5.7 hemi oil discussion

Hi All,

Recently I bought a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee wk2 with 5.7 Hemi engine. The car has been imported from Canada and i have some questions what oil should i use. Since i live in Europe i mostly buy my oils from Germany.

The car doesn't have the hemi "tick" and i would like to keep it that way :)

I'm thinking of using RAVENOL DXG SAE 5W-30, which is PAO based and it has HTHS of 3,25.

Other options for me are:

Amsoil SS 0w-30
Amsoil SS 5w-20
Ravenol SFE 5w-20

Unfortunately in Europe its hard to find Pennzoil Platinum. About the Redline oil, there are imports but i don't like the price of it, its almost twice expensive as the rest of the oils here :cautious:

Also if you know another oil that would suit the 5.7 engine and it is available in Europe, please tell me. Cheers!

You can use year-round Mobil FS 1 0W-40 or Castrol EDGE 0W-40. Both of these should be easy to find and cost less than Ravenol or AMSOIL. They will protect that HEMI really well. Unless, of course, you want to overcomplicate things. Funny enough, the HEMI is not the kind of engine where a 0/5W-20 oil will offer better real world fuel economy.

Thanks for your replies.

@SubieRubyRoo, thank you. Yes, on paper it looks too good to be true :D

@Invisible, thank you too. I like the Mobil and Castrol 0w-40, they are easy to find and not expensive. I have a small concern that they don't have the Chrysler ms-6395 spec, which shouldn't matter but still :rolleyes:

I have a small concern that they don't have the Chrysler ms-6395 spec, which shouldn't matter but still :rolleyes:
That's not an industry recognized specification. Way back when, it was a copy of API SM "Resource Conserving" specification. When Chrysler merged with FIAT, the Shell contract from FIAT came along and so the so-called spec was used to sell Pennzoil to North American customers. Before all of this, Mobil 1 was the preferred oil. SRT engines like the old HEMI 6.1 used to have an oil filler cap that said Mobil 1 on it and the recommended oil was 0W-40. FWIW, the 5.7 HEMI has the same main and rod bearing clearances, along with the same lifters, as the HEMI 6.4. They share a ton of parts. The HEMI 6.4 calls for 0W-40.

Nowadays FCA, which is not owned by Stellantis, abandoned the so-called MS-6395 spec. They don't even bring it up when they talk about their newer engines, and they wrote Pennzoil and Shell out of their newer owner manuals.

The MS-6395 is not an industry recognized lubricant specification, so just ignore it. You'll be fine with 0W-40. Yes, you can find 0W-20 in Europe, and you could use Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W-20, Castrol EDGE C5 0W-20, and so on. However, you will not achieve any fuel savings with any of them. Funny enough, in a never ending quest struggling to meet new EPA emissions, FCA specified 0W-20 for the HEMI for the last few years, though nothing changed internally with the engine. Well, that didn't do them much good either, that's why they moved on to making the Hurricane family of engines now. They're not going to be better, but they will cost more, and they will conform to new EPA regulations.

You can use year-round Mobil FS 1 0W-40 or Castrol EDGE 0W-40. Both of these should be easy to find and cost less than Ravenol or AMSOIL. They will protect that HEMI really well. Unless, of course, you want to overcomplicate things. Funny enough, the HEMI is not the kind of engine where a 0/5W-20 oil will offer better real world fuel economy.
This.

That's not an industry recognized specification. Way back when, it was a copy of API SM "Resource Conserving" specification. When Chrysler merged with FIAT, the Shell contract from FIAT came along and so the so-called spec was used to sell Pennzoil to North American customers. Before all of this, Mobil 1 was the preferred oil. SRT engines like the old HEMI 6.1 used to have an oil filler cap that said Mobil 1 on it and the recommended oil was 0W-40. FWIW, the 5.7 HEMI has the same main and rod bearing clearances, along with the same lifters, as the HEMI 6.4. They share a ton of parts. The HEMI 6.4 calls for 0W-40.

Nowadays FCA, which is not owned by Stellantis, abandoned the so-called MS-6395 spec. They don't even bring it up when they talk about their newer engines, and they wrote Pennzoil and Shell out of their newer owner manuals.

The MS-6395 is not an industry recognized lubricant specification, so just ignore it. You'll be fine with 0W-40. Yes, you can find 0W-20 in Europe, and you could use Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W-20, Castrol EDGE C5 0W-20, and so on. However, you will not achieve any fuel savings with any of them. Funny enough, in a never ending quest struggling to meet new EPA emissions, FCA specified 0W-20 for the HEMI for the last few years, though nothing changed internally with the engine. Well, that didn't do them much good either, that's why they moved on to making the Hurricane family of engines now. They're not going to be better, but they will cost more, and they will conform to new EPA regulations.
Thank you very much for this detailed explanation! It makes sense now to ignore the spec.

Thanks all participants in this discussion. I will go with the Mobil1 FS 0w-40. Cheers 🍻

Thank you very much for this detailed explanation! It makes sense now to ignore the spec.

Thanks all participants in this discussion. I will go with the Mobil1 FS 0w-40. Cheers 🍻
This is a very good, very safe decision. M1 FS 0w40 is arguably the very best oil that is easily found on shelves everywhere, and works in just about every application. It carries some of the most demanding certifications, yet is very reasonably priced. You’ll be well-served by this choice!

Back