New Hemi 5.7 - Oil Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New (used) truck, with 5.7 Hemi. Not really familiar with this motor.

On a 2011 tradesman Dodge Ram 4x4 truck. 2nd owner.

(Truck was previously used as a fleet truck, with regular maintenance)

Question: What oils should I consider?

Truck has 155k miles.

GL

Last edited:
A quality synthetic that meets MS-6395 is what I would recommend. 5w20.

Neighbour is on his second one and he runs bulk conventional 5w20. No issues to report.

PYB, PP, or PU in 5W30 would work just fine. PU 5W30 would be my choice, and they all meet the MS6395 spec if that matters to you.

Originally Posted by Greg L
I understand that PYB is the factory fill, so this is good news. I will stick with that...or the HM blend.

Thanks

Unless they fill it with that to encourage excessive wear in the beginning as a break-in oil knowing it's a terrible oil.
lol.gif
J/K

It will serve you well.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I had a 2010, bought new, went away around 90000 miles. Use 5w-20 whatever was around, conventional, synthetic, cheap, expensive. Never used a drop between changes with a 5000 mile OCI. That 30000 mile spark plug change interval with 8 plugs made me glad it was a company truck!

Last edited:
Yeah my Journey had the same Copper Plugs in it with a low change interval. When it was time I put Iridium in it. Not because it was difficult but because changing them that often is stupid IMO. Worked just fine for me.
21.gif

Originally Posted by Greg L
New (used) truck, with 5.7 Hemi. Not really familiar with this motor.

On a 2011 tradesman Dodge Ram 4x4 truck. 2nd owner.

(Truck was previously used as a fleet truck, with regular maintenance)

Question: What oils should I consider?

Truck has 155k miles.

GL

If your engine has the Hemi tick, there was a recent thread about the oil selection ... search the site.
Not sure if it was conclusive but you may learn something!

Originally Posted by c502cid
That 30000 mile spark plug change interval with 8 plugs made me glad it was a company truck!

16*

I forgot about that... my Caliber had copper plugs as well. My 5.7 got Autolite double platinums, Caliber got some NGK iridium's, and the 3.6 is Champion iridium from the factory. I ain't snout that 30k life lol

Originally Posted by StevieC
Yeah my Journey had the same Copper Plugs in it with a low change interval. When it was time I put Iridium in it. Not because it was difficult but because changing them that often is stupid IMO. Worked just fine for me.
21.gif

You would have hated the 60s and 70s. We had to change plugs every 10,000-12,000 miles back then.

Eventually for my 15 I switched to Kendall GT-1 synthetic 5W30. It really does not matter the Hemi is not a picky engine and it does not matter if you use a 20 to 50 grade.

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
21.gif

You would have hated the 60s and 70s. We had to change plugs every 10,000-12,000 miles back then.

My first vehicle was changed more frequently than the Journey but since the development of Platinum and Iridium plugs it has become a rare occurrence and since these were available for my Journey I changed it over for one less thing to do as regularly is all.

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
21.gif

Working on engines in the 60s and 70s was a breeze. There was nothing in the way of removing spark plugs back then.

Hey Greg
Head-up! A new Hemi does not have 155K on the odometer. "New" has approx 10 to 99 miles on it.

Last edited:
my friend has a 2015 ram hemi 5.7 and runs royal purple 5w-20 and it runs plenty quiet. no noticeable "hemi tick". if it was mine it would get 5w-30 but my point is 5w-20 is fine too.

I changed oil this past weekend to Redline 5w-20 and a Royal Purple oil filter. It has 107k miles. Developed a slight tick when I changed to the Mopar 899 oil filter instead of the 399. I could also push down on the exhaust manifold shield. It does go away after about 15 seconds.

oil.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back