New Amsoil OE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never been a syn oil user(exception of a few select applications for my own testing) i'm not into the long oci. That is imo where syn oil makes it's point,but if i were to ever go that route it would be Amsoil products and the OE is tempting me to consider a different approach.I like it,also the XL line seems to be fairly cost effective plus a good friend and hunting partner is an Amsoil dealer and i can have it shipped in with a lower shipping cost when he places an order by splitting up the charges with him or another customer i am looking long at the pros and cons.

Last edited:
Just saw the OE bottle. Neat thing is that I learned that dexos 1 exceeds LL-A-025 so I can use that for my saab for 15k OCI. Nice!

Originally Posted By: Spector
As quoted
I think Amsoil is just another avenue to sell product for Wix, Donaldson, and Mann.

At a very very high mark up compared to what you can purchase these products for over the counter. Wild Prices for the spark plugs, wiper blades marketed through Amsoil.

Yes I remember looking at spark plugs on their site, do people actually pay those prices? Even with a hefty discount they are off the wall!

Originally Posted By: wolfc70
I wonder if this is the old XL oils?

On a side note, what is up with Amsoil's shipping prices? $14.28 to ship a case of oil? Used to be around $9. With the shipping costs factored in, it is cheaper to buy it at Fleet Farm, than to go through the PC set up and pay for shipping. Example: Amsoil MCF is $11.33 with taxes and shiping. At Fleet Farm it is $11.43 after taxes. Shipping is killing the PC discount.

This is why, after Big Al passes.....Amsoil will market the product like Royal Purple does. There will be lot's of dealer and up lawsuits and eventually mainstream oil on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Originally Posted By: wolfc70
I wonder if this is the old XL oils?

On a side note, what is up with Amsoil's shipping prices? $14.28 to ship a case of oil? Used to be around $9. With the shipping costs factored in, it is cheaper to buy it at Fleet Farm, than to go through the PC set up and pay for shipping. Example: Amsoil MCF is $11.33 with taxes and shiping. At Fleet Farm it is $11.43 after taxes. Shipping is killing the PC discount.

This is why, after Big Al passes.....Amsoil will market the product like Royal Purple does. There will be lot's of dealer and up lawsuits and eventually mainstream oil on the shelf.

I agree!

The shipping costs are real, and hurting them IMO. For the $35-$50/year fee to be a dealer I don't see much job security. (I'm not quite sure the cost, someone will probably chime in). So doing away with the dealers shouldn't be a problem, at least IMO.

Here's what could possibly happen, or maybe nothing will happen, but I doubt it. They keep only the very best dealers, the ones that sell the most product, and start looking for retail outlets to sell the product via their stores. AAP, NAPA, PB, AAZ, etc. Set a quota in order to become a dealer, and have the dealer fee based on quota. Or start the eliminating dealers, hire a dedicated sales force and sell, sell, sell.

Coke did away with privately owned soda routes, and IIRC some of the bread companies did it too, and there was a lot more than a $35/year dealer fee at stake. When a dealers year is up don't offer it again, or raise the fee to a point where unless a person sells a [censored] ton of oil it won't be profitable anymore. Amsoil's legal dept can find a work around if/when the time comes.

Making a cheaper product because shipping costs and commissions are a big concern is not an oil I'd want in my car. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back