New 2023 Chevy Colorado

You will be waiting the better part of two years-JMHO.
Two years is fine, i don’t need a new truck, just a want. Two years of people beating the heck out of the new ZR2s will uncover a lot of issues that can get updated on my 2025ish model.

One thing we are concerned about. Our current ZR2 is already tall...I just had a valet break off the antenna pulling it into a parking garage, and it barely fits in our own garage at home. The new one is listed as ~10" taller!!! I am hoping that GM just decided to include the height of the radio antenna in the calculation, as that is going to be crazy!

Truck bed is too short. Then again the typical buyer now wants a lifestyle truck to drive to the grocery store instead of use for work. The line between SUV and pickup gets smaller…

I know so many in the construction trades who now drive sedans, minivans or vans full of tools and equipment. My white collar buddies drive loaded pickups hauling air all day. Working man struggles to afford a vehicle originally designed for a working man. Now there are loaded luxury pickups on highways headed to the high rise office. Pickups used to be inexpensive vehicles for work. My Dad bought an S10 brand new in 1997 for $11,000 for construction work. Parking at the local grocery store watching the mammoth 3/4 trucks with huge tires struggle to back out of spots is entertaining. The world keeps getting stranger lol.

Last edited:
Truck bed is too short. Then again the typical buyer now wants a lifestyle truck to drive to the grocery store instead of use for work. The line between SUV and pickup gets smaller…

I know so many in the construction trades who now drive sedans, minivans or vans full of tools and equipment. My white collar buddies drive loaded pickups hauling air all day. Working man struggles to afford a vehicle originally designed for a working man. Now there are loaded luxury pickups on highways headed to the high rise office. Pickups used to be inexpensive vehicles for work. My Dad bought an S10 brand new in 1997 for $11,000 for construction work. Parking at the local grocery store watching the mammoth 3/4 trucks with huge tires struggle to back out of spots is entertaining. The world keeps getting stranger lol.

So sick of hearing this argument...this may apply to some, but it doesn't apply to all.

All I need is a short bed, that is all I use. I carry my bicycles for my family, our kayaks, wood from the lumber store (just use some straps), stuff for the yard and garden), dogs in the back, camping tent integrated into the back, tons of cargo room for family vacation with the bed cover, towing capability for our boat, oh...and MUCH better offroad which we use it for and better fuel mileage vs full size truck.

I don't want a full size, as it doesn't fit my needs. I had a full size Silverado, and would take the ZR2 over it every day. It rides better, more capable off road, and gets better fuel economy.

This is my bride's daily driver, and SHE doesn't want a full size either. She loves her truck, and hated driving my Silverado.

Last edited:

I'm with @DriveHard, a short bed truck doing daily driving for the most part is not ridiculous just because you don't see the use case for it.

I'm a pretty tall guy (6'5") and full size trucks are the only ones that fit me without my legs crammed up against the door or dash/console. My truck is the best highway cruiser I've ever owned. It soaks up the road, sits high up giving me good visibility, has all the creature comforts I want, has moderately good range (I get > 23 mpg without effort if speeds are kept at 65mph) etc.

I use my bed to haul my toys (kayak, bike, firewood, camping equipment) and my truck tows my utility and RV trailers as well.

Most of the time yes I'm "hauling air". Doesn't mean it's a bad buy, it's literally the perfect vehicle for my needs. Find me another car/truck that can do all that better for the $45k USD I paid for it.

Your dad would be better served today by something like a maverick. They are very cool little trucks, not sure how the bed size compares to an old s10.

As for the 3/4 diesels, who cares? I'm sure I can find something in your life that it is not "needed". House too big, TV too big, you spend too much on air travel when you could camp 2 hours away, too many meals out in a restaurant etc etc. I have no idea of course, maybe you really are a minimialist. Just saying watch how you judge other peoples choices because there is a very good chance they can find something "rediculous" or "strange" in your life.

The 2.7 actually has more torque and better horsepower numbers than the V6 that was in it previously.

More torque than the old diesel too. But way, way less MPG.

