New 2019 Ram 1500 oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2019 Laramie. After first oil change at 3000 i had them put in PP. At 8000 miles i changed it myself to Rotella Gas Truck 5w20 with a Wix XP filter. Will do 5k mile changes from here on out. Chose the RGT hoping it would be a little more robust while letting me stay with 20weight. Higher moly than PP or PUP

Originally Posted by CrAlt
from the 2019 ram owners manual...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The owners manual is almost 700 pages and they don't ship it with new cars anymore. You can get the pdf and order a hard copy for free from the mopar.com website.

Thank you! Yea my manual just says information guide. No owners manual.

Yours hold seven quarts......... for roughly 8K, after the initial fill, I'd run a good oil once a year. Be different if it held five quarts. But seven is a-lot.
Mobil-1 EP.
Castrol Edge EP (check Moly content first). May have to call Castrol for that info. Haven't seen a VOA/UOA on Castrol Edge EP yet.
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is another choice. Bought online at Walmart - then pick-up at store.

Wait - edited.
The Titanium content in Edge EP is huge. Another oil guru here could tell us if it's a good replacement for Moly. Titanium is highly thought-of here at BITOG and a well respected additive.

Last edited:
I have a 14 JGC with the Hemi. Has only had PP 5W20 or PP 0W20 since I've owned it. As others have stated it holds 7 quarts. I have ran all kinds of filters on it from Motorcraft to Mobile 1 to Mopar to Fram Ultra. None have given me any issue.

I have no "Hemi tick" or oil consumption or any issues what so ever. Usually change between 5k-7.5k and the oil life monitor has never dropped below 20%.

I use PP because its readily available at Walmart for cheap and it has a decent amount of Moly which people seem to recommend for the Hemi.

If I were you I would change once a year or as others have said split the difference but run the oil filter for the full year.
[Linked Image]

5w20, MS-6395, 7qts
The general consensus is to look for a higher moly oil.

Note: you're under warranty. Redline does not meet MS-6395 nor is it API certified unless you use the Professional Series which still isnt certified for MS-6395 spec.

Last edited:
I always do an early change to flush out the break-in debris. first change on our '19 Sport was at 1,150Km with M1 EP 0w-20 and a FRAM Ultra.

Our 14 Ram 5.7 is coming up on 90k miles here pretty soon, still running that 20w oil as specified.

We have used PP in ours, no ticks or rattles here. My wife runs it hard on a toll road regularly, she found the limiter before I did!

Not an easy filter change, but one heck of a nice truck. Still very tight and comfortable like a fine luxury car, does everything we need as a family...

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Our 14 Ram 5.7 is coming up on 90k miles here pretty soon, still running that 20w oil as specified.

We have used PP in ours, no ticks or rattles here. My wife runs it hard on a toll road regularly, she found the limiter before I did!

Not an easy filter change, but one heck of a nice truck. Still very tight and comfortable like a fine luxury car, does everything we need as a family...

Thanks for the input. I love this truck its awesome. Is PP synthetic? I've never looked at it.

Originally Posted by WillB
5,000 miles at the maximum - they have not found a solution for the MDS Lifter issues - clean oil is never a bad thing.

I would die if this happened to my new truck.

Originally Posted by Honda2003

Thanks for the input. I love this truck its awesome. Is PP synthetic? I've never looked at it.

Yep,PP is a synth oil.

When I had my Ram, with the truck up on ramps I would lay on my left side with my head towards the rear of the truck. and reach up in, made getting the filter not too bad a chore.

Word of advice, get some 1 gallon ziploc bags. Loosen the filter just enough where there isnt any oil coming out yet, place the bag over the filter and then unscrew the rest of the way, allow the filter to stay in the bag and hold until all oil is drained. Itll save you the headache of getting oil everywhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Word of advice, get some 1 gallon ziploc bags. Loosen the filter just enough where there isnt any oil coming out yet, place the bag over the filter and then unscrew the rest of the way, allow the filter to stay in the bag and hold until all oil is drained. Itll save you the headache of getting oil everywhere.

This is a good idea. Sounds like it will work good.

Originally Posted by addyguy
No guarantee, but 'a lot' of Dodge/Chrysler dealers use Pennzoil for oil changes, they have an agreement with FCA.

If you like Magantec, it would be a great choice for this rig. The 'clinging' properties of this oil will most likely minimize the 'tick' these Hemi's sometimes develop.

I don't think I want Pennzoil in it for sure. That might be whats in it now from factory idk. Never been a fan of Pennzoil. To many horror story's from back in the day with gunk build up in engine rebuilds. I'm sure that's all changed now but idk.

crackmeup2.gif
reminds me when i was buying some Pennzoil for an oil change and some old lady told me that Pennzoil wiil mess up my engine because of all the wax in the oil.

Originally Posted by Malo83
Originally Posted by addyguy
No guarantee, but 'a lot' of Dodge/Chrysler dealers use Pennzoil for oil changes, they have an agreement with FCA.

If you like Magantec, it would be a great choice for this rig. The 'clinging' properties of this oil will most likely minimize the 'tick' these Hemi's sometimes develop.

I don't think I want Pennzoil in it for sure. That might be whats in it now from factory idk. Never been a fan of Pennzoil. To many horror story's from back in the day with gunk build up in engine rebuilds. I'm sure that's all changed now but idk.

crackmeup2.gif
reminds me when i was buying some Pennzoil for an oil change and some old lady told me that Pennzoil wiil mess up my engine because of all the wax in the oil.

Back in early 90's I seen several engines come in my grandpas shop. Never ran anything but Pennzoil in them. Rebuilt them and you would think someone used tar in them for oil. That was a long time ago but I've just stayed clear of it ever since. It wasn't just 1 engine it was several over a few years. My grandpa and uncle ran the shop done pretty much all repairs. I'm sure they came a long way since but I have never been able to make myself try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back