New Pennzoil ULTRA PDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL Pennzoil has been really good at paying attention to BITOG. Their Q&A was very good.

Pardon me for what is probably obvious to you all, but where is the noack stated ? In the A5/B5 - 10 spec? Noack for amsoil 10w-30 is stated to be 5.7% (their top tier stuff). Ultra is better than that?

So, how do we tell which bottles of Ultra that are on the shelf are from this PDS and which ones are from the previous PDS.

Nice. It does look impressive.

5w-30 is rated for ACEA A5/B5-10.

Wasn't the issue in the other thread about 0w/5w-20 for those specs, though? PP nor Ultra claim to meet ACEA A5/B5 for their 20wt multi-grades. The PP PDS states lastly ' Meets demanding ACEA requirements'.

ultrapds1.png

ultrapds.png

Originally Posted By: GMorg
So, how do we tell which bottles of Ultra that are on the shelf are from this PDS and which ones are from the previous PDS.

If it says SN, it's probably this latest, hopefully. Probably no 'real' world difference in performance, though. JMO.

Those NOACK percentages are too low. 5% for the 5W-20 when it used to be 12.6; no way. I suspect the test is measuring at 150C instead of 250C that everyone else uses.

I'm also not impressed with the mediocre VI values.

ASTM D5800 calls for testing for 1 hour at 250C if I'm not mistaken, and D5800 is what SOPUS is listing in this PDS.

I do agree though that these NOACK numbers looks suspiciously good and SOPUS has been known to make mistakes in their PDS docs.

Originally Posted By: engineerscott
Isn't it a little odd that the Noack volatility for the 5W-30 is a bit worse than the Noack for the 5W-20?

Not really. For example, Amsoil Signature Series 5w-30 has higher NOACK than their 5w-20 as well.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: engineerscott
Isn't it a little odd that the Noack volatility for the 5W-30 is a bit worse than the Noack for the 5W-20?

Not really. For example, Amsoil Signature Series 5w-30 has higher NOACK than their 5w-20 as well.

Well, I suppose it's possible that SOPUS is concentrating its effort on the 5W-20 product (and it's therefore getting the latest technology) since that is what is being called for on must new cars, but all things being equal (i.e. the same technology being applied to both products) I would think the higher viscosity product would have the lower Noack.

My general thinking is that, assuming the same base stocks are used for all grades, the higher the viscosity spread, the more VIIs are added. And the more VIIs you have, the more volatile the resulting concoction.

I understand it's not always the case though.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
My general thinking is that, assuming the same base stocks are used for all grades, the higher the viscosity spread, the more VIIs are added. And the more VIIs you have, the more volatile the resulting concoction.

I understand it's not always the case though.

That is pretty much true. It's possible these oils use little/no VI's. Who knows...

No TBN either. I wonder if it's a low SAP oil like M1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back