LSJr's Video Testing Data - Pennzoil and Quaker State's Differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
The video proves another one of my points in that he needs to think about his presentation. Maybe he needs to put up a simple PowerPoint presentation. The hand movements, the facial expressions, the droning on and on and the music. Do we need this for an oil presentation?
You're developing an unhealthy obsession with Lake Speed, Jr. Maybe you should forget about him and move on.

If you want to have an off topic personal conversation about topics such as my personal posting style I am available by private message.
As I said, I like to have these conversations right out in the open. I've made my criticisms as to your method of interaction (not responding to numerous extremely valid points by various members in myriad threads) quite clear. It's not your posting style, it's your (lack of) interaction with people who reply to you, this thread being the obvious exception, since you are actually bothering to respond here (which I appreciate BTW).
I have spoken to staff members in the past and this is their preference for off topic material.
Once again, you drove this thread off-topic (and continue to do so) with your struggle in accepting LSJ as any sort of SME due to what you feel are inadequate credentials. This seems a bit odd, since you don't appear to be qualified to be making that judgement 🤷‍♂️

I have 2 degrees in geology, I think I'm going to look into getting this tribology cert so I can destroy people here on BITOG. $4500. 1 week. I've taken classes this long/this cost at Colorado School of Mines....I can write it off to my business. I'm in. Prepare to be destroyed BITOG peasants!
Mines is quite the school/challenge. go orediggers!

The video proves another one of my points in that he needs to think about his presentation. Maybe he needs to put up a simple PowerPoint presentation. The hand movements, the facial expressions, the droning on and on and the music. Do we need this for an oil presentation?
Please stop, reading your continuous whining is worse. You've mucked up enough here & completely dramatized your statements over & over & over. Of course you miss the meat & potatoes of the actual reason for the post & it was not for YOUR video proof bullet points. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
As I said, I like to have these conversations right out in the open. I've made my criticisms as to your method of interaction (not responding to numerous extremely valid points by various members in myriad threads) quite clear. It's not your posting style, it's your (lack of) interaction with people who reply to you, this thread being the obvious exception, since you are actually bothering to respond here (which I appreciate BTW).

Once again, you drove this thread off-topic (and continue to do so) with your struggle in accepting LSJ as any sort of SME due to what you feel are inadequate credentials. This seems a bit odd, since you don't appear to be qualified to be making that judgement 🤷‍♂️
Perhaps if the expressions and hand waving are an issue - folks can listen to LSJr without video - I just did … 🙄
(Yes, I did have a fake fireplace on the 65” 👀)

Probably a good idea to start a new thread and discuss these credential issues and what we should do about it, as a community. We can't have non-degreed people giving authorative lubrication advice. Do you agree?

Aww man… guess I need to quit the internet.

What university offers “Grew up in the oil business” degree? And “owns one of the largest distributors in the U.S.”? (Sarcasm edit.)

Also the CLS test is not a joke. (OMA-1 sorta is. Never bothered getting it since I have my CLS.)

Last edited:

What university offers “Grew up in the oil business” degree?

Also the CLS test is not a joke.
That comment was sarcasm, but for obvious reasons, I couldn't put a "/s" at the end. 🤣

I've met enough people that have various degrees and have zero experience in their fields, or that didn't amount to anything. Truth be told, without the right connections, without the right degree, and if you're not very good in your particular field, you're just another deadbeat with a student loan hanging over you for the rest of your life. That is today's reality.

I've been a PhD (Poor, Hungry, and Desperate) many times in life, and had to crawl back up out of it. Hard work and a atrong will is what it takes, and a friend or two don't hurt either. Then again, I don't care about other people's fancy credentials, I care about them, who they are, and I can get along with them.

That comment was sarcasm, but for obvious reasons, I couldn't use a "/s" at the end. 🤣

I've met enough people that have various degrees and have zero experience in those fields, or that didn't amount to anything. Truth be told, without the right connections, without the right degree, and if you're not very good in your particular field, you're just another deadbeat with a student loan hanging over you for the rest of your life. That today's reality.

I've been a PhD (Poor, Hungry, and Desperate) many times in life, and had to crawl back up out of it. Hard work and a atrong will is what it takes, and a friend or two don't hurt either. Then again, I don't care about other people's fancy credentials, I care about them, who they are, and I can get along with them.

Yes my comment was very sarcastic. (I do actually have a wild sense of humor.) I actually like your questions you’ve posted to me.

Most people here have been very nice here. Even though I may personally eye roll at the splitting hairs at time.

What university offers “Grew up in the oil business” degree? And “owns one of the largest distributors in the U.S.”? (Sarcasm edit.)

Also the CLS test is not a joke. (OMA-1 sorta is. Never bothered getting it since I have my CLS.)
Some might agree that LSJr had some solid OTJ training as well …

Some might agree that LSJr had some solid OTJ training as well …

Anyone who sat through the CLS test has to have some real world experience and knowledge. Without a doubt.

It’s not a “I read this book” and going to pass the test. It’s a legitimately hard test. Hardest test I’ve ever sat for. I know chemists who have failed it, I know mechanical engineers who have failed it. I know all sorts of people who have failed it.

You absolutely do need on the job, practical knowledge to pass it.

Fun story. One of the guys who mentored me, that I took several classes from. And I consider a really good friend. (Works for one of the majors.) After I told him I passed the test. He told me he was one of the question writers for STLE on the test.

You can imagine the fun choice of words I had after that.

Very interesting video! I have a few comments.

- The use of virgin oxidation as the condemnation metric seems problematic to me with respect to the vintage Mobil 1 (and perhaps the Valvoline too), because we know it used esters to offset the impacts of the PAO base oil that it was comprised of. That oil is from LONG before Group III entered the picture. This is pre Tri-Syn as well, so no AN's. If we look at a VOA of Redline, virgin oxidation is similar, as is I suspect the base oil composition:
1709310571022.jpg

- The TBN observation for the old Mobil makes sense, as it's got 2,663ppm of Calcium, which should make for a healthy TBN, but it's not, it's neutered (you can compare that to the Redline VOA above too). Here's an old VOA of Mobil Special 5W-30 with similar calcium, TBN is 8.3:
Screen Shot 2024-03-01 at 11.48.30 AM.jpg

- The foaming comparison was wild. Reminds me of that test that was done back when this board was in diapers, I think it was by Bob himself, using Shaeffers and comparing it to some other lube? That old gear oil tested by Lake was AWFUL, which supports the conclusion for not using it.

- If the Mobil product was API SF (as it says in the VOA), then it is 1980 or newer, since according to Lubrizol, API SF was introduced in 1980. So that makes that oil at the most, 44 years old.

This thread has run its course.
We're getting a lot of arguing about posting styles, etc.
Enough.
Locked.

If you want to discuss the "Shake before use" LSJr video, it exists in another thread here on BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back