Never before have I been so uninspired/disinterested...

My opinion is that while it's true that a lot of choices in todays vehicles are rather dull and lack individuality/excitement....you can still find various models that can be a whole lot of fun. The main obstacle is price, then comes availability. When I drive by dealer lots, they are practically empty. Definitely not much to choose from. You can order a car.....if you don't mind waiting 6 months.
Toyota is having an especially hard time with inventory -still!

Toyota is having an especially hard time with inventory -still!
I'm sure. I was recently at the Honda dealer and I didn't see one new car on the lot. They told me the cars they do get in sell almost immediately once they unload them from the truck. Forty cars came in before one weekend...and they were all sold by Sunday.

Reactions: CKN
I looked at 2 C43 sedans before I bought my car in December. Since then I haven’t seen another CPO C43 within 150 miles of my home.

I like small cheap base model cars with manual transmission and they don’t exist anymore. Well maybe the Kia Rio, but that’s going the way of the Accent next year and doesn’t have manual anymore. Automatic is ok too I guess. I am getting older so my 19’ Soul will probably be the last manual I own.
I used to love these base models too especially hatchbacks. And at one time, I didn't care if I had to hold up the the hatchback with a "cut-to-size" broom handle after the struts wore out. Or if I had 3 of 4 different brands of tires on the car...just to get by.

ATMOF in my past, I always liked(and often bought) the cheapest car(hatch or coupe/sedan) from that car company with its largest engine option. I once had an '82 Subaru GL-10 w/1.8L/2bbl. The standard GL only had the 1.6L/single bbl...what a slug!

Not that the GL-10 with the larger 1.8L/2bbl was a speed demon but it was noticeably better & satisfying especially going up steeper grades. Ours was an automatic 'cause at the time, my wife didn't drive a stick. And truthfully, I just didn't want for more power. I mean, it was OK/fine! My buddy used to do this with his Datsun's & Toyota's back in the early/mid '70s and even into the '80s.

Last edited:
My opinion is that while it's true that a lot of choices in todays vehicles are rather dull and lack individuality/excitement....you can still find various models that can be a whole lot of fun. The main obstacle is price, then comes availability. When I drive by dealer lots, they are practically empty. Definitely not much to choose from. You can order a car.....if you don't mind waiting 6 months.
Or, even if you order something, the way the trim levels and engine options are packaged you end up with a bunch of stuff you don’t want that drives up the price.

I’ve never bought a new car but based on what I’ve purchased used you used to be able to pick, let’s say, a nicely optioned out vehicle, with a base engine. Or a basic vehicle with a bigger engine. Etc.

I’m agree, new vehicles don’t excite me either. Not sure if I lost interest or the industry got stagnant. It’s probably a combination of both.

My wife and I recently went to a Porsche dealer. I thought I’m gonna be all over them with excitement. Nope, as I sat in the SUV, I kept thinking, it’s nice, but just feels generic, like any VW product I experienced before. And then I saw the price tag. 😱

I’m agree, new vehicles don’t excite me either. Not sure if I lost interest or the industry got stagnant. It’s probably a combination of both.

My wife and I recently went to a Porsche dealer. I thought I’m gonna be all over them with excitement. Nope, as I sat in the SUV, I kept thinking, it’s nice, but just feels generic, like any VW product I experienced before. And then I saw the price tag. 😱
I suspect this is an underlying reason for many of those who have "lack of excitement" feelings.

Ugh!

That looks like a shelf directly above the grille! What was Toyota thinking?

Set your quart bottles on that shelf so they’re readily available during an oil change?

That would be a very ineffective shelf as it's angled down

In the midsize CUV category, the Auto magazines traditionally loved the Mazda CX-9 because of it's "sportiness" on a winding mountain road, even though it's large exterior size doesn't translate to interior space. And all that praise that doesn't translate to class leading sales though, because it's not what the average consumer wants. Mazda is picking up where their earlier attempt at Amati failed, as they try to occupy the space of the common people brand and the luxury brand.

These days, the same press loves the Hyundai Palisades/Kia Telluride (it's big and feature-packed for the money)... and will soon love the Mazda CX-90 even more due to RWD-based chasiss and a turbo straight-6.

But then again, I choose a vehicle to buy based on my needs, not what magazines and youtubers think I need.

It's been 5 years for Toyota already with 0w-16. It's not widely available, unless more and more manufacturers start using like like 20-weight oil.
Understood, but you still have a ton of Toyota dealers and the eBay resellers. Yeah it won't be bargain basement but neither was the car. I get it but I suspect few owners will actually use 0w-8 unless they are the warranty fear mongers.

Back