New Extended Drain Interval Mobil Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by jthorner:
Mobil also appears to be trying to figure out how to leverage it's Mobil-1 brand into a bigger portion of the conventional and blended oil market.

Personally I think that the Mobil-1, Mobil-1 EP split will not last. A rational product lineup would be Mobil 5000, Mobil 7500 and Mobil-1 15000.

Good points..I tend to agree. They have pulled out all the stops and are on a major marketing roll. Even the new bottles say "Buy Me"
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by jthorner:
Personally I think that the Mobil-1, Mobil-1 EP split will not last. A rational product lineup would be Mobil 5000, Mobil 7500 and Mobil-1 15000.
I agree. The "regular" Mobil-1 will be gone once they figure out how to make the "EP" meet GF-4. I.e. do it (cheap enough) with <800ppm of Phosphorus as Ted as said earlier. I predict standard M1 in SM formulation is not as good at real extended drains as it used to be, thats why they brought out the 15000.

quote:

agree. The "regular" Mobil-1 will be gone once they figure out how to make the "EP" meet GF-4. I.e. do it (cheap enough) with
Agree. They are indeed working on a 15,000 mile GF-4 oil. They stated this in the press release.

I was told the PDS would be available on the 21st if not then, later this week. We'll see.....the 5000 PDS are out.

i've just switched to the 10w EP this week. i do experience a quieter engine over the 5w-40 suv mobil1 that i've used for 8k miles(it was very very black when drained out). gas millege went up with the m1 ep, which i dont understand since the M1 EP isnt energy conserving rated, but of course i dont care for the symbol. i have always gotten about 300m per fill up before the fuel gauge hit the E, and for the first time i got up to 355m. i know that getting an additional 55m per tank just because of switching to another oil sounds a little far fetch. but that is what i got. btw. i have also put in 20oz of chevron techron stuff on this tank, but i have also done this regularly with each oil change in the past and no significant changes in mpg noticed. my car is an acura rl 3.5L.

CLGUY,

The Mobil 1, extended performance, 5w-30/10w-30 are about 25% thinner than Delvac 1, 5w-40 in terms of high temp/high shear viscosity. That's why you noticed the measurable increase in fuel efficiency.

Tooslick

Mobil just needs to deliver an average vehicle life, which seems to be around 180k miles; 16 years average life with an average of about 11k miles per year. None of the makers that I've run across support extending oil change intervals beyond recommendations just because you're using a synthetic or synthetic blend.

http://www.ran.org/news/newsitem.php?id=1398&area=finance

...For those cars and trucks on the road now, which will have an average life-span of about 16 years, policy must continue to support fuel economy enhancements and the use of alcohol and biofuels, these experts argue.

http://msl1.mit.edu/Mar2Lecture/Use_Safetyc.htm
http://msl1.mit.edu/Mar2Lecture/Use_Safety3.htm

[average of approx 11k miles per year]

quote:

The Mobil 1, extended performance, 5w-30/10w-30 are about 25% thinner than Delvac 1, 5w-40 in terms of high temp/high shear viscosity. That's why you noticed the measurable increase in fuel efficiency.

D1 is a thicke oil even at 40C. When I ran it in the little Toyota I had, it made the car sluggish. Using Amsoil's 5w-40, the car ran great. Something in D1 just didn't work well with that engine. I sometimes think it's not as friction modified and that also makes a difference. You can make a thick oil produce less friction if your using good FM's I imagine.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

D1 is a thicke oil even at 40C. When I ran it in the little Toyota I had, it made the car sluggish. Using Amsoil's 5w-40, the car ran great. Something in D1 just didn't work well with that engine. I sometimes think it's not as friction modified and that also makes a difference. You can make a thick oil produce less friction if your using good FM's I imagine.

I think HDEOs have 'built-in' tachifiers

Sorry if this has already been discussed but here you go. If old school redcap 15w-50 was safe for your motorcycle will the new 15w-50 EP be safe as well? Has anybody tried this yet?

offtopic.gif
maybe a little

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back