Tires or Brakes? Which to do first?

Alrighty boys, the daily (08 Camry) is due for brakes all the way around and tires. The pads all the way around are at 4mm~ and the tires are at 3/32~ all the way around. The brakes are started to "squeak" when I drive. Assuming it's the pad wear sensor. I drove through all of winter with these tires, Had 0 issues. But, the steering wheel shakes like crazy (kind of like getting a free massage :ROFLMAO: ) when going above 65 MPH. So, I am assuming the tires are out of balance. Not sure if I should do the brakes and roll with the tires or do the tires and roll with the brakes for a bit? The car stops still. I can get brakes all the way around for $186 from Rockauto. Tires mounted and balanced for about $315~ from Belle tires (Ironman brand, Starfire, etc) with rebates, etc that ends in 4 days.
Tires first... Low priced tires are not always a bad choice. Walmart online has many options (brand and pricing). The Walmart auto center is questionable . Had issues with balancing couple times. But they are budget friendly

Tires first... Low priced tires are not always a bad choice. Walmart online has many options (brand and pricing). The Walmart auto center is questionable . Had issues with balancing couple times. But they are budget friendly
Belle Tire had the best deal. But the Memorial Day sale ends today. I had work on Saturday so I was not able to go to the store and get the tires on the car. The "sales" rep at Belle Tire told me I could only get the $70 off if I opened a Goodyear credit card. That's kind of misleading. When you add the items to the cart, it automatically takes $70 off until you put your card info in. Anyways, I guess I'll wait until another sales event or go with Walmart.

Alrighty boys, the daily (08 Camry) is due for brakes all the way around and tires. The pads all the way around are at 4mm~ and the tires are at 3/32~ all the way around. The brakes are started to "squeak" when I drive. Assuming it's the pad wear sensor. I drove through all of winter with these tires, Had 0 issues. But, the steering wheel shakes like crazy (kind of like getting a free massage :ROFLMAO: ) when going above 65 MPH. So, I am assuming the tires are out of balance. Not sure if I should do the brakes and roll with the tires or do the tires and roll with the brakes for a bit? The car stops still. I can get brakes all the way around for $186 from Rockauto. Tires mounted and balanced for about $315~ from Belle tires (Ironman brand, Starfire, etc) with rebates, etc that ends in 4 days.
To me, it is more important to have the ability to stop. I would do the brakes first, then worry about tires. At 3/32 the tires are fine for the moment on dry pavement in the summer time..

You can check with Belle Tire if you pay today for the sale price can you get a rain check? They'd probably be happy to spread the work out beyond the weekend.

I've had great luck with Starfire and other Cooper private brands.

I had time after work so I took another look at the brakes. The front pads and rotors seem fine. Rear ones, that's a whole different story. I cleaned the brakes with brake cleaner to see if the "squeak" disappears. If not, I'll be ordering brakes all the way around.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Yeah those rears need help. For the driver on a budget, why not do those first and see where you are?

I did my 09 Camry brakes with a mismosh of parts from ebay and amazon warehouse. They came out great!

Those are some horrible rear brakes.

That said, the rear brakes don’t do much.

So get the tires and any related suspension work associated with the bumping feel at speed, then handle the brakes.

Yeah those rears need help. For the driver on a budget, why not do those first and see where you are?

I did my 09 Camry brakes with a mismosh of parts from ebay and amazon warehouse. They came out great!
I'm just going to do brakes all the way around. 180 for pads and rotors all the way around.

I just ordered front pads and rotors along with rear pads and rotors off rock auto for $180. I might as well do tires also. $600~ ($384~ tires and $180 for brakes). The car should be good to go.

I don't really want to spend $500~ on car I paid 2500 for.
In that case. I would likely shop for the cheapest $20 brake pads on closeout anywhere, and the cheapest T rated tires on walmart.com that could fit (may be slightly different in size but it must fit the wheel). The best I have done recently is $55/tire before mounting and $20/axle of pads.

You spend the money to protect your life, not your car. Don't want to spend $500 on a $2500 car is like don't want to pump a full tank of gas into a $2500 car.

Do the tires. You need tires now, and I'll bet you could get 5-10k more miles on those brakes. I know a set of fronts on those cars will last 100k and the rears even longer if they were a decent set.

It may have been only a $2500 car but if you take decent care of them they will last a long time. My 07 is approaching 320K now

Do the tires. You need tires now, and I'll bet you could get 5-10k more miles on those brakes. I know a set of fronts on those cars will last 100k and the rears even longer if they were a decent set.

It may have been only a $2500 car but if you take decent care of them they will last a long time. My 07 is approaching 320K now
The brakes are squeaking like crazy, It's driving me insane. I cleaned all 4 rotors with brake cleaner. Still squeaks. So, I will do pads and rotors all the way around and get tires on the car on Tuesday. $340 for 4 tires mounted and balanced (Starfire Solarus AS tires). Wagner pads and rotors ($180).The car should be good for another 100k miles after. Ironically, the car stopped burning oil all by itself also :unsure:

Last edited:

Have never seen a wear indicator that went off with 4mm left. 1-2 mm is much more likely. The inside pads are not very visible, one or more could be much further worn.

Update if anyone cares 😂

I just got 4 tires put on—$ 408 with an alignment. The tech mentioned that the rear pads and rotors are toast 😂. Fronts are at 5MM~. I'm just going to do all four. What caught me off guard was that the tech mentioned it seems like the rear right caliper is sticking based on the rotors' grooves. The grooves on the left and right rotor are the same. I don't feel any pulling to the right, excessive heat, or anything. Visually the caliper seems fine. Now there is a loud humming noise. Thinking it's a wheel bearing or maybe the super worn-out rotors causing that noise.

He recommended replacing the trust because it is rusted on the outside. But the trusts aren't leaking. So, I'll pass on that.

Back