New Pennzoil ULTRA PDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil cares about cost like any other company. The fact that they don't reveal whether the ss line is IV/V is telling imo. I believe they use multiple base oils like their competitors.

They used to love to claim how they were IV/V back in the day. That has changed. Their dealers would often use that as a selling point. "We are a true syn and the others are hydrocracked grp III's". So much for that. They are doing what the others have been doing for awhile.

What ever happened to the Valvoline SynPower 5w30 SN w/ the super low NOACK? I remember a lot of us not believing that. But then some guy emailed them & said they said it was correct. Did it eventually get disproved as I suspect? If not then maybe Pennzoil seen that and reacted and are trying to compete. I still think no way, that's Red Line, Dominator, XPR, 300v NOACK numbers. I wish it was right but my common sense says very unlikely.

On the other side of that coin, my common sense tells me if they didn't edit the PDS and also actually added low NOACK as one of the oils feature benefits then it probably is correct.

I believe we see this issue in the same light. It is not intention to flame Amsoil. It is my intention to inform. They made a big change in their formulations and were not imho transparent with their old customer base. Somehow right or wrong I feel cheated. I have made adjustments accordingly. BITOG has been instrumental in helping me get great deals and debunking the hype.
As for Penzoil Ultra, the low noack number is suspect in that Motul can not make these numbers.

Originally Posted By: BigBird57
I believe we see this issue in the same light. It is not intention to flame Amsoil. It is my intention to inform. They made a big change in their formulations and were not imho transparent with their old customer base. Somehow right or wrong I feel cheated. I have made adjustments accordingly. BITOG has been instrumental in helping me get great deals and debunking the hype.
As for Penzoil Ultra, the low noack number is suspect in that Motul can not make these numbers.

Motul can't make GTL.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite

Motul can't make GTL.

GTL is Group III/III+. I have a hard time picturing it has a lower NOACK than PAO or POE.

A google of GTL delivers lots of articles about its low NOACK properties.
Maybe its possible we don't know as much about this GTL as some people thought (not meaning you or anyone in particular, just in general). If this is really correct this oil looks great at a low price.

Just one thing i was reading.
http://www.yubase.com/eng/download/articles/15.pdf

Edit What makes GTL GP III could it be they had no other classification to put it in?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Maybe its possible we don't know as much about this GTL as some people thought (not meaning you or anyone in particular, just in general). If this is really correct this oil looks great at a low price.

Edit What makes GTL GP III could it be they had no other classification to put it in?

Good question Trav. For me GTL is as synthetic as one can get and makes the Group III is not a syn quite outdated. I'll have to research a bit more...

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Motul can't make GTL.

GTL is Group III/III+. I have a hard time picturing it has a lower NOACK than PAO or POE.

GTL Is Group III in name only. It doesn't really fit anywhere. It's closer to Group IV in the way it's made than it is to Group III.

The GTL issue is interesting. This raises another question. Did the major players have to add the group III (+) in their basestocks to get the Dexos1/GF5 rating?

I don't think they needed to for the GF5 rating, but so far I haven't seen a dexos1 oil that wasn't at least semi-synthetic.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Motul can't make GTL.

GTL Is Group III in name only. It doesn't really fit anywhere. It's closer to Group IV in the way it's made than it is to Group III.

According to slide 24 of the Yubase presentation that Trav linked to, SK Lubricants classes GTL apart from GrpIII, and with PAO. Why would GTL not be considered GrpIV, since it is synthesized from gas to liquid? That chart does indeed show that GTL has lower NOACK than PAO.

I guess I don't really care where it is classed, as long as it performs well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav

Interesting that Petro-Canada makes more GIII than XOM.......

Why isn't PU 5W30labeled a 0W30? It looks like it meets the specs? Is it because it would sell less as a 0W30?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Why isn't PU 5W30labeled a 0W30? It looks like it meets the specs? Is it because it would sell less as a 0W30?

According to the API rules, if it meets a 0W-30 it must be labeled as a 0W-30, i.e. the lowest W grade it fully satisfies. With a CCS of 4,000 cP @ -30C it will not likely pass the 0W spec of 6,200 cP at -35C.

Tom NJ

Tom has already commented as follows:

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Originally Posted By: LineArrayNut
looks like that pearl gtl is the real thing; this noack is as good as redline's esters, eh?

The Noack volatility for GTL is similar to PAO and both are much higher than esters.

Typical Noack volatility for 4 cSt base oils:

Group III = 14-15%
PAO = 11-14%
GTL = 12-13%
POE = 6%

Tom NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back