Unveiling the Superiority of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Oil: A Detailed Analysis by Mr. Lake Speed Jr.

• Thread starter Deleted member 89374
  • Start date
Again, no one can tell the difference between mechanical shear of the VM and fuel dilution via a Blackstone analysis. That's what Overkill is saying.
My UOA represented several longer trips of 500+ miles towing, truck camper, or both at the same time. My understanding is that fuel dilution would not be the issue with the long trips??? Please help me understand. TIA

This thread title is more hat than cattle 🐄
I know, like, and have used PUP extensively. It’s a really good “shelf” oil that can’t be found on shelves anymore. If you get it on sale on WM or Amazon, it’s a good value. It works well.

However, for those wanting dexos certs, it’s not there. For those wanting an oil that says it’s 15-20k capable, it’s not there. For those wanting very high HTHS & KV100 for a given grade, it’s not there. But guess what? It works really well. I ran 17k+ on PUP in my Fusion. If I hadn’t come across HPL, I would still be using PUP exclusively.

As it sits, if I was servicing FnF that wasn’t willing to spend the ~15% price premium for HPL, I would still recommend PUP. But to put it on a pedestal when M1 FS 0w40 is available for ~$27/5qts, PUP is third-tier at best.

I proved to you guys years ago based on UOAs that PUP was better than the critics said it was, so it’s quite bittersweet to see some of you fawn all over today like there’s some magical revelation thanks to LSJ 🤣

I went 17k+ on PUP about 4 years ago and some folks said I was crazy and that PUP wasn’t fit to be a long drain oil…
I did the same on M1 AFE 0W-20 in my 2010 FX4 while towing heavy in all manner of climates and conditions. It depends more on the engine than the oil. Low mechanical shear, low fuel dilution, and good engine design trump the oil itself.

My son has been using PUP 0W-20 in his 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3 with AFM. 146,000 miles he has had no problem with stuck lifters or cam damage. We do change it every 5,000 miles. We do not wait for the OLM to go off. I think PUP is helping avoid all the problems you hear about with Active Fuel Management.
I have a truck that comes into the shop (5.3) with 220,000 ish miles. The guy runs it down to 0% Everytime, and uses our bulk (Mobil 1) dealer oil with a pf63, and no issues at all. I think it comes down to luck of the draw tbh.
Also 6.2's seem to drop lifters more often.

I have a truck that comes into the shop (5.3) with 220,000 ish miles. The guy runs it down to 0% Everytime, and uses our bulk (Mobil 1) dealer oil with a pf63, and no issues at all. I think it comes down to luck of the draw tbh.
Yep, engineer at work at 170k on a 2015 … M1 AFE @ 5k OCI’s

I did the same on M1 AFE 0W-20 in my 2010 FX4 while towing heavy in all manner of climates and conditions. It depends more on the engine than the oil. Low mechanical shear, low fuel dilution, and good engine design trump the oil itself.
I would argue against that, based on personal and fleet data. You can search “3.5 EcoBoost” UOAs here, and you will find 99% of the sensationalists screaming 5k OCIs or DIE!! but yet when you look at a good oil (HPL PCEO) going 15-20k OCIs with hundreds of idle hours in some of the harshest conditions known, and there are zero failures or other issues… that’s not a function of the engine.

That’s because the oil is more robust and more resistant to oxidation. I went from subpar 6k OCIs with Ravenol DXG to 15k OCIs using the cheaper yet more robust HPL PCEO & No VII oils with 2.5x longer OCIs. There certainly are some engines that are super easy on oils (Ford Vulcan 3.0 & 4.6 are some) that can go ridiculous distances on just about any oil. But there is definitely a higher tier of oils that show statistically significant performance differences on some of the more difficult engine families. 👍🏻

Yeah, I think it’s very much luck of the draw with these things. I actually think the harder you run them, and the less it switches into V4 mode, the less problems you tend to have. IMO.

I would argue against that, based on personal and fleet data. You can search “3.5 EcoBoost” UOAs here, and you will find 99% of the sensationalists screaming 5k OCIs or DIE!! but yet when you look at a good oil (HPL PCEO) going 15-20k OCIs with hundreds of idle hours in some of the harshest conditions known, and there are zero failures or other issues… that’s not a function of the engine.

That’s because the oil is more robust and more resistant to oxidation. I went from subpar 6k OCIs with Ravenol DXG to 15k OCIs using the cheaper yet more robust HPL PCEO & No VII oils with 2.5x longer OCIs. There certainly are some engines that are super easy on oils (Ford Vulcan 3.0 & 4.6 are some) that can go ridiculous distances on just about any oil. But there is definitely a higher tier of oils that show statistically significant performance differences on some of the more difficult engine families. 👍🏻
LOL - of course you would. However, it does not change the fact that I was able to use not one, but two oils that have never been associated with long drains to achieve long OCIs. Mobil Super 5000 for over 10K miles and Mobil 1 AFE for over 15K miles and could have gone further. @dnewton3 was cheering from the sidelines for me to do exactly that.

Neither of those oils are “robust” as well as being API SM (AFE may have been API SN, but not SN+) and the fact that I could run them for as long as I did speaks far more (as I have said) to the engine design than the oil itself. Your point is valid in that there are oils that can help compensate for poor engine design and conditions such as your 3.5L Ecoboost example, but again it points to the engine and its design being an issue and not the oil being a savior.

Last edited:
LOL - of course you would. However, it does not change the fact that I was able to use not one, but two oils that have never been associated with long drains to achieve long OCIs. Mobil Super 5000 for over 10K miles and Mobil 1 AFE for over 15K miles and could have gone further. @dnewton3 was cheering from the sidelines for me to do exactly that.

Neither of those oils are “robust” as well as being API SM (AFE may have been API SN, but not SN+) and the fact that I could run them for as long as I did speaks far more (as I have said) to the engine design than the oil itself. Your point is valid in that there are oils that can help compensate for poor engine design and conditions such as your 3.5L Ecoboost example, but again it points to the engine and its design being an issue and not the oil being a savior.
Those were excellent and informative posts. Many thanks for doing that. It opened a lot of eyes (hopefully).

Back