New 2019 Ram 1500 oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by DavidJones
Interesting.
The manual tells you what Ram wants you to run and how long.
You don't believe it.
Instead, you ask a bunch of strangers what they'd do.
wink.gif

#BITOGlyfe

Interesting.
You don't believe it.
wink.gif

No I figured I'd ask a group of people that's actually owed the trucks and had UOA's done before. Just seeing what everyone does that's all.

Don't let the brats bother you Honda2003. Wait - forget I just said that! I'm probably the #1 brat here.
Glad you are with us and spending more time here lately.

Do NOT over extend the OCI on a Hemi - the cam and MDS lifter issues will roar their ugly head at you.

Stick with a 5W20 and avoid M1 products - they do NOT meet the MS spec.

Originally Posted by Honda2003
Interesting.
You don't believe it.
wink.gif

No I figured I'd ask a group of people that's actually owed the trucks and had UOA's done before. Just seeing what everyone does that's all.

ram blackstone thread

Originally Posted by WillB
Do NOT over extend the OCI on a Hemi - the cam and MDS lifter issues will roar their ugly head at you.

You do realize that m1 was punishing fca for what they did handing a monopoly to pennzoil for 2 years? m1 certainly meets the spec, they just refuse to take part in it. m1's way saying we are bigger then both of you. m1 is the second most used oil by hemi owners behind pennzoil despite not certing the spec.

Mobil claims their Super line of oils "meets or exceeds" the MS spec. But as OVERKILL stated, you're not required to use oils meeting MS-6395, it's only "recommended." Compared side by side to the GF-5 specs, MS-6395 is just a copy and paste job.

You got to love the lawyers on here. It's your vehicle and if you want to chance it then that would be up to you. You walk into a dealership and tell them you used an oil they don't recommend cause it is only recommended then service writer voids your warranty cause he is not an attorney so now you have a fight on your hands. You lawyer up then they lawyer up then everything falls in the hands of a judge or worse 12 jurors. Mean time you are paying notes on a vehicle tied up in court and no loaner. Do I think you would have a warranty issue with Cam and lifters it is hard to say what the future holds but probably not. I would look at a specific oil recommend by Dodge in recommended grade. If you like Mobil then go with Mobil Super Synthetic 5w20 and change every 5k which puts you just over severe duty. You could even run anything from Conventional all the way to Synthetic oil if you choose.

Since the MS spec isn't a requirement, there's no reason to avoid the Mobil products. They were factory and service fill before FIAT took over, and M1 0w-40 was the SRT lube.

Originally Posted by tiger862
You got to love the lawyers on here. It's your vehicle and if you want to chance it then that would be up to you. You walk into a dealership and tell them you used an oil they don't recommend cause it is only recommended then service writer voids your warranty cause he is not an attorney so now you have a fight on your hands. You lawyer up then they lawyer up then everything falls in the hands of a judge or worse 12 jurors. Mean time you are paying notes on a vehicle tied up in court and no loaner. Do I think you would have a warranty issue with Cam and lifters it is hard to say what the future holds but probably not. I would look at a specific oil recommend by Dodge in recommended grade. If you like Mobil then go with Mobil Super Synthetic 5w20 and change every 5k which puts you just over severe duty. You could even run anything from Conventional all the way to Synthetic oil if you choose.

The verbiage in the manual is quite clear, one doesn't need to be a lawyer to distill any of that out and the dealership could "recommend" anything, they aren't Chrysler. They could be telling you to be using Joe's home bulk bonanza that they buy for $50 per hundred gallons, as long as it carries the basic API spec, they are good in Chrysler's eyes. Chrysler Corporate recommends Pennzoil products, because they presently have a relationship with Pennzoil. My local Ford dealer uses Mobil, because that DEALER has developed a relationship with XOM, despite Mobil not being the "official oil of Ford" and the Chrysler dealers can do the same bloody thing. What's in their bulk tanks may not be, and probably isn't, PYB in 5w-20.

