New 2019 Ram 1500 oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd just use the weight/approvals/specs that the book calls for and use a good high-quality syn oil like M1 or similar. For your driving, 2x a year seems reasonable so maybe 5K is a good choice for OCI.

Originally Posted by Honda2003
Originally Posted by Malo83
Originally Posted by addyguy
No guarantee, but 'a lot' of Dodge/Chrysler dealers use Pennzoil for oil changes, they have an agreement with FCA.

If you like Magantec, it would be a great choice for this rig. The 'clinging' properties of this oil will most likely minimize the 'tick' these Hemi's sometimes develop.

I don't think I want Pennzoil in it for sure. That might be whats in it now from factory idk. Never been a fan of Pennzoil. To many horror story's from back in the day with gunk build up in engine rebuilds. I'm sure that's all changed now but idk.

crackmeup2.gif
reminds me when i was buying some Pennzoil for an oil change and some old lady told me that Pennzoil wiil mess up my engine because of all the wax in the oil.

Back in early 90's I seen several engines come in my grandpas shop. Never ran anything but Pennzoil in them. Rebuilt them and you would think someone used tar in them for oil. That was a long time ago but I've just stayed clear of it ever since. It wasn't just 1 engine it was several over a few years. My grandpa and uncle ran the shop done pretty much all repairs. I'm sure they came a long way since but I have never been able to make myself try it.

Pennzoil and even Arnold Palmer cannot stop a bad engine design.
Did it ever occur to you why Pennzoil has gone 3-4 decades straight as the #1 selling motor oil?......... I didn't think so.

All these suggestions for M1 which is NOT MS6395 approved..

Regardless of what your opinion on the spec is (too easy, too hard, qualification standards in general) it's still the spec, and a dealer can deny any warranty service, such as a lifter failure, just by you saying you used Mobil 1 or providing proof of oil changes (showing you used it)

Dont like pennzoil? Dont use it. Castrol Edge, Valvoline Synpower meets the spec, as does plenty of other synthetic oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
RTFM

Best post in the entire thread. Manual gives you the recommended viscosity, change interval, suggested brands and recommendations for special use (severe) circumstances. Everything RAM thinks you need to know to get good service from this truck and keep your warranty intact.

Originally Posted by JunkdrawerDog
RTFM

Best post in the entire thread. Manual gives you the recommended viscosity, change interval, suggested brands and recommendations for special use (severe) circumstances. Everything RAM thinks you need to know to get good service from this truck and keep your warranty intact.

I know but what fun is that? I mean, way better to blend 6 different types of oils together that you bought and horded for the last 10 years with rebates from Walmart. ahhaha

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

Because MS6395 isn't anything special.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Its special enough for them to deny your warranty if something happens.
In this case, it's an engine that has a notoriety for lifter failures
Pair that with Chrysler dealers notoriously looking for every excuse to NOT fix a car, it could be an issue.

If this was a Hyundai or Ford? Go for it. But I've learned that Chrysler/Ram/Jeep/Dodge dealers are always looking for a scapegoat to get out of doing warranty work.

I had a horn on a 2013 Dart quit working. 3 dealerships questioned me on everything. Oil, ATF, etc. They almost denied my warranty claim, know why? I didnt use a Chrysler/MOPAR air filter. Again, this was to replace a faulty HORN.

OP use a spec'd oil. That way, if you're one of the unlucky ones who has a lifter issue, they cant use the "this doesn't meet MS 6395" to give you a hard time.

Last edited:

Pair that with Chrysler dealers notoriously looking for every excuse to NOT fix a car, it could be an issue.

If this was a Hyundai or Ford? Go for it. But I've learned that Chrysler/Ram/Jeep/Dodge dealers are always looking for a scapegoat to get out of doing warranty work.

I had a horn on a 2013 Dart quit working. 3 dealerships questioned me on everything. Oil, ATF, etc. They almost denied my warranty claim, know why? I didnt use a Chrysler/MOPAR air filter. Again, this was to replace a faulty HORN.

OP use a spec'd oil. That way, if you're one of the unlucky ones who has a lifter issue, they cant use the "this doesn't meet MS 6395" to give you a hard time.

