New 2019 Ram 1500 oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by tiger862
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
And this is on next page. Your page is 338 mine is 339.

Clearly the pages I posted are 428 and 429, as they are on them. Are you looking at the 2019 RAM 1500 Classic owner's manual?

But the language is the same regardless, there is nothing there REQUIRING the MS spec, it's simply recommended. They want you to use an API-certified oil in the correct grade.

Mine is downloaded so that might be the difference. Anyhow it says should not be used. You can interpret any way you want. They never say required because that opens them up to furnishing the oil. That is why I never claimed to be lawyer and always hire one before I sign documents. All things written are subject to ones opinion and courts have final say. That was purpose of my original post of his vehicle and his decision to follow manual. He could interpret it totally different than both of us.

The 2019 RAM manual (classic and non) is a PDF download, which is where those screen clips are coming from. And Skippy's comment is right on the money, the requirements are the correct grade and the API certification, the recommendation is the MS spec, it's quite clear.

To make it easier for everyone. Here is Mobil warranty and they stated not covered if not meets OEM
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-1-oil-warranty
Not only are we taking a chance on manufacturers coverage but also oil we use coverage. Not a chance I would want to take.

Mobil states:
Originally Posted by XOM
Situations where the OEM required lubricant standards do not match those stated by ExxonMobil without written approval from ExxonMobil.

The OEM required lubricant standards for this application are API certification and the correct grade, as we've already discussed.

Check their online recommend fluids and it will state Super Synthetic only. So that means Mobil will only warranty Mobil Super Synthetic for Ram Truck. Keep arguing. Would you be willing to replace an engine if denied?

I have a 2019 1500 with the Hemi. Dumped factory fill at 3500 miles. Put OEM filter and got Havoline ProDS 5w-30 in the 6qt box for $19 (ordered thru Walmart), bought an additional quart at local auto parts store.
At 7200 miles the Oil Life Monitor still showing 60% left. I'll dump it at 10k miles and then change every 5k miles after...Why 5w-30? cause I tow couple times a month and it's hot in Texas...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Havoline-SMART-CHANGE-ProDS-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-6-qt/537902742

Last edited:
Check their online recommend fluids and it will state Super Synthetic only. So that means Mobil will only warranty Mobil Super Synthetic for Ram Truck. Keep arguing. Would you be willing to replace an engine if denied?

Mobil doesn't recommend M1 for any of the FCA applications because they intentionally avoid pursuing those approvals. That in no way means the oils are inappropriate, particularly given the language in the manual we've already discussed. I'm running M1 EP 0w-20 in my 2019 RAM Sport right now, I have complete confidence in my interpretation of what's in the manual.

Overkill, does your Ram sport have the hemi? I see you went with 0w instead of the 5w. I also run 0w but it's a 30 weight. So your not concerned about the 0w versus 5w as long is still a 20 weight when I comes to warranty? Not questioning your choice just trying to understand what they'll look at concerning oil choice. I'm guessing they won't like the 0w-30 in my Jeep hemi.

Originally Posted by Lufty
Overkill, does your Ram sport have the hemi? I see you went with 0w instead of the 5w. I also run 0w but it's a 30 weight. So your not concerned about the 0w versus 5w as long is still a 20 weight when I comes to warranty? Not questioning your choice just trying to understand what they'll look at concerning oil choice. I'm guessing they won't like the 0w-30 in my Jeep hemi.

Yes, this is the fourth HEMI we've owned, all have had MDS. I prefer a 0w-20 for the superior winter performance and more PAO in the base oil blend. And correct, the Pentastar calls for 0w-20 now, so I figure the HEMI won't be far behind, and when approved, both carry the same approval. Mobil has historically stated that 0w-20 is appropriate for any application that calls for 5w-20.

