Oil cooler after engine break down

hey guys.

I have a manual BMW E92 M3, V8 NA S65 engine.

I'm new here. I've been for some time in the m3post.com, but I think this question could be more lube-related than M3-related, so here I am.

It's related to the oil cooler.

short story below (feel free to ask for details):

aug-2021: engine lost.
1st gear launch, @8k rpm, con-rod from cyl 5 breaks down due to fuel hydrolock (injector stuck open), and breaks engine block. engine shut-down by me right away. never cranked again.

dec-2021: "new" used engine (40,000km) installed.
did not remove oil cooler, just flushed it forward and backwards about 30L of gasoline (never reusing the gasoline).
first start was to let engine idle until operating temperature, turned off after some minutes.
drained oil and replaced the filter.

feb-2022: 1,500 km on new engine. oil and filter change. rare aluminum shavings at the filter.

may-2022: 2,600 km on new engine. dropped oil pan, checked the rod bearings, oil filter, oil pickups. all fine, no aluminum shavings at the filter or pickups.

feb-2023: 6,000 km on new engine. dropped oil pan again, checked the rod bearings, oil filter and oil pickups. checked cylinder walls too. all fine again.

since then it's been one track day and 11,000 km on the new engine.

but here and there I eventually hear some one talking about oil cooler disposal after engine break down, and that bugs me.

so:
Am I still running risks or any shavings that could be in the cooler would already have been carried on?

thanks guys

car picture below.

Attachments

• 52892563012_5d64077748_k.jpg
    52892563012_5d64077748_k.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 20
No, leave the cooler on. That is absolutely insane. The oil filter will pick up whatever is in the oil cooler.
Also, your engine is not "new." It is a used engine. Just keep an eye on those rod bearings.

No, leave the cooler on. That is absolutely insane. The oil filter will pick up whatever is in the oil cooler.
Also, your engine is not "new." It is a used engine. Just keep an eye on those rod bearings.
Well yes, but actually not necessarily. Some cars put the oil cooler after the filter, and if it was left chock full of metal shavings it would probably cause problems. If it's before the oil filter, it's not an issue, especially after you've ran 6+ gallons of gasoline through it.

Well yes, but actually not necessarily. Some cars put the oil cooler after the filter, and if it was left chock full of metal shavings it would probably cause problems. If it's before the oil filter, it's not an issue, especially after you've ran 6+ gallons of gasoline through it.
IN E92 oil cooler thermostat is attached to oil filter housing. Oil to get to the cooler has to go through the filter, and on the way back has to go again through the filter. There are two ports where the supply line goes to the cooler, and the return line goes back to the thermostat and with that housing. Either way, oil has to go through the filter.

How can the oil go twice through the filter, that makes no sense as oil flows from high pressure to low pressure. There would be no pressure differential over the cooler Or do you mean back to the sump/pick-up side of the pump?

Last edited:
As a parallel example: Repair instruction for automatic transmissions which have blown up include flushing out the cooler/lines.
Never have I seen instructions to replace the cooler/lines.

Thanks everyone for replies. I feel better about it.

IN E92 oil cooler thermostat is attached to oil filter housing. Oil to get to the cooler has to go through the filter, and on the way back has to go again through the filter. There are two ports where the supply line goes to the cooler, and the return line goes back to the thermostat and with that housing. Either way, oil has to go through the filter.

Nice knowledge there. Do you have any diagrams about the E92 oil circuit? Would be much valuable for me to have it.

How can the oil go twice through the filter, that makes no sense as oil flows from high pressure to low pressure. There would be no pressure differential over the cooler Or do you mean back to the sump/pick-up side of the pump?
I had a brain freeze bcs. late: sump-filter-oil cooler, if low temperature, bypass valve.

Nice knowledge there. Do you have any diagrams about the E92 oil circuit? Would be much valuable for me to have it.

Actually, no. There is messy diagram on S65 forum.

If there was anything in cooler, by now it would create issue.

Back