They should have spent some money on that little diesel to bring it up to speed. If they can get 430 lb/ft of torque out of a 2.7 4 cylinder gas, they should be able to get that out of a 2.8 4 cylinder diesel too, and then also hit highway 30 mpg.

Talk about a missed opportunity.

More torque than the old diesel too. But way, way less MPG.

They should have spent some money on that little diesel to bring it up to speed. If they can get 430 lb/ft of torque out of a 2.7 4 cylinder gas, they should be able to get that out of a 2.8 4 cylinder diesel too, and then also hit highway 30 mpg.

Talk about a missed opportunity.

The diesel was a piece of junk. Not the engine itself but the emissions system and the other diesel stuff around it.

My friend and I took a Canyon diesel up through Canada in an attempt to visit Alaska.

First the DEF froze, that was issue one. A GM dealer on the route took it in overnight, thawed it out, let it run a regen, and it seemed OK.

Two days later it started having the same issue. We taped cardboard over the front end to keep the temps up and it seemed happier.

We had already given up on Alaska at this point as some very remote roads there and a problematic truck could be deadly. So we meandered back through Canada and ended up in Montana.

We spent an hour or two having dinner somewhere. Guess the diesel froze in the filter at that time because about 10 minutes after leaving there it died on me on the highway and would not restart.

Sat in the back of a police car to stay warm while we waited for the tow truck. Had it towed to a dealer. They couldn’t look at it for a week so we changed the fuel filters in their parking lot and poured a bunch of anti gel stuff in there. It cranked for two minutes and finally started. Fuel pump was making a horrible noise but we made it home and by the time we got back to California it was sounding normal again.

I’m not entirely sure what happened as it was my buddy’s truck but from my understanding GM bought it back under warranty and he bought a Bolt.

They bought that back a few years later after paying his rental car and fuel bill for months after waiting for a replacement battery under recall.

Now he has a Bolt EUV which is great. But he also bought a used gas 5.4 Expedition for future road trips. He literally just drove it from CA to FL and back. No issues. Although the torque converter shudders a bit. But otherwise it’s a solid truck. He’s also taken that thing to cold places up north and hey, no problems because it’s gas, not diesel.

I for one am glad to see the baby Duramax go away. Sure the fuel economy was great but if you freeze to death on the side of the road that’s not very helpful.

The diesel was a piece of junk. Not the engine itself but the emissions system and the other diesel stuff around it.

My friend and I took a Canyon diesel up through Canada in an attempt to visit Alaska.

First the DEF froze, that was issue one. A GM dealer on the route took it in overnight, thawed it out, let it run a regen, and it seemed OK.

Two days later it started having the same issue. We taped cardboard over the front end to keep the temps up and it seemed happier.

We had already given up on Alaska at this point as some very remote roads there and a problematic truck could be deadly. So we meandered back through Canada and ended up in Montana.

We spent an hour or two having dinner somewhere. Guess the diesel froze in the filter at that time because about 10 minutes after leaving there it died on me on the highway and would not restart.

Sat in the back of a police car to stay warm while we waited for the tow truck. Had it towed to a dealer. They couldn’t look at it for a week so we changed the fuel filters in their parking lot and poured a bunch of anti gel stuff in there. It cranked for two minutes and finally started. Fuel pump was making a horrible noise but we made it home and by the time we got back to California it was sounding normal again.

I’m not entirely sure what happened as it was my buddy’s truck but from my understanding GM bought it back under warranty and he bought a Bolt.

They bought that back a few years later after paying his rental car and fuel bill for months after waiting for a replacement battery under recall.

Now he has a Bolt EUV which is great. But he also bought a used gas 5.4 Expedition for future road trips. He literally just drove it from CA to FL and back. No issues. Although the torque converter shudders a bit. But otherwise it’s a solid truck. He’s also taken that thing to cold places up north and hey, no problems because it’s gas, not diesel.

I for one am glad to see the baby Duramax go away. Sure the fuel economy was great but if you freeze to death on the side of the road that’s not very helpful.

Diesel can definitely gel when it gets cold, you need to treat your tank if you hit those really cold temps.

Back