New Camshaft Break-in Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
My engine assembly lube was a 50/50 mixture of STP oil treatment and SAE 30 wt. oil. I NEVER lost an engine using this assembly lube. My dad passed this tip onto me. He raced and built engines in the 60's, 70's, & 80's.

What about the filter? Just use the same one till the first real oil change?

You're absolutely correct about the 80's camshafts. ESPECIALLY in a 305 engine! I can't tell you how many 305's I have pulled apart with a broke camshaft or the lobes rounded off so bad! GM did A LOT of finger pointing at the consumer for using the WRONG engine oil. Yeah, right.........
smirk.gif

GM's flat rate warranty time was horrible in the 1980s (don't ask me how I know), but I got to the point where I could change a cam and a set of lifters in a typical GMC pickup in just under 4 hours and the warranty time didn't pay a whole lot more than that if any.

You don't break-in a customer's camshaft as a flat rate dealer tech. You filled the engine with whatever cheap 10W30 that was in the bulk oil dispenser that the parts manager bought on sale and you dumped a can of EOS in the engine like the service bulletin said and you sent the customer on their way after a short road test.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
My engine assembly lube was a 50/50 mixture of STP oil treatment and SAE 30 wt. oil. I NEVER lost an engine using this assembly lube. My dad passed this tip onto me. He raced and built engines in the 60's, 70's, & 80's.

What about the filter? Just use the same one till the first real oil change?

NEVER!

when I was building I used to use the Crane assembly lube.

Wife's captiva diesel got a new cam, lifters and rockers free courtesy of GM a couple weeks back...the bulletin doesn't include an oil change, bit don't know what pre-lube it's got.

I changed the oil the next weekend.
5 litres of this
http://www.shell.com.au/motorists/oils-l...l-ag-5w-30.html

and one of this
https://www.nulon.com.au/images/files/productbulletins/PB-ST25W60.pdf

The latter could probably double as an assembly lube in cooler places.

In the 90's, when I building small block Chevys, my 'break in' oil was 4 quarts of ND30 and a bottle of EOS. That plus the moly paste that I used generously on the cam. The engines that I kept track of are still running today.

Somewhere I read that GM has weakened the additive package of EOS. Can someone verify this?

With regard to priming the pump, the MG guys say to force oil back into the oil cooler fitting on the block. As I thought, there's no pulling the distributor and spinning the pump with a drill like you can on other engines.

Since this isn't a full rebuild and I'm not planning on pulling the engine, I figure I should be okay to prefill the filter and then spinning the engine a few times to at least register oil pressure before starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back