New Fram Ultra Media?

Which apparently is the correct decision by Amazon.
A say a little pre-mature because the reply from Fram was that the filters needed to be reviewed by someone else. So, not ruled counterfeit or real. Plus you don't know the content of my reviews. One asked if they could be counterfeit and the other was just a regular review with the pictures I posted with descriptions. I never stated in my first review that they were counterfeit only asked if they could be. I stated I had concerns about their authenticity because of the obvious differences from the South Korean filters.

A say a little pre-mature because the reply from Fram was that the filters needed to be reviewed by someone else. So, not ruled counterfeit or real. Plus you don't know the content of my reviews. One asked if they could be counterfeit and the other was just a regular review with the pictures I posted with descriptions. I never stated in my first review that they were counterfeit only asked if they could be. I stated I had concerns about their authenticity because of the obvious differences from the South Korean filters.

Fram's technical department didn't search to see if the question has been answered before. That's not Amazon's fault

From the link posted earlier by @drtyler:
Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 12.10.45 AM.png

Last edited:
Had to pick up a few odds and ends at WM yesterday so thought I'd check out the topic cartridge. The two I looked at appeared very similar to pics here, same coo. The second one I looked at had a similar to topic pic lint/fuzz spot extending/hanging from one pleat. Making no judgement if that means anything, just an observation. Same as here, I didn't see any backing on the media. With even more evidence added, I believe those received are authentic Fram.

Fwiw I partially agree with the OP in the wrangler link, previous XG11665 was "very high quality". I'm not going to say the new one is "junk", but 'to my eye' it doesn't appear to be equivalent quality to previous. Now curious what the media on new XG cartridges that are made in US look like.

Last edited:
I am done with Fram. I am sure they make good stuff still, but, soon as they cheaped out on the Ultra with the wire backed synthetic media, I knew it was going to be a ripple affect.

When your top products is effected, everything else is effected.

I am done with Fram. I am sure they make good stuff still, but, soon as they cheaped out on the Ultra with the wire backed synthetic media, I knew it was going to be a ripple affect.

When your top products is effected, everything else is effected.

Good. I’ll still use fram tough guard. I have the guts to use them to their full advertised rating OCI

Good. I’ll still use fram tough guard. I have the guts to use them to their full advertised rating OCI
Good on you. That's the beauty living in a capitalistic society, choices galore and if you use your own money, no one can tell you otherwise.

I know they make good oil filters still, I have used them religiously on my cars in the past. I know the filtration efficiency has stayed the same, if not gotten better with the new Ultra and the Tough Guard is a stout filter as well.

However these are preludes for things to come in my opinion. The problem isn't the companies going cheap, the problem is the people that sit there accepting changes and continue to buy said cheapened products and overall garbage (not pointing to Fram specifically).

If you are not bothered by the changes made to the Ultra, then good! Keep buying it and spending your money on it, who am I to tell you where to spend your money? I could care less and support freedom of choice. I currently use filters with wire backed media and to me, it's that extra peace of mind. Subjective? Sure. Objective? Sure.

Good on you. That's the beauty living in a capitalistic society, choices galore and if you use your own money, no one can tell you otherwise.

I know they make good oil filters still, I have used them religiously on my cars in the past. I know the filtration efficiency has stayed the same, if not gotten better with the new Ultra and the Tough Guard is a stout filter as well.

However these are preludes for things to come in my opinion. The problem isn't the companies going cheap, the problem is the people that sit there accepting changes and continue to buy said cheapened products and overall garbage (not pointing to Fram specifically).

If you are not bothered by the changes made to the Ultra, then good! Keep buying it and spending your money on it, who am I to tell you where to spend your money? I could care less and support freedom of choice. I currently use filters with wire backed media and to me, it's that extra peace of mind. Subjective? Sure. Objective? Sure.
I agree here-I still buy and use the Extra Guard & Tough Guard filters when I can pick them up for a reasonable price, for a reasonable OCI of 1 year/7500 miles or less-but the Ultra has abdicated it’s throne of a superior built all synthetic media non-junk filter for a non-ridiculous price. The new Ultra literally FAILED on all 3 of its’ best features at ONCE! That’s not easy to do…

And BTW, they don't just play soccer in Brazil, I knew many Automotive exectutives from Brazil, all highly educated ~ granted I was only seeing the top levels.
Isn’t Brazil a very important market for VW and Ford? A lot of the aftermarket for older VWs is from Brazil. I think Carlos Ghosn spent time in Brazil with either Michelin or Renault.

Finally got a reply from Fram.
View attachment 134174
Whoever that is from Fram Tech Hotline is wrong in the description of the media. The old wire backed media was also dual layer. And the new media is not a dual layer synthetic media. It's a shame that people working in company customer service positions don't know the technical details they should know to hold such a job.

Back