Never before have I been so uninspired/disinterested...

Every O’Reilly stocks 0w-16 Mobil1…
Widely available has in the usual suspects all having 0w-16 available in the commercial parts market.

Pennzoil has long has the Hybrid 0w16, but I yet to see it on the shelf. Haven't seen a Castrol offering on the shelves yet....Even though WalMart has SuperTech 0w-16, it's almost impossible to find.

So... that's not widely available.

It seems that in a market where vehicles keep getting faster, more economical, more durable and more reliable what's not to like?
Thinking back over the decades, there have always been ugly cars as well as cars that had little to recommend them.
There is a wide range of choice out there ranging from quite cheap to outrageously overpriced.
There is something to suit every need and desire of every buyer.
I look back fondly at a number of the cars we've had over the years, but I doubt I'd be as happy with a new '86 Civic Wagon as I was back in 1986, however fondly I recall driving the little thing with its fun handling and great shifting.
I'm not looking at the moment, but if I were I know there are a number of cars I'd look at seriously.

Have fun trying to find 0W-8 oil. It's not that readily available yet.

Well we’re not even sure if the Toyota will be the eventual winner in my Wife’s search. It has made it to the top of the list of cars that she likes, but we have plenty of time, so who knows. I would love to stay with a sedan and avoid joining the ranks of SUV owners, but it’s getting tough.
I’m not really too keen on that 0W8 though, it just blows my mind that the others have 0W16, but the crown has 0W8. 🤔

Well we’re not even sure if the Toyota will be the eventual winner in my Wife’s search. It has made it to the top of the list of cars that she likes, but we have plenty of time, so who knows. I would love to stay with a sedan and avoid joining the ranks of SUV owners, but it’s getting tough.
I’m not really too keen on that 0W8 though, it just blows my mind that the others have 0W16, but the crown has 0W8. 🤔
Buy the Toyota extended warranty....problem solved. If it doesn't blowup in the first 100,000 miles-it won't blow up in the second 100,000 miles......

I think the problem is that manufacturers (aside from supercars or Porsche) have shifted their focus from making their cars a better driving experience, to going all-in on how much tech and gadgets they can stuff into a car. I've been in too many new cars where it has an enormous touch screen, but the seats suck, the engine is buzzy like a 1990s econobox, and the interior feels like it was purchased from walmart. I work in the tech field, so that stuff doesn't impress me, and in many cases just becomes annoying when it has glitches or terrible UI.

Last edited:
I think the problem is that manufacturers (aside from supercars or Porsche) have shifted their focus from making their cars a better driving experience, to going all-in on how much tech and gadgets they can stuff into a car. I've been in too many new cars where it has an enormous touch screen, but the seats suck, the engine is buzzy like a 1990s econobox, and the interior feels like it was purchased from walmart. I work in the tech field, so that stuff doesn't impress me, and in many cases just become annoying when it has glitches or terrible UI.

Oh absolutely, many are test driving gadgets and stereos, manufacturers know that.

If driving dynamics mattered much we wouldn’t be as buried in SUVs.

I think the problem is that manufacturers (aside from supercars or Porsche) have shifted their focus from making their cars a better driving experience, to going all-in on how much tech and gadgets they can stuff into a car. I've been in too many new cars where it has an enormous touch screen, but the seats suck, the engine is buzzy like a 1990s econobox, and the interior feels like it was purchased from walmart. I work in the tech field, so that stuff doesn't impress me, and in many cases just becomes annoying when it has glitches or terrible UI.
That’s why I was so pleasantly surprised by my C43. The driving dynamics are first-rate and the interior and UI are actually focused on the driver. Frequently accessed functions have physical switches and instead of a touchscreen there are multiple ways to access the telematics without taking your eyes off the road.

i like the cars with steering wheel buttons for the radio and cruise control, knobs for everything else. a real compass is cooler than a little screen and who needs carplay when you can have a 6 cd changer? or even better, a cassette deck.

I agree I’ve been bored with new cars for awhile. I think it’s because I work on them. There is just no fun in them anymore. Like when I get in a car I want to turn a key I don’t want to push a button. I also want minimal power features. I’ll give an example the 4Runner it’s been the same for years as far as interior goes at least, it’s boring and hard to work on. They are due for a major change for 2024 finally except they are giving it the ugly Tundra front end. Hopefully they will go back to spin on filters too. I honestly don’t see how they still sell. I get so bored with all these new cars and features. To me a fun car is a base model, minimal add ons and a nice color like blue or red or anything except silver and white because those are boring. And let’s not forget a real key preferably without a chip so it can be copied anywhere but as long as it’s a real key we are fine. I’m sure all of us have a different view on what a fun car is but that’s ok. Everyone knows I’m old school anyway haha. My ideal car if new would be a 4 cylinder Tacoma 4WD in blue or black. It’s got the best of both worlds spin on filters and automatic or manual transmission for a Tacoma a automatic is better the manual takes some getting used too and is very touchy, real keys and easy to work on but underpowered slightly but still more reliable than the 3.5 in my opinion. And some of them have manual windows and locks from what I’ve seen. One thing I do like as far as features is a back up camera which is required on all vehicles now anyway. It makes things easier for people like me who are scared of driving.

Unfortunately they only offered the 5 speed manual in the 4 cylinder trucks for the 2016 and 2017 model years. Only way to get a stick is the 3.5 V6 and a TRD trim, which is $40K plus now adays.

They did have a fleet option SR with the 3.5L and 6 speed manual. Pretty basic truck. That too was only offered up until 2017.

OP, this is why I have a Rogue now.

Nothing else was interesting and I can’t afford the car I actually want anyway. Having a Rogue previously made it easy to just get another one. No extra thought needed.

Iowa is considered fly-over country. No hills, no curves. Nothing to look at. Can't buy beer on Sundays.
Might as well have a truck that can go 100 mph all day.

You can buy beer and liquor every day that ends in Y after 6am here in Iowa at your corner gas station.
Ride your bicycle across the state and tell me there are no hills ;-)

The new generation Camry will be out later this year. It's rumored to be hybrid only and some pictures of it resemble the Crown but at likely a much better price point. Although it probably won't sit so high up. Might be worth the wait to check it out.

You can buy beer and liquor every day that ends in Y after 6am here in Iowa at your corner gas station.
Ride your bicycle across the state and tell me there are no hills ;-)
From your link, it looks like Iowa is a pickup truck state so you can survive a high speed animal strike, Wal*marts are not closing their doors and people know which washrooms to use.

Back