Dodge Challenger 5.7 oil

I have continued my buying another Mopar car and this time went for the 5.7 along with my Jeep 3.6 i have now.....what would be a good oil 5w 20 I could use in both the Dodge and Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6 im using QS syn 5w 20 in the Jeep with a Mopar filter. I was thinking of Penn ultra 5w 20 syn for the 5.7 Hemi.....

FCA recommends using a 5W-20 that meets material standard MS-6395 in both those engines. In these types of threads eventually every brand gets recommended, including Super Tech/Kirkland/Amazon Basics. All modern SN+ or SP oils are “good”, the usual recommendation is use whatever’s the cheapest or on sale or has a rebate.

just out of my own morbid curiosity, this isn't the one you bought is it?

highly unlikely, i know, but...was my brothers car from new, he sold it to carvana last fall...

I have continued my buying another Mopar car and this time went for the 5.7 along with my Jeep 3.6 i have now.....what would be a good oil 5w 20 I could use in both the Dodge and Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6 im using QS syn 5w 20 in the Jeep with a Mopar filter. I was thinking of Penn ultra 5w 20 syn for the 5.7 Hemi.....
Whatever oil you decide to run, make sure you use a bigger quality filter like a Fram Ultra XG2 (or FS2), Royal Purple 20-820, or Purolator BOSS PBL24651. You can use any ILSAC 5W-20, 5W-30, or Euro 0W-40 oil in it. If you're going to have some fun with it use 0W-40. I use 0W-40 in my truck because I'm towing sometimes and mine doesn't have an oil cooler. More important than anything is to keep the oil changed on time and clean. The 5.7 has a bunch of solenoids in it for MDS and oil pressure regulation and if any of those get clogged with dirt then there is trouble. Enjoy!

Whatever oil you decide to run, make sure you use a bigger quality filter like a Fram Ultra XG2 (or FS2), Royal Purple 20-820, or Purolator BOSS PBL24651. You can use any ILSAC 5W-20, 5W-30, or Euro 0W-40 oil in it. If you're going to have some fun with it use 0W-40. I use 0W-40 in my truck because I'm towing sometimes and mine doesn't have an oil cooler. More important than anything is to keep the oil changed on time and clean. The 5.7 has a bunch of solenoids in it for MDS and oil pressure regulation and if any of those get clogged with dirt then there is trouble. Enjoy!
I drive very little..... the Jeep GC i bought new June 8th last year... just clicked 7k miles today. My guess is I will drive the Challenger maybe 5-6lk miles a year so i will be only changing the oil once a year in both.....

Got a Grand Cherokee Overland with the 3.6 and a Ram Limited with the 5.7.....I was running QSUD while in warranty and now run Mobil 1

I use 5w/30. That is what I recommend.

If it was my Hemi, stay with the 5W-20 viscosity and MS-6395 rating on the oil.
My choice is PP 5W-20 and OE filter.
Just less reason for warranty denial should it ever become an issue.
Keep receipts and a log of when the oil changes were done.

Any of the oils listed so far will do fine. Me being a Castrol fan I’d run Castrol in it. Pennzoil is fine too.
As a professional, trained mechanic your advice to a customer asking for your opinion would be that using 5W-30 or 0W-40, neither of which is recommended by FCA for the engines the OP has, is that they would “do fine”? Would you and or the shop you’re employed by stand behind that recommendation in the event of an oil related issue?

If it was my Hemi, stay with the 5W-20 viscosity and MS-6395 rating on the oil.
My choice is PP 5W-20 and OE filter.
Just less reason for warranty denial should it ever become an issue.
Keep receipts and a log of when the oil changes were done.
+1. Exactly what I do with my Ram and Jeep Cherokee. PP 5W-20 in the Ram Hemi and PP 5W-30 synthetic in the Jeep 2L turbo.

Got a Grand Cherokee Overland with the 3.6 and a Ram Limited with the 5.7.....I was running QSUD while in warranty and now run Mobil 1

I use 5w/30. That is what I recommend.
It looks like PSA already had a working relationship with ExxonMobil:

With the new Stellantis empire consisting of FCA and PSA, it will be interesting to see if ExxonMobil will adopt MS-6395 across the board.

It looks like PSA already had a working relationship with ExxonMobil:

With the new Stellantis empire consisting of FCA and PSA, it will be interesting to see if ExxonMobil will adopt MS-6395 across the board.

If M1 0w-40 gets the SRT approval back? That will be VERY interesting.

As a professional, trained mechanic your advice to a customer asking for your opinion would be that using 5W-30 or 0W-40, neither of which is recommended by FCA for the engines the OP has, is that they would “do fine”? Would you and or the shop you’re employed by stand behind that recommendation in the event of an oil related issue?
The original post states 5W-20 which he then mentioned using Pennzoil. I was referring to the oils he listed or listed by the others saying 5W-20 . I never go against manufacturers recommendation for oil.

The original post states 5W-20 which he then mentioned using Pennzoil. I was referring to the oils he listed or listed by the others saying 5W-20 . I never go against manufacturers recommendation for oil.
Your statement that "Any of the oils listed so far will do fine." 5W-30 and 0W-40 were listed in a couple posts.

If M1 0w-40 gets the SRT approval back? That will be VERY interesting.

I doubt that they will go back to M1 FS 0W-40 since the PUP SRT 0W-40 is a mid-SAPS oil. My guess is that one of the M1 ESP 0W-40 oils will get approval. Mobil 1 has this habit of making more than one version of the same viscosity in the same motor oil family and then they use an "X" to differentiate them.

Back