And I don't know of single person who's ever had their warranty denied for using Mobil 1, including those with the Lifetime warranty/had a lifter fail. Seeing as they almost always fail outside of warranty (5 year 60k) I still say he can use whatever he wants. If it's gonna fail, it's gonna fail. Other people never have an issue.

As for the Dart... why would you do that to yourself?

And I don't know of single person who's ever had their warranty denied for using Mobil 1, including those with the Lifetime warranty/had a lifter fail. Seeing as they almost always fail outside of warranty (5 year 60k) I still say he can use whatever he wants. If it's gonna fail, it's gonna fail. Other people never have an issue.

As for the Dart... why would you do that to yourself?

The car was great? Had zero issues other than a gas pedal recall and a horn issue. Was a 2.0L that made plenty of trips from texas to florida without issue.

This post isnt about that car.

All I am saying is Mopar dealership service is about as shady as a shade tree in a dark alley.

I'm not knocking Mobil 1, it just doesnt meet spec. No matter how easy or how hard or how special this spec is, they can always blame an issue on that. It's a scapegoat to get more money out of you (failing to use the spec = not covered under warranty so pay us)

I, for one, like to mitigate any issues by using what is specified in the OM, which is a 5w20 that meets MS 6395. Why risk something so easy to prevent? The OP can use countless oils that are just as good as Mobil 1 that wont (possibly) cause issues later on.

Last edited:

The car was great? Had zero issues other than a gas pedal recall and a horn issue. Was a 2.0L that made plenty of trips from texas to florida without issue.

This post isnt about that car.

All I am saying is Mopar dealership service is about as shady as a shade tree in a dark alley.

I'm not knocking Mobil 1, it just doesnt meet spec. No matter how easy or how hard or how special this spec is, they can always blame an issue on that. It's a scapegoat to get more money out of you (failing to use the spec = not covered under warranty so pay us)

I, for one, like to mitigate any issues by using what is specified in the OM, which is a 5w20 that meets MS 6395. Why risk something so easy to prevent? The OP can use countless oils that are just as good as Mobil 1 that wont (possibly) cause issues later on.

I'm sorry, I'm still bitter they never made a SRT version of the Dart... so much potential wasted
frown.gif

Comparing GF-5 to MS6395 they're pretty much a direct copy. But for warranty, I think that's going to come down to the individual dealer... the shady one near me will look for any excuse to get out of warranty work. The one I use couldn't care less, as long as you changed it when you're supposed to with the proper viscosity. I log my changes in the Mopar app/online.

I'm also speaking from only owning used cars that usually don't have much of a warranty left. If I had bought something brand new I'd likely follow the owners manual exactly.

Last edited:

I'm also speaking from only owning used cars that usually don't have much of a warranty left. If I had bought something brand new I'd likely follow the owners manual exactly.

Exactly. The first 60,000mi OP should use something that meets spec. After that, Mobil 1 it all up as you wish lol

Regardless of what your opinion on the spec is (too easy, too hard, qualification standards in general) it's still the spec, and a dealer can deny any warranty service, such as a lifter failure, just by you saying you used Mobil 1 or providing proof of oil changes (showing you used it)

Dont like pennzoil? Dont use it. Castrol Edge, Valvoline Synpower meets the spec, as does plenty of other synthetic oils.

If the manual SPECIFICALLY STATES you MUST use MS6395, sure, but it doesn't. It states that you MUST use an API-Certified lubricant in the correct grade, they RECOMMEND you use an oil that carries the MS-6395 Material Standard:

[Linked Image]

RTFM

What manual? The new trucks dont come with one.

RTFM

What manual? The new trucks dont come with one.

It's a download.

Sheesh...I just said "Use M1" b/c I assumed that it would meet whatever standards your typical American vehicle requires...I guess I was wrong. I'd just use whatever they state/spec in the manual but agree it doesn' say required, it says recommend. The second page nails it - need the API cert stamp and correct grade, that's all.

Last edited:
I tend to look for Dexos, or German car oil specs
I buy Dexos for our Pentastar engine, and euro for a GM turbo … oh well …

Interesting.
The manual tells you what Ram wants you to run and how long.
You don't believe it.
Instead, you ask a bunch of strangers what they'd do.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back