Never before have I been so uninspired/disinterested...

love how they think it's so flat. yes, it's not Colorado, but you want flat go see Florida...
or Illinois or Nebraska or Kansas...

Heck, according to this Iowa isn't even in the top 10 - actually #18!

1683721990897.png

0e0e0b16693cb59e84d6f8fb26839e2dcc673be7b3da53c35555baba64ff83bd.gif

be careful about any review, score may be boosted by bribe money.
we already see some shady :poop: in tyre reviews, continental for example uses quality upper layer; if that wears down, performance is lower with cheaper rubber.

I love performance cars, but especially when something like an SUV has a sporting nature, you don't really want it to feel that sporty when just going to the store or work. Some vehicles are so rough edged for the sake of performance that if they aren't driven at 7/10s or higher, it's just not something I want and it's odd for a car that isn't overtly a performance car. I'm a big fan of VWs dynamic chassis control that the Golf R and some trims of the GTI have and I have found this makes a big difference in ride quality. GM's magnetic ride is great for this too. I just don't think it pays for cars that don't have on the fly suspension adjustment to have too harsh of suspension and if these adjustable options are available, I will gladly pay for those and as the OP mentioned too rough a suspension in the lower models is definitely a turn off.

I'm sure it's a fine line for manufacturers. They want to sell the most vehicles to the most people, but there's a line where a car isn't sporting enough for an enthusiast, but gear it too far into the enthusiast category and it'll be too rough for many other buyers. I'm that guy that always wants one of the fast ones that handles very well, but I also want to dial back the aggressiveness of the ride when I'm not absolutely beating the brakes off of it.

or Illinois or Nebraska or Kansas...

Heck, according to this Iowa isn't even in the top 10 - actually #18!

View attachment 155258
What about R.I. and N.J. ?

Just saw that Crown is >2 tons dry and a 4 cyl awd. Whaaa the hey?!

The Camry looks mucho más bonita.

Local dealer has a 4wd LE near me for under 28K out the door. Not bad.
and it weighs a semi-reasonable 3475lbs

Last edited:
the more plumbing there is the easier it is to clog the pipes.
wrong thread?

and .... I have a loooong pipe from my kitchen sink and I must agree. Was just snaking it 2 months ago. Looked like Crisco hardened arteries in there. Weird . We have been running a drain maintainer/enzyme chemical every month. It didn't work.

In 6 yrs of ownership my white Camry le was purchased with 24 K miles. 6 yrs along, I've only added 40K. I'm heading for 73 and never planned to last this long. I think I'm looking at my last car. The car doesn't break,which is a feature lacking in many other cars. Other than that, it is nothing special. :cool:

In 6 yrs of ownership my white Camry le was purchased with 24 K miles. 6 yrs along, I've only added 40K. I'm heading for 73 and never planned to last this long. I think I'm looking at my last car. The car doesn't break,which is a feature lacking in many other cars. Other than that, it is nothing special. :cool:
When I was looking at the 2006 LS430 in 2016, my $14k could get me that, or, a 2014 Camry with 35k (NOT a 2014.5). Of course, I chose the car that was 8 years older and had 46k more miles. I thought I would be in the minority to do it. But the car has had nothing break in 7 years, so I feel I made the right choice....it's comfortable, like driving a mattress out of the bedroom and onto the roads...

Car magazines have always been overly enthusiastic and well photographed.

Advancing years can dull the thrill offered by vehicles. Yes, and we're getting duller too (ha-ha)
Assessing and fending off (good luck with that) the junk toys installed on vehicles crushes joy.

Plus we all have the fear of buying a vehicle which, somehow, will be technologically marginalized and/or see evaporating support.
This is how I feel buying electronics. Hey wait! Cars are masses of electronics!

Enjoy the Venza...tread upon our roadways lightly.....don't get hit by a truck.
Part of the problem is that while A) Vehicles are as safe as they've ever been it seems that there's less and less to differentiate between brands/ technology. It seems like in the 90s when you saw a vehicle drive by you could immediately tell Oh it's a Honda, Nissan, Lexus etc.

There is a fix for that. It is called interior cleaner.

Think about this. Those same stains you hate so much on light colored interiors, also exist on the black seats. But you choose to ignore them, because they don't stand out as much. After you think about that, isn't that just a little . . . icky?
There is another fix: don't wear blue jeans. :cool:

I don't get them: they're uncomfortable. In summer, they're hot and in winter they don't warm. The fabrik is rough, which means that if you walk a lot you will get rashes on you inner thighs (provided you are somewhat muscular) and they will wear through in a couple of weeks.

Dress trousers look much sharper, anyways. A heavier weave herringbone or even tweed in winter can be even be paired with boots without looking odd; in summer a leightweight wool is surprisingly cool. If it is really hot, nothing beats linnen.

And if I need something rugged or practical for the outdoors or if I am doing dome manual labour, I usually opt for bdu-style trousers. They don't stain, and if you buy quality they are almost indestructible (I especially recommend the Leo Köhler trousers that are based on the ansieht West german olive dran- but also available in other colours. That stuff is incredibly durable.)

Back to topic: I loathe black or dark grey interiors. Unfotunately that is 90% of what you can get here in Germany.
But what puts me off modern cars the most is the use of touch screens instead of buttons. Screens ruin night vision; they also require you to take your eyes of the road to operate them.
In that sense, most modern cars are less useful than oder cars. So what's the point then? Am I buying an ipad on wheels or a car?

Last edited:
When you're driving in the city night vision is shot anyways due to all the environmental lighting from street lights and the headlights of others...screens in the car don't matter unless you are out of town in literal darkness and they are adjusted to be too bright.

When you're driving in the city night vision is shot anyways due to all the environmental lighting from street lights and the headlights of others...screens in the car don't matter unless you are out of town in literal darkness and they are adjusted to be too bright.
If you're driving with the headlights on your night vision is shot.

The point of having minimal light sources inside the cabin is to minimize the "one side mirror effect" that gets created. The light inside the cabin bounces off the window glass and reflects back. The color of the light also plays a role. That's what minimizes the vision, not the loss of night vision by your eyes.

If you're driving with the headlights on your night vision is shot.

The point of having minimal light sources inside the cabin is to minimize the "one side mirror effect" that gets created. The light inside the cabin bounces off the window glass and reflects back. The color of the light also plays a role. That's what minimizes the vision, not the loss of night vision by your eyes.
It depends on how bright your headlights are, and how bright the moon is. A full moon is brighter than my low beams once you get 20-30 feet ahead of my car. My car also only has one tiny screen, and it's pretty dim, especially when the headlights are on.

No desire to shop here. Being down one car due to a winter accident makes me think I “need” to make sure incoming vehicles have VSC (on top of appropriate tires for the weather) but I also dislike alloy rims. I got my Corolla as it seemed like one of the last boring yet simplistic cars I could buy. Only to find out the trunk is not large enough to fit snow tires, and it should not have a trailer hitch on it, so it is very short on utility.

Shopping local CL seems a waste of time for used. Still have to though, never know what might pop up.

Back