I have a 2016 RAM 1500 Limited 4x4 with the Hemi. Has 56k miles and just now developed the hemi tick at startup this month. Lasts about 10-20 seconds. I haven't looked close at it yet so the tick could be exhaust manifold or lifter tick. I've ran nothing but Mobil 1 AFE 0W/30 and mopar filters up to the most recent oil change when I used a Hastings oil filter so....maybe it's the oil filter?? In any event, I already have some Quaker State Ultimate Durability waiting to go in with another Mopar filter. I just couldn't resist the $17 jug special at walmart so I am trying it. I plan on cutting this OCI short at 5000 miles to see if the tick goes away or if its exhaust related. My normal OCI is by the OLM and that averages 8-9k miles (80% highway miles).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GMBoy
I have a 2016 RAM 1500 Limited 4x4 with the Hemi. Has 56k miles and just now developed the hemi tick at startup this month. Lasts about 10-20 seconds. I haven't looked close at it yet so the tick could be exhaust manifold or lifter tick. I've ran nothing but Mobil 1 AFE 0W/30 and mopar filters up to the most recent oil change when I used a Hastings oil filter so....maybe it's the oil filter?? In any event, I already have some Quaker State Ultimate Durability waiting to go in with another Mopar filter. I just couldn't resist the $17 jug special at walmart so I am trying it. I plan on cutting this OCI short at 5000 miles to see if the tick goes away or if its exhaust related. My normal OCI is by the OLM and that averages 8-9k miles (80% highway miles).

Had you done 5K instead of 8-9K, no tick would probably exist today. QSU is a ladder-rung below Edge, Mobil-1, Valvoline Advanced and Penn Platinum. Even SOPUS reps have acknowledged that, when compared to Platinum.

Folks with TGDI/GDI and timing chain concern / past histories, need to cut down their OCIs. After a few decades of lengthening OCIs in today's engines, we have now started a backward trend.
Have to adjust folks, or face the proverbial, musical tick-tick-tick and slowly increasing buildup around the valves & pistons.

Last edited:
Don't forget running an unapproved oil with the longer OCI. If running nothing but Mobil why don't people get them to cover parts as Mobil has a 250k warranty?

Don't forget running an unapproved oil with the longer OCI. If running nothing but Mobil why don't people get them to cover parts as Mobil has a 250k warranty?

Under warranty, Mobil advises to follow the OLM or factory change interval. Once you are outside your factory warranty, you can then pursue their extended drain program. This is for the reason of not creating potential issues between your OEM and Mobil.

I run EP at the factory (OLM) interval in our 2019. I also run the OLM in my SRT. Both are under warranty still. I doubt I'll extend the drains though, I primarily use EP because it's majority PAO and was, until AP came on the market, Mobil's flagship product.

I just emailed Mobil. They stated that they don't offer a 250k warranty but have a limited warranty but in the case of my Grand Caravan they would not be able to provide any warranty with Mobil1 but would offer there limited warranty on there Mobil Super Synthetic. They also stated that hopefully in the future they would clarify the misconception of a 250k warranty.

I just emailed Mobil. They stated that they don't offer a 250k warranty but have a limited warranty but in the case of my Grand Caravan they would not be able to provide any warranty with Mobil1 but would offer there limited warranty on there Mobil Super Synthetic. They also stated that hopefully in the future they would clarify the misconception of a 250k warranty.

Sounds about right
lol.gif

The verbiage for EP and AP isn't anything to get excited about:

Originally Posted by Mobil 1 AP
ExxonMobil Fuels & Lubricants Company, a division of Exxon Mobil Corporation ("ExxonMobil"), provides this limited warranty to the purchasers who use Mobil 1 Annual Protection lubricant in their vehicles. This limited warranty covers the lubricant and critical engine parts lubricated by the lubricant. ExxonMobil warrants its lubricants to be free from defects and that the lubricant you purchased will protect your vehicle's critical engine parts from oil related failure.

Be advised that if your vehicle is covered by a warranty, you should follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual to avoid a disruption in your vehicle warranty. Follow your owner's manual if the vehicle is operated in any of the following severe services: racing or commercial applications including taxis, limousines, etc.; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or under excessive idling conditions.

And under what it does not cover:
Originally Posted by Mobil

- Failure of equipment due to a pre-existing condition that is unrelated to the use of Mobil-branded lubricants
- Repair or replacement of equipment due to normal wear

So of course a HEMI lunching a lifter would not be covered, as I assume that would be labelled as a pre-existing condition, the same would be the case for GM's AFM lifter munchers, as I believe the lifters are almost identical between the two engines.

