New 2023 Chevy Colorado

I always thought GM makes some nice looking cars and trucks and this is no exception. I like it. It would be on my short list if I was in the market for a truck. Though, I wish they offered it in a regular or extended cab.

I’ll support what several have already said.

I had a ‘16 Colorado with the 2.8L Duramax Diesel engine. It was rated to tow up to 7,500 lbs and would get over 30 mpg in real world highway driving (as high as 32). They never advertised that this engine was a Colorado option. It was comical to see the shocked 😳 look on the face of some, as I pumped diesel fuel into her at truck stops. A few tried to physically stop me 😂.

GM missed an opportunity to put the 3.0L Silverado Duramax in this truck and pair it with their 10 speed transmission. It could have been a 35 mpg highway truck. Who knows? I guess that is why GM isn’t paying me for my ideas 🤷‍♀️.

Did they get the steering wheel centered to the drivers seat? That’s been my #1 detractor for GM trucks…. For at least 2 decades. I think they fixed it 3-4 years ago in the half-tons?

I had a 2004 single cab 4x4 with a 5M and the 3.5L I5 engine. Only reason I still don’t have it is my dad passed away and I inherited his 98 K1500 with only 24k miles.

IMO that I5 was everything they claimed: the power of a six cylinder with the fuel economy of a four. I wish that engine was still available.

GM used as a selling point on my 2018 Silverado that you could use almost all of the controls with work gloves on. The example you should would be very difficult to use with gloves.

The truck I showed has the Rubbermaid® big knob dash. Easy to use and abuse. Certainly Not the new Colorado that Buster linked.

Me wants to take me gloved had and punch that silly girl millennial garbage display propped up on the dash.
First time it glitched I would be tempted.

I was planning on picking up a Ridgeline but might have to take a second look at the Colorado now.

Not 100% sold on modern GM reliability but we shall see.

GM used as a selling point on my 2018 Silverado that you could use almost all of the controls with work gloves on. The example you should would be very difficult to use with gloves.
Ford said the exact same thing to get people on board with the 1997 F-150 dash. Then they made the 4WD switch just like the HVAC switches and put them next to each other.

What's to stop people from buying the least powerful 2.7 and hopping it up via laptop? Are there actual physical differences in the engines or not?

What's to stop people from buying the least powerful 2.7 and hopping it up via laptop? Are there actual physical differences in the engines or not?

So the answer to your question is a warranty. The minute you go in for repair under the powertrain warranty-and they check for over writing on the ECU-it gives them the ability to VOID your warranty because they did not up date it-somebody else did-other than the Dealer/Factory.

Doesn't matter if the motor internals are the same. You messed with it-you are not authorized.

Do you feel lucky?

ON edit-they are trying to control flipping via warranty denial

Last edited:

General Motors is there to stop people from doing this.

Modern General Motors ECMs are locked down tighter than Fort Knox.

E90 ECM on the L84 5.3L and L87 6.2L and E41 ECM on the L5P Duramax require removing the ECM and sending it off for hardware changes, starting at $700, before you can start tuning on it. These are on Global A vehicles. With no reasonable solution for getting inside the ECM to tune, in-line pedal tuners like the Banks Pedal Monster (for the Duramax) and Pulsar (for the gas engines) have become popular again.

ECMs on GM's VIP electrical architecture have been an even more difficult beast. As it stands now, nobody has a commercial solution for getting into the E99 ECM used on the C8. The aftermarket has taken to adding piggyback ECUs to support performance modifications.

Not sure what electrical architecture the Colorado will use. Full size trucks changed from Global A to VIP with the 2022 refresh. If the new Colorado uses Global A, tuning may be possible, but prohibitively expensive and a massive PITA. If it is VIP, it'll be straight up impossible for the foreseeable future and possibly forever.

Of course, then you have to get past GM knowing someone had their greasy fingers in the calibration files and sticking a warranty block on your VIN.

It’s funny how impossible and complex ECUs become simplistic cave man controls in 5 years or so.

Once these are out of warranty they will be broken like everything else

This new truck is out of step with the times. How come no hybrid version? Why is it so expensive? Why does it guzzle gas? I suppose it will appeal to those in red states who deny climate change.
It’s a “midsize”, 4 cylinder. Its like a fat person ordering diet coke with their supersized fast food meal to cut back a little!

Honestly this colorado is going to be so big that I and possibly other consumers will just be better off going full size. It sure does look cool though.

Perhaps the 3/4 ton gas 6.6 GM will still be the way to go. I plan to wait until the dealers have to really work for sales again no matter what i end up with in the future.

Back