Noise from wheel or tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have noticed a noise coming from the front passenger side wheel/tire area only when I slow down (coasting) to a speed between 35 to 25 mph (does not happen when speed increases). I describe it as a rolling/rotating low pitched sound/drone, again once as I slow down to between 35/25 mph then disappears at speeds less than 25 mph.
This occurs without applying the brakes, and does not occur when turning right or left. Tread depth is fine all around. The tires have only 4000 miles on them and have just been balanced without a change in the noise.
Could this be a tire belt issue? Any ideas? Would worn suspension or off alignment cause this?
I'm planning to see if the sound disappears with replacing the suspected wheel/tire with the spare.
Thanks in advance.

You mention no vehicle info....tires with 4000mi are basically still new. Its hard to sort out a mechanical issue with no info. Front passenger tires are a shoe-in for a curb strike. I like to blame the tire first new or old.

The noise you describe does sound like a wheel bearing. But the wheel bearing noise typically is more pronounced when greater loads are placed upon it. If it's the front passenger wheel, you'd expect the noise to get louder / harsher when you turn left around a corner due to the load placed on that bearing.

Check the CV boots to make sure they aren't leaking. With your description it doesn't sound like that's the problem, but check to be sure.

If all else fails, have the tires rebalanced.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Tires are General Exclaim UHP (just 4k on them) on a low mileage '01 BMW 325i (55k).

Have hit the curb before the new tires but had no noise issues before their replacemnt. No "curbed" incidents after having the new tires.

I would first head straight back to the tire dealer and make sure the tire not separated or lost a wheel weight. They may enlighten you on a mechanical issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back