New Kimber

The whole made in New York etched in was enough to push me away.Hopefully they can get out here to Free America. Nice looking though and sure its plenty accurate.

I can sure understand the Anti-NY commentary. I'm New England by birth and spirit. It is not easy to describe NY at this time. We have certainly been suppressed by this governor. What keeps many here is the incredible opportunities for my kids that, despite the horrible governance remains. By this I don't mean NYC. Westchester still remains viable and full of opportunity to earn a good living. I have lived in Dutchess County for 16 years now. The growth is real and survived the virus heartily. The Hudson Valley is a solid place to live. I believe in cycles and I sure hope to see things turn around in the larger cities.

To the issue of Kimber in Yonkers. They have been a community orientated manufacturer despite the pressures received from Albany. They gave back a lot and the jobs were many. I worked with them building a base of sniper rifles for my department. They were as helpful to a small city department as they were for a large city purchasing 5x the product we were. Class operation. Something they did was to offer Westchester cops increased discounts. They also used guns for shows and demo purposes and circulated lists that often had 100 or more handguns and rifles on it at substantial discounts. They considered a gun used for a gun show as "used."

I made some selections before they moved to keep the Yonkers stamps. :D

Looking forward to the Kodak moments when the custom grips are ready … good work pop !

I agree... OP please post a pic. What wood are they made of? I love a figured walnut or an ironwood on a 1911.

I agree... OP please post a pic. What wood are they made of? I love a figured walnut or an ironwood on a 1911.
They are from the original deck boards from the Battleship Texas which I believe is oak. Here is a stock image of them:

BTF-Grips.jpg

You're thinking Teak? I'm thrown off by the grain pattern for teak. I'm guessing genuine mahogany (Philippine wouldn't have been used back then). If it's oak I've never seen the grain pattern shown. Beautiful nonetheless. I like them a lot.

It is hard to tell but those grips do look great. I thought of teak mainly because it’s a popular wood on boats.

Did some research. The battleship decks were indeed teak. Two inches thick and bolted to the steel decking underneath. They did that because wood provided a deck surface that was not as slippery as steel. That last part is interesting because they could put sand down on the wet deck paint to provide a non skid surface then paint that again. That’s what we did in the 70’s

It is hard to tell but those grips do look great. I thought of teak mainly because it’s a popular wood on boats.

Did some research. The battleship decks were indeed teak. Two inches thick and bolted to the steel decking underneath. They did that because wood provided a deck surface that was not as slippery as steel. That last part is interesting because they could put sand down on the wet deck paint to provide a non skid surface then paint that again. That’s what we did in the 70’s

Cool Beans! Thanks for looking into it. I checked out the ship briefly and that is one he XX of a history. Great heirloom to give a son and the grips the OP choose looks beautiful. As a dad I don't know who to feel the best for!! Dad or son! That's a great problem to have! May this pistol remain in the family for many generations to come.

Years ago we were closing a small port facility in Africa - but it was my first time there. Spotted 3 massive piles of tree trunks. Asked about them. Teak deal gone bad … had been sitting there four years. (it rains there often) … the wood was still solid …

Teak is both weather and insect resistant

I have been thinking about getting a Kimber in 45 ACP. But I never thought about 9mm on a 1911 frame.

That is a really nice gift. I still have every firearm that my dad gave me. They remind me of good memories and I think of dad every time I look at them. First lesson from my dad was “never let the sun set on a dirty gun..” Well, actually it was being safe and responsible.

Back