Discontinued: Chevy Malibu

Sedans just aren't loved anymore. I got in before the lock.

20240315_152855.jpg

My Bolt ⚡ has extremely good A/C tho 🥶

Meh, it's alright. I don't think it's the most powerful AC system I've ever had in a vehicle... but being able to sit in my car for my lunch hour with the AC blasting without idling an engine or wasting gas is just a fantastic feature. When I had my Ford Escape I always felt bad for it, idling an hour at a time (and it ruined my average MPG).

They could build a Chevelle SS

Put a massive engine in it and make it faster than the hellcat and i would buy one once they hit the used market
Yep, generally a darn fast car can do the quarter mile in the low 13’s. To do that, a 3600 lb car needs about 300 net hp. This is really easy with the available V-8’s and even turbo 4’s. Even my 16 year old Chevy 6.0 makes 350 HP.

Yep, generally a darn fast car can do the quarter mile in the low 13’s. To do that, a 3600 lb car needs about 300 net hp. This is really easy with the available V-8’s and even turbo 4’s. Even my 16 year old Chevy 6.0 makes 350 HP.
Low 13s is cool but low 12s-mid 11s is actually fast
A Chrysler v6 could run a 13

Are you sure Malibu is "successful"?

I think they definitely are neglected, despite the car being good enough for me the competition have better offerings. Customers are not stupid and if they are just good enough and the competition has better products for not much more, they will buy the competition. Often the MBAs and accountants don't think about what make sense and cut cost instead of improving products.

I think it's a bit dangerous for an auto manufacturer to forget how to profitably design, build, and sell, a competent vehicle to a price point below the median family income... But maximizing short term profits is pretty tempting I guess.

It is much easier to make profit off high priced products aiming at wealthy customers than squeezing pennies out of low profit customers with volume and low margin.

The problem is MBAs and accountants think cutting cost will not impact quality, or not too much, but it does.

It is much easier to make profit off high priced products aiming at wealthy customers than squeezing pennies out of low profit customers with volume and low margin.

The problem is MBAs and accountants think cutting cost will not impact quality, or not too much, but it does.
The trick is probably keeping design and manufacturing teams who have the knack of designing something decent with a limited budget.
How bad will Ford and GM get? Eventually only able to make money on the $80k+ trucks, not the 60k ones? These are only sold in the N.A. market, that only exists because of the chicken tax, and EPA regs that somehow encourage larger vehicles, which must've expensive to lobby for?
Probably the conditions and market for these trucks isn't going away too soon, but it might?

This was my favorite generation Malibu. It looked great, the interior was nice and it still had a V6. Probably one of the few times an American midsize beat Camry/Accord...those were sad years for Camry/Accord.
This generation has horrendous corrosion issues...not an issue in the desert where you are but it can't hold a candle to the Camry and Accord on that regard.

Back