Note that the guarantee is that the lubricant will be free from defects and that it will protect your engine from OIL RELATED failure
wink.gif
So if you snap a cam, break a dogbone or other lifter alignment device like a guide, drop a valve, lose a timing chain guide....etc you are out of luck.

Mobil, Shell, AMSOIL, Castrol...etc are not in the business to set themselves up to buy people engines. Their intention is to produce the best products they can cost-effectively, and will subsequently warranty/guarantee the quality of those products independent of the applications they are used in. It's a smart move, as it makes them appear confident in the performance of their products while at the same time, they really aren't opening themselves up to any real liability.

My email.

If you like Mobil synthetic oil and are concerned about your warranty use Super. Or use a Pennzoil product, PYB, PP, and PU meet the spec. There are plenty of other options when it comes to oil that meet the MS6395 spec.

My email.

thumbsup2.gif

I think you'll find that Mobil won't recommend an oil that doesn't carry a manufacturer approval for an application where one is available, even if the approval is optional or "recommended". Not sure if it is a CYA situation or just what they feel is due diligence. Their online oil selector works the same way.

Sometimes it's funny because for example, my E39 M5 called for an oil meeting LL-01, but in the US, the requirement was Castrol TWS 10w-60. Cars sold outside of the US had their manuals updated and if they were post 03/00, they got an insert indicating to use LL-01. Well, the Mobil oil selector wouldn't recommend me M1 0w-40, despite it being LL-01, because of the lack of update to the US manual.

Another one is of course that the SRT cars all were originally filled and serviced with M1 0w-40. When FCA was formed, that contract with Mobil was terminated and SOPUS became the fill. One of the changes was to modify the MS number for the SRT service fill so that it no longer matched the number M1 0w-40 carried. Mobil completely stopped carrying that approval all together, even though the product was the same, and hasn't pursued an MS approval on any of their Mobil products since. So essentially overnight you had the service fill for the SRT cars change and of course dealers had a ton of stock of M1 0w-40, with my dealer having skids of it. I bought a fair bit of it to use in my M5 when they were trying to clear it out and also ran it in my SRT Charger. Anyways, the amusing part is that the oil didn't change, just the relationship with Chrysler did due to the FIAT acquisition, which resulted in the conjuring up of the lower additized and more volatile SRT 0w-40 by SOPUS to replace the Mobil product.

Anyways, my dealer, as I'm sure many others did, continued to use their stock of Mobil products until they were used up, despite them no longer being "approved" or "recommended".

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
My email.

thumbsup2.gif

I think you'll find that Mobil won't recommend an oil that doesn't carry a manufacturer approval for an application where one is available, even if the approval is optional or "recommended". Not sure if it is a CYA situation or just what they feel is due diligence. Their online oil selector works the same way.

Sometimes it's funny because for example, my E39 M5 called for an oil meeting LL-01, but in the US, the requirement was Castrol TWS 10w-60. Cars sold outside of the US had their manuals updated and if they were post 03/00, they got an insert indicating to use LL-01. Well, the Mobil oil selector wouldn't recommend me M1 0w-40, despite it being LL-01, because of the lack of update to the US manual.

Another one is of course that the SRT cars all were originally filled and serviced with M1 0w-40. When FCA was formed, that contract with Mobil was terminated and SOPUS became the fill. One of the changes was to modify the MS number for the SRT service fill so that it no longer matched the number M1 0w-40 carried. Mobil completely stopped carrying that approval all together, even though the product was the same, and hasn't pursued an MS approval on any of their Mobil products since. So essentially overnight you had the service fill for the SRT cars change and of course dealers had a ton of stock of M1 0w-40, with my dealer having skids of it. I bought a fair bit of it to use in my M5 when they were trying to clear it out and also ran it in my SRT Charger. Anyways, the amusing part is that the oil didn't change, just the relationship with Chrysler did due to the FIAT acquisition, which resulted in the conjuring up of the lower additized and more volatile SRT 0w-40 by SOPUS to replace the Mobil product.

Anyways, my dealer, as I'm sure many others did, continued to use their stock of Mobil products until they were used up, despite them no longer being "approved" or "recommended".

So basically dont be a jag off and run the oil longer than what your manual states. Obviously some folks here dont realize that. OVERKILL: thanks as always for telling us the facts and correct info. Much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back