New Pennzoil ULTRA PDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would any oil company pick on anyone else?
When you live in a glass house you do not need to throw rocks.
All of them are using group III or group III+ basestocks. 2/3's of Amsoil's line is group III.

I don't care what they are using, but I don't like companies that are sloppy with updating their product data sheets and or have errors on them.

I agree with Buster.

I've been a Pennzoil fanboy for years, even before joining BITOG, and I find their recent actions concerning the updating (or lack thereof) of their website and the PDSs full of inconsistencies to be really disappointing.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: BigBird57
2/3's of Amsoil's line is group III.

Simply not true.

Pablo, I read somewhere that Amsoil Signature series is mostly PAO and with some esters right?...

It's always been assumed the SS line is IV/V, but Amsoil no longer states what base oils they use.

Based on Noack volatility, I would lean towards thinking they are IV/V, but I would not be surprised if they are using some Grp III as well.

Originally Posted By: mrcoolguy

Pablo, I read somewhere that Amsoil Signature series is mostly PAO and with some esters right?...

That's not what I was referring to when responding to the other fellow, but I believe you are in the correct ballpark.

Why would any oil company pick on anyone else?
When you live in a glass house you do not need to throw rocks.
All of them are using group III or group III+ basestocks. 2/3's of Amsoil's line is group III.

Its not about picking on it. Its just marketing eg Valvoline and Castrol were advertising a little while ago how much that their 5W30 provided so much more times protection than other Blah.Oils.

One brand will hype over another brand from time to time and quote what their test result was.

Amsoil periodically tests various oils and the Noack test is one these that is used to compare their products against them.

Nothing sinister, I am not sure what your are reading into my comments.

If a Noack of 5% cannot be achieved by others for the same grade then I am sure one of the other brands will point it out. BTW Redline can only achieve 6% at best for its Noack value and thats with POE and PAO oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster
It's always been assumed the SS line is IV/V, but Amsoil no longer states what base oils they use.

Based on Noack volatility, I would lean towards thinking they are IV/V, but I would not be surprised if they are using some Grp III as well.

There ya go.

I'd say their OE is a mostly group III product, with XL and SS lineup(we all know thats the so called 2/3s poke lol) having PAO(more than, not sure if their OE has base PAO but who knows? lol) and probably esters in some fashion at least as part of the add pack.

honestly, I could really care less about splitting hairs. I like Amsoil products, I like a lot of different brands of products out there. It stinks things get all political and we all can't just like various products and leave advertisement talk to the uninformed.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Originally Posted By: buster

There ya go.

I'd say their OE is a mostly group III product, with XL and SS lineup(we all know thats the so called 2/3s poke lol) having PAO(more than, not sure if their OE has base PAO but who knows? lol) and probably esters in some fashion at least as part of the add pack.

honestly, I could really care less about splitting hairs. I like Amsoil products, I like a lot of different brands of products out there. It stinks things get all political and we all can't just like various products and leave advertisement talk to the uninformed.
grin2.gif

Actually OE and XL have the exact same base oils. That's a given. The 2/3's comment would only be true if you neglect ALL Amsoil's other products.

PU looks like a 0W30? Similar base-stock? From the data presented here they look very similar.

Please enlighten me. I called Mr. Peterson directly as a long time preferred customer.
We have three lines with Amsoil. The OE ,the XL and the SSO. The first two are group III or Group III+ basestocks. To get the PAO version you must purchase the SSO.
I used the old formula 5w-30 Full Synthetic. This was PAO based. When the OE line came along everything changed.
For clarity, Mr. Peterson was professional and did not divulge any information other than Amsoil uses all of the available basestocks. Amsoil is now doing the same thing as Castrol and Mobil. Using Group III and calling it fully synthetic. I remember when the XL 7500 was listed as semi-synthetic and now the XL 10000 is fully synthetic. Go figure
frown.gif

Please enlighten me.
We have three lines with Amsoil. The OE ,the XL and the SSO.

Amsoil has more than three lines of motor oils is all I'm saying. If you go here you will see a variety of oils, besides the three you list. Euro oils, Premium line full synthetic (PAO based, older formulations), Z-rod oils:

Amsoil PCMO's

Amsoil has full line of dual use oils, often recommended by me for gas engines:

Amsoil HDEO's

Amsoil also has a line for race car engines:

Racing Oils

Plus a full line up of motorsport/powersport/MC/boating/power equipment oils which can also be used in cars.

So to say Amsoil has three lines, is not correct. It's not even correct to say Amsoil has three lines of PCMO's.

I should have stated 2/3 of their PCMO offerings. I still use the 5w-30 Series 3000 HDD for my Duramax Diesel.I have the bypass filtration system for this truck as well. However for my gas engines I will purchase whatever I find on sale.
The free after mir for the G-oil will be my next fill for the gassers that use 5w-30 SM.

If you are going to do that, you should give the OE a try since you are already a PC. It's cost is already lower than many group III's on the shelf. Bottom line, Amsoil recognizes extended drains are not for everyone and if you aren't doing extended drains, (or other extremes) then you really don't need a PAO/Ester oil. Unless you have a sludge engine with an OLM.

That is exactly what I did when I lost access to the "old" 5w-30. I ordered three cases of the "OE" and I change oil when the OLM alarms . Prior to this I ran the oil and filter for one year.
I was a staunch Amsoil advocate however with the gas engines it is difficult to turn down free or almost free oil. The RP at pep boys was great at 5 qts/ $35 with a RP filter. I use this in a 2008 Honda Accord in 5w-20.
Amsoil is a fine product but I feel my boutique oil has lost some of its uniqueness.
I still struggle to realise that Full(y) Synthetic is a marketing term. Eventually I will get over it! lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back