made a dramatic difference towing a 26' travel trailer. The goodyears felt soft and the rear end moved around a lot. The michelins firmed everything up.

They all tell me I would have no problem with Pmetric but it has had LT on it when I got it and I have become used to them, But at same time if it’s overkill and I’m spending money I don’t need to then obviously I’d save the money. Plus it gets used less now than in years past this is why budget generally precludes Michelin level prices. Next set will likely age out before wearing out but also don’t want to feel uneasy when I do tow with it but also don’t want something that will wear out in 25k miles either.

They all tell me I would have no problem with Pmetric but it has had LT on it when I got it and I have become used to them, But at same time if it’s overkill and I’m spending money I don’t need to then obviously I’d save the money. Plus it gets used less now than in years past this is why budget generally precludes Michelin level prices. Next set will likely age out before wearing out but also don’t want to feel uneasy when I do tow with it but also don’t want something that will wear out in 25k miles either.
Load range e is overkill. Regular LT is the right tire if you want better towing.

You could look for a set of michelin take offs on marketplace if you want to save a few bucks.

I beleive they are 265 70 17

I’d like to stay 175 or less(?) If possible. I’ve seen Michelin or Bridgestone at 300+ all the way to Sailun at 115

I beleive they are 265 70 17

I’d like to stay 175 or less(?) If possible. I’ve seen Michelin or Bridgestone at 300+ all the way to Sailun at 115
You should be able to buy Falken Wildpeak HT02 for $175 each. They are a pretty decent tire.
Nitro Dura Grappler is another that should fit your budget.
General Grabber HTS 60 is another. 108 load rating would be squirrelly when towing.
Of these three, the Falken would be better for occasional towing.

Last edited:
You should be able to buy Falken Wildpeak HT02 for $175 each. They are a pretty decent tire.
Nitro Dura Grappler is another that should fit your budget.
General Grabber HTS 60 is another. 108 load rating would be squirrelly when towing.
Of these three, the Falken would be better for occasional towing.
This^. Falken Wildpeak HT02 is decent tire.

We’ve put LTX defender tires on every work truck for years. Towing, USFS forest roads, oil patch, they perform great and rack up the miles. Worth the premium in my opinion.

I ran them on my personal truck for years as well. If I wasn’t so vane I’d still be running them.

I’ve got the Michelin Defender LTX (or whatever Costco calls them) on my Tundra. No problems towing.

Ride is great, good handling, good grip in adverse weather.

The life is hard to predict, but given the wear so far, it’s going to be over 80,000 miles. I’ve lost about 2/32” in 25,000 miles.

So, when compared with cheaper tires that don’t last as long, I wonder if the Michelin isn’t cheaper per mile than others.

Back