NOTE: Mopar SAE 5W-30 engine oil approved to FCA
Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or
equivalent may be used when SAE 5W-20 engine oil
meeting MS-6395 is not available.
Lubricants which do not have both the engine oil certifi-
cation mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number
should not be used.
Synthetic Engine Oils
You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recom-
mended oil quality requirements are met, and the recom-
mended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are
followed.
Synthetic engine oils which do not have both the engine oil
certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade
number should not be used

This is straight from manual. I take this as you should not use or else warranty is voided.

should not be used.
Synthetic Engine Oils
followed.

This is straight from manual. I take this as you should not use or else warranty is voided.

My previous post in the thread contains the actual page from the owner's manual:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ew-2019-ram-1500-oil-changes#Post5156151

And the page:
[Linked Image]

Quoting myself:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
It (the manual) states that you MUST use an API-Certified lubricant in the correct grade, they RECOMMEND you use an oil that carries the MS-6395 Material Standard

They key language is:
Lubricants which do not have both the engine oil certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number should not be used.

Meaning you should not use an oil that isn't API certified and of the wrong grade. All the verbiage with respect to the MS spec uses the word "recommended". The only part that clearly mentions a warranty issue is that with respect to engine flushes.

should not be used.
Synthetic Engine Oils
followed.

My previous post in the thread contains the actual page from the owner's manual:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ew-2019-ram-1500-oil-changes#Post5156151

And the page:
[Linked Image]

Quoting myself:
It (the manual) states that you MUST use an API-Certified lubricant in the correct grade, they RECOMMEND you use an oil that carries the MS-6395 Material Standard

And this is on next page. Your page is 338 mine is 339.

Last edited:

Clearly the pages I posted are 428 and 429, as they are on them. Are you looking at the 2019 RAM 1500 Classic owner's manual?

But the language is the same regardless, there is nothing there REQUIRING the MS spec, it's simply recommended. They want you to use an API-certified oil in the correct grade.

Clearly the pages I posted are 428 and 429, as they are on them. Are you looking at the 2019 RAM 1500 Classic owner's manual?

But the language is the same regardless, there is nothing there REQUIRING the MS spec, it's simply recommended. They want you to use an API-certified oil in the correct grade.

Mine is downloaded so that might be the difference. Anyhow it says should not be used. You can interpret any way you want. They never say required because that opens them up to furnishing the oil. That is why I never claimed to be lawyer and always hire one before I sign documents. All things written are subject to ones opinion and courts have final say. That was purpose of my original post of his vehicle and his decision to follow manual. He could interpret it totally different than both of us.

Mine is downloaded so that might be the difference. Anyhow it says should not be used. You can interpret any way you want. They never say required because that opens them up to furnishing the oil. That is why I never claimed to be lawyer and always hire one before I sign documents. All things written are subject to ones opinion and courts have final say. That was purpose of my original post of his vehicle and his decision to follow manual. He could interpret it totally different than both of us.

It says "Lubricants which do not have both the engine oil certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number should not be used" while saying absolutely nothing about the MS-6395 spec.

If they wanted the MS spec in there it would read "Lubricants which do not have the engine oil certification mark, the correct SAE viscosity grade number, AND MEETS CHRYSLER MS-6395 should not be used."

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722

It says "Lubricants which do not have both the engine oil certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number should not be used" while saying absolutely nothing about the MS-6395 spec.

Read the whole thing. It is there in post I put up.

Last edited:

Read the whole thing. It is there in post I put up.

I did, I can't find where it says not to use oils that do not meet MS-6395.

EDIT:
GM makes it real easy, none of this "recommended vs required" nonsense.

C3B386F5-1952-40E1-A8AC-9D5A37ED2E0A.png

Last edited:
I'm with Overkill on the wording. However, I also acknowledge that the path of least resistance is to pick up an oil with the actual certification. It's not like they're hard to come by. Personally, I've gone out of spec and haven't had problems. That isn't for everyone and following manual wording is usually a safe bet. Of course, we know the Chrysler spec here is nothing beyond an ordinary API/ILSAC oil. If PYB can do it, Mobil 1 certainly can.

burla: A lubricant partnership is hardly a monopoly. Besides, only Shell, Mobil, and Castrol have big enough lubricant catalogs to handle the dog's breakfast that comprise Chrysler's historic and current oil specifications.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back