Discount Tire Now Does Alignments in Limited Areas

Two stores in NC now do alignments. Bought tires yesterday and had my son's vehicle aligned for $88.99, includes color printout of before and after. I spoke with the tech who did it, he said they went to Hunter Alignment school for 3 days to learn the system. He added, "if you weren't paying attention during class you'd be lost." Saves me time from having to go to another shop for this service.

I'm sure Hunter Engineering is hoping the same. Investment in training, equipment would tell me this will be are higher producing stores. Some may not have the space.

Why did you have it aligned? Was is pulling to one side or were the tires wearing unevenly? In 40+ years of owning cars I've never taken one in for alignment.
Because I like spending $90? Both fronts were wearing on the outside. Inspection determined among other things steering wheel was not straight. Alignment made a huge improvement in how the vehicle tracked and steered.

Last edited:
Thanks for the DT news story.
Like atikovi, I believe the need for alignments is rare but you should know who can do it well in your neck of the woods.
I've bent stuff (like when I realized snow tires would've saved me some coin on a control arm) and replaced stuff and seeking out a real alignment shop is difficult.

I wonder if DT took over some locations which had alignment services (opportunity) or are expanding their service offerings.

Why did you have it aligned? Was is pulling to one side or were the tires wearing unevenly? In 40+ years of owning cars I've never taken one in for alignment.
I get an alignment after any suspension work (except for sway bar bushings or links) or when installing new tires. To avoid issues in future and ensure even wear.

@Egg_Head Last alignment cost me $140, so at $90 that's a steal. Thanks for sharing. I pass the Albemarle Rd store frequently.

Whenever I get new tires and the old ones have worn even and no driving issues... I would not get the free check until the new tires have been installed and I have driven on them for a few days...I want to see if anything has changed in the steering with the new tires first....

Great, one more upsell that we (consumers) will have to repeatedly tell them "no".

If I am gonna spend on a new set of expensive rubber, I wanna know the alignment is good. Plus I generally try an negotiate a little better price.

They have a few stores in Ohio doing it also.

I work for one of their competitors and I wonder what they plan to do when there are worn parts? And I suppose it depends on the state where or not they need to be certified in Steering/Suspension to perform them. Here in Michigan you need to be licensed. We have stores in Indiana and Ohio also, those states do not have any sort of technician license so basically anyone can claim to be a tech. Here in Detroit alignments are important. Our roads beat up on vehicles.

Last edited:
Great, one more upsell that we (consumers) will have to repeatedly tell them "no".
Just doing their job's. I can tell you at least where I work we report to you on what is wrong with your car. It's up to you if you want to buy anything else. Nothing is deceptive though.

about a month ago I was sitting in the free air check line, looked over... "that looks like an alignment rack... They've never done those..."
when the guy got to me, I asked, to which he replied " when's the last time you had the alignment checked? " (Never) " if you ever have some spare time, takes about 15 min, The Check is Free, if it needs work, it's about $90, which is the lowest in the area"

I work for one of their competitors and I wonder what they plan to do when there are worn parts? And I suppose it depends on the state where or not they need to be certified in Steering/Suspension to perform them.
Sounds like a great idea overall but they might be getting into a can of worms with certain vehicles. I guess they can just decline the ones they would have issues with?

Here in Michigan you need to be licensed.
What kind of license do you need to do alignments? State license for the shop or an ASE certification?

Sounds like a great idea overall but they might be getting into a can of worms with certain vehicles. I guess they can just decline the ones they would have issues with?

What kind of license do you need to do alignments? State license for the shop or an ASE certification?
In Michigan the state requires mechanics licenses for anyone to work on a vehicle at a business. My company encourages ASE certifications and reflects in pay rates.

Had to align my vehicles prior to 1985, haven't needed an alignment since then.

I'd give it a chance but after my Firestone lifetime alignment fiascos I may err on the side of just going to the dealer.

Back