New Amsoil OE

Status
Not open for further replies.
$25 5-quart jugs of Pennzoil Ultra and Mobil1 at wallyworld are available around here.

As technology in lubrication progresses, and as better additives, select base stocks, better VII's or VM's....become available, I would hope that ANY oil blender would improve their products. This is one reason why I recommend Amsoil products. They don't sit around with 'good enough'. They seem to always look on how to make it better always, and how to get the most for the money.

Can't wait to see the UOAs/VOAs on this oil.

Entry level price point for a boutique oil is excellent:
http://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-motor-oil-engine-oil

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
Those dealers who are heavily involved in the retail market have been pushing for this. With 90% of the oil change industry and consumers stuck on the 3,000 mile oil changes, AMSOIL was missing out on huge market. Now they are on par with all the oil company synthetics and more quick lube etc will start to handle it.

So they decided to go after 90% of the market they had not tapped yet, makes good business sense for corporate and for this dealers who sell to the oil change industry.

Amsoil is going after a lot of markets they weren't in before it seems, they have a radiator additive now that they didn't have even a few months ago.

PYB, PP, PU
M7500, M1, M1 EP
OE, XL, ASM/ASL/ATM

They all essentially offer the same product lines.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in cases where manufacturer recommends 10k changes and/or the OLM pushes beyond 10k/6mo, there would not be practical difference between XL and OE, right? I'm sure Amsoil must realize this. I also imagine that both oils would do well because the manufacturers and OLMs assume the oil in use is dino.

Originally Posted By: blue94
Correct me if I'm wrong but in cases where manufacturer recommends 10k changes and/or the OLM pushes beyond 10k/6mo, there would not be practical difference between XL and OE, right? I'm sure Amsoil must realize this. I also imagine that both oils would do well because the manufacturers and OLMs assume the oil in use is dino.

Most likely, yes.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: RamFan
I still don't see the difference between XL and OE...

Different base oil mix, different additive package.

I don't get the first part - they're both group III!

How 'different' can they be? Add-pack differences, i can unsderstand, and they can make a BIG difference - but base oils? C'mon!

Aren't ALL group-III basede syns now using so-called 'group-III+' base oils like Mobil Visom, and SOPUS's wax isomerate(sp).....or are some still using 'lesser' group-III's, like a basic group-III hydrocrack, or the Korean group-III's.....

Can someone tell me just HOW much difference their is between different group III's??

While the Amsoil folks will have to chime in, the cost difference between the XL and OE lines had to come from somewhere. My understanding is that the XL is a very high quality group III. To account for the cost difference, the OE is probably the cheapest group III they could find. It's still group III so it's going to be good but it has to cost less. The add pack too must be cheaper. I'm sure it's still good but it too must cost less. There's no other way. Again, this is competing against dino oils for OEM drain intervals so the cheapest, lowest quality, group III is still a step up.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Can someone tell me just HOW much difference their is between different group III's??

Very legitimate question. Unfortunately I can't give you a precise technical answer. I know there are a variety of suppliers - and specifications from these suppliers as you state. I also know an oil is just not a single viscosity base oil. Blue94 says something that fits as well - price point is important. When the OE specs are published, let's see if the cold temp and other properties vary and by how much compared to the new XL.

I do appreciate the information, Pablo.

Not too spend too much time 'tech gazing', but one thing I noticed is that the new Amsoil XL oils are much 'tougher' than they used to be - PP's and CCs values are much higher than the old XL, and they are thicker. That is probably to deal with the situation of long drains in high-stress applications.

I've noticed in general that 'lesser' group III syns seem to be thinner, and have better PP and CCS numbers, I'm assuming b/c they don't focus of the HT/HS requirements. Petro-Canada syn PCMO's, or ST syn, for example, are very thin, and have very low CCS values. In service, they also tend to shear a fair bit. So they are not as 'strong' as other syns, but they get the job done.

I suspect that is what we will see with the new Amsoil OE - a PC like syn, with very good CCS values, but somewhat higher volatilty, and a tendency to shear a bit more in service.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: RamFan
I still don't see the difference between XL and OE...

Different base oil mix, different additive package.

I don't get the first part - they're both group III!

How 'different' can they be? Add-pack differences, i can unsderstand, and they can make a BIG difference - but base oils? C'mon!

Aren't ALL group-III basede syns now using so-called 'group-III+' base oils like Mobil Visom, and SOPUS's wax isomerate(sp).....or are some still using 'lesser' group-III's, like a basic group-III hydrocrack, or the Korean group-III's.....

That's a good question for Tom NJ...

Looks like a novel product. Now if Amsoil has gone out of their way to fully license the product, how about they drop the MLM Avon nonsense and claim some shelf space at WalMart. They can finally start claiming mainstream market share, while not losing half of their revenues to UPS and DHL.

I don't think they can do that and Al said he would never abandon the dealer network. Plus, I don't think Amsoil could compete on the shelf with the larger producers. Maybe but I doubt it.

While the Amsoil folks will have to chime in, the cost difference between the XL and OE lines had to come from somewhere. My understanding is that the XL is a very high quality group III. To account for the cost difference, the OE is probably the cheapest group III they could find. It's still group III so it's going to be good but it has to cost less. The add pack too must be cheaper. I'm sure it's still good but it too must cost less. There's no other way. Again, this is competing against dino oils for OEM drain intervals so the cheapest, lowest quality, group III is still a step up.

Actually, Amsoil OE is targeted at the Mobil 1 quick lube market as Exxon/Mobil has a very large share of it. In fact, Amsoil’s power point presentation has an image of an OE quart container with a compacted quart container of Mobil 1 in the background.

Can you say David meets Goliath…

Good points, which is why I'd be more comfortable using PP, PU, Edge, or even Mobil 1 for that matter. [I'm not of fan of Mobil 1, but would still be more comfortable with it at the moment.]

Amsoil is blending to a price point, to compete with the off the shelf oils. Until the specs and UOA reports come out all I can safely say is the product might be the same price or cheaper, it might not be better. If I watch sales, I can buy all the oils I mentioned above and a good filter for the same price or less, no PC fee, no shipping. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back