New Jaguar / Land Rover Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 Jaguar XJL which requires Castrol Edge Professional OE (SLX) 5w20 "Specially engineered for Jaguar and Land Rover". This oil can only be purchased from a Jaguar or Land Rover Dealer.

For this Vehicle, Castrol recommends using Castrol EDGE 5W-20 which can be purchase anywhere.

What is the difference between Castrol Edge Professional OE (SLX) 5w20 and Castrol EDGE 5W-20?

Look for Castrol Edge with Titanium in the gold bottle if you can find it. It's probably a better oil, but hard to tell. It can be purchased at various walmarts or on the web. They replaced it with newer black bottles that don't have titanium IIRC.

Here is the PDS of both side by side, with the Pro OE 5w20 on the left and the Edge with Syntec (Black Bottle) on the right.

http://i39.tinypic.com/24c8kec.jpg

Be careful if you have warranty on the clock. I have a 2011 xjl as well. Seems that the SLX meets the requirement of 5W-20 meeting Jaguar specification WSS M2C925-A only. I have done a ton of research and have not found one other oil that says it meets this crazy spec. Somewhere on this site, I read that the SLX has a dye in it. So the man can tell if you used some thing other than an or the oil that meets WSS M2C 925-A. OBTW. this is a Ford spec.
Joe

Originally Posted By: Too_many_Cars
Be careful if you have warranty on the clock. I have a 2011 xjl as well. Seems that the SLX meets the requirement of 5W-20 meeting Jaguar specification WSS M2C925-A only. I have done a ton of research and have not found one other oil that says it meets this crazy spec. Somewhere on this site, I read that the SLX has a dye in it. So the man can tell if you used some thing other than an or the oil that meets WSS M2C 925-A. OBTW. this is a Ford spec.
Joe

If its a ford spec doesn't pretty much every SN 5w-20 meet it?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
If its a ford spec doesn't pretty much every SN 5w-20 meet it?

Nope, it's a strange Ford 5w-20 spec that's somehow in conjunction with A5/B5. Why M1 no longer has it, I'll never know. And why Castrol would attach it to their OE line instead of Syntec is a similar mystery.

Its one of many strange Euro specs. Castrol, and others, have so many variants of oils for specific manufacturers. Check out Castrols UK website or a UK retailer like Halfords.

I was lucky, our 2011 XJL came with service for four years.
Jaguar XJL, what is the dealer getting for an oil change?
I don't think I want to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back