New Fram Ultra Media?

This is why I don't generally buy any auto parts from Amazon anymore. There are tons and tons of fakes/counterfeits/etc. Same applies with tools and appliances. It is incredibly easy to counterfeit many items.

The majority of reviews are fake as well. Bots are made and people are paid to write thousands upon thousands of reviews.

That filter may be fine to run, but I doubt it is what you ordered. I also found a review for another Fram Filter on Amazon shown below in like 10 seconds stating they had the same issue as you are pointing out. You can also see the pictures people post on Amazon and half the filters look normal and half look like yours. It is possible there is a "Wal Mart Effect" in play here where companies are forced to cut corners during production/quality in order to sell at Amazon's price.

XG9972
"Worst filter ever.
The synthetic material in not good at all .
Hair like fibers easily come of from the outer layer when you tough the the filter media by hand. You can see it with naked eyes.
It may filter the contamination but what is the point when it release the fibers during the filtration process .
I strongly advise to check it before installation."
The xg9972 I received from Amazon last month looks excellent.

Definitely different media then all the XG's I've run in our Pentastar engines over the past ten years.
did people miss the large ferocious posts about them changing the ultra? removing the wire mesh backing and cheapening it?
Looks like it made it to the cartridge filters now.

This looks to be the Ultra cartridge application used on the Pentastar 3.6L engine. These have been sourced with a S.Korean coo. Also, they have used a polymer type mesh backing similar to the Puro Boss. Most/all of the comments on this subforum from users of that cartridge have been positive ones.

Imo, this cartridge (especially the media) does not look as well made as the S.Korean sourced Fram cartridge. Also, that's assuming it is an authentic Fram cartridge.
I agree about the South Korean filters, they seem really well made. Good eye, this is for a 3.6 Pentastar. My '22 Gladiator Willys. The filters were purchased from The Fram Store on Amazon.

did people miss the large ferocious posts about them changing the ultra? removing the wire mesh backing and cheapening it?
Nope, but that one looks like ****. The top lettering/numbering doesn’t look no where near whichs make me think it could very well be counterfeit.

1671060201252.jpeg

This is why I don't generally buy any auto parts from Amazon anymore. There are tons and tons of fakes/counterfeits/etc. Same applies with tools and appliances. It is incredibly easy to counterfeit many items.

The majority of reviews are fake as well. Bots are made and people are paid to write thousands upon thousands of reviews.

That filter may be fine to run, but I doubt it is what you ordered. I also found a review for another Fram Filter on Amazon shown below in like 10 seconds stating they had the same issue as you are pointing out. You can also see the pictures people post on Amazon and half the filters look normal and half look like yours. It is possible there is a "Wal Mart Effect" in play here where companies are forced to cut corners during production/quality in order to sell at Amazon's price.

XG9972
"Worst filter ever.
Hair like fibers easily come of from the outer layer when you tough the the filter media by hand. You can see it with naked eyes.
It may filter the contamination but what is the point when it release the fibers during the filtration process .
I tried twice to post a review for the filters on Amazon. Both were posted then promptly removed by someone on their end.

True, except in the case of the topic Pentastar app Ultra cartridge it was rather unique both in construction and coo. Initially it may have used the classic OG Ultra construction made in US. But iirc there may have been some endcap, wire backed media bonding issues. It's a relatively long narrow cartridge, and the move to polymer mesh backing along with the coo change, seemed to solve any issues.

With the latest post by drtyler with link, I'm inclined to believe it is an authentic Fram cartridge. It 'appears' First Brands at it again with this application, doing their worst. :(

THIS is why I don't trust the newer Ultras, First Brands is likely to put about anything "synthetic" in there & call it "good enough"! No one can tell me that fuzzball laden POS couldn't shed fiber during a cold start bypass event & potentially plug a piston cooling nozzle or other small passage-maybe the first rule of oil filters should be "do no harm"...

I tried twice to post a review for the filters on Amazon. Both were posted then promptly removed by someone on their end.
Thought all reviews were reviewed by Amazon before they ever post them. At least that's how all of mine have sent down. Never seen a review post instantly.

XG9972
"Worst filter ever.
I’ve learned this also. Delco cabin filter that came in a Delco box was a no-name piece of junk. Also the last Valvoline oil I received from Amazon was missing the top. Thankfully the foil seal was in tact. Back to Walmart for me….

Economy of scales... not every plant will make every possible PN

Looks like 2 layered media... whitish on the outside and yellowish on the inside... allegedly synth layer over cellulose layer.

I don't see it as a counterfeit. But, I also don't use filters from amazonebay without research.

The older xg9972 that I've used were all excellent. Don't whine about media unless you've worked with media.

Sloppy glue is manufacturing. Its not suppose to be perfect. Its either poured or dipped prior to 'connecting'.

Without a full synthetic media coming from Fram, I have no need to use them anymore.

If you order online, compare what you get with the same part number filters available locally.

On Amazon, the "name" of a store means NOTHING.

Thought all reviews were reviewed by Amazon before they ever post them. At least that's how all of mine have sent down. Never seen a review post instantly.
It was vetted by Amazon and posted. I never said it was instantaneous. I got an email saying it had be removed a short time later.
1000000445.jpg
1000000446.jpg

Attachments

• 1000000445.jpg
    1000000445.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 18
Back