New Pennzoil ULTRA PDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish they'd wake up and get a 0W20 and a 0W30 PU to the market place. Wake up Pennzoil!
33.gif

I called Pennzoil and told them about the old Ultra PDS link on their website that is found on their home page. The person I spoke with thanked me for letting her know about it and she is planning on updating it.

She said the specs from the May 2012 PDS are current. In that case, Ultra is probably the best PCMO right now available in certain grades. The lowest NOACK available, and incredible performance on the IIIG/IVA tests.

With NOACK volatility that low, they must be using GTL or PAO.

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140007304052_201207271342.pdf

Originally Posted By: buster
I called Pennzoil and told them about the old Ultra PDS link on their website that is found on their home page. The person I spoke with thanked me for letting her know about it and she is planning on updating it.

She said the specs from the May 2012 PDS are current. In that case, Ultra is probably the best PCMO right now available in certain grades. The lowest NOACK available, and incredible performance on the IIIG/IVA tests.

With NOACK volatility that low, they must be using GTL or PAO.

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140007304052_201207271342.pdf

The Ultra MSDS' first line is "Fischer-Tropsch derived base oil,...". Fischer-Tropsch is a key process in creating GTL products, so that'd be my guess.

I know everyone says 10w-30 is a dead grade, but look at that: NOACK 4.8% HTHS 3.3. I keep saying it, but I'm finally going to try PU in my GTO.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I'm sure the new low VI will give CATERHAM a seizure
grin.gif

No doubt.
lol.gif
It has about the same VI as GC.

Yeah, I'll avoid PU because despite showing superior cleanliness results in the demanding IIIG, and performing well on other ASTM tests and meeting the most demanding OEM specs, it has a lower VI.

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

The new PDS is for SN.

Released right after I bought SM.

But it's application will do many short trips and with a 5.5 V8 it is rarely pushed so it seems the SM is maybe more appropriate for my usage.

Ultra Euro 5w-40 PDS was also recently updated. VI went down, but so did NOACK, from 10% to 6.8%.

New HT/HS: 3.88 cP, up from 3.68 cP previously.

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140007500286_20130123090_5.pdf

Kind of similar to changes Mobil 1 made to their 0W-40 with the API SN reformulation? HTHS went up slightly, VI goes down a bit, NOACK % drops, right?

Must be something driven by those crazy German performance engine manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I'm sure the new low VI will give CATERHAM a seizure
grin.gif

No doubt.
lol.gif
It has about the same VI as GC.

Yeah, I'll avoid PU because despite showing superior cleanliness results in the demanding IIIG, and performing well on other ASTM tests and meeting the most demanding OEM specs, it has a lower VI.

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Kind of similar to changes Mobil 1 made to their 0W-40 with the API SN reformulation? HTHS went up slightly, VI goes down a bit, NOACK % drops, right?

Must be something driven by those crazy German performance engine manufacturers.
Maybe they've found the turbos need it.

I hate CAFE - they are making our oils thicker.

Originally Posted By: FoxS

I hate CAFE - they are making our oils thicker.

That's the first time I've heard that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back