Never before have I been so uninspired/disinterested...

...by the vehicles that are on the market today. FYI This subject could(IMO) also be put into the "General/Off Topic" section as well however, I've chose to place it here.

IDK if I should even write this:
Usually when we're looking for a new/new to us vehicle(which we are looking), we're excited, impatient, even giddy like a 12 yr old, about getting a new vehicle. But this time, especially me(not my wife) I am just not as excited about what we're seeing, test-driving, sitting in, walking around etc. Vehicles that we've tested just aren't do anything for me. Vehicles that I was expecting to like/love and even wanted to like/love even more, I felt was very disappointing on many fronts. Especially the way that the PRESS is blowing up such a LARGE picture of certain vehicles. I mean, they're OK but IMO many of these PRESS LOVE VEHICLES are just HO-HUM. Many are good but not great vehicle for me in the terms of livability and everyday-ness. I HATE A HARSH RIDE AND A NOISY CABIN.

I've discussed this in my car circle of both men & women, young & old alike, just to get a better prospective from many sides.
We believe that most auto manufactures are building vehicle for the PRESS. I mean, where is your favorite winding mountain road?
It's almost as though we're being forced to accept vehicle we don't even like. Sure there's a vehicle for everyone and my wife & I have a deposit down on a Toyota Venza(which I've discussed in other threads) however, the Venza is a vehicle that we both agree on together.

I mean, I like(not love) a particular vehicle or two more than she, and my wife likes(not loves) another couple of vehicles more than I do but we both agree on the Venza. So, it's about balance & compromise. We both want a new(er) vehicle and to sell what we have(2015 Altima) while it is $till worth $omething and running well for the next owner.

We both think that, if we have to look at another vehicle with an all black interior that, we're just not going to buy right now. If we have to take a test-drive in a(we're looking at SUV) vehicle that so sporty even in base form that it is unlivable for the daily commute on our salt ridden roads, that we'll wait once more. If we have to look at an infotainment screen so convoluted with such a high learning curve and menu after menu just to do the basics, the car companies can keep'em. And drivers seats so hard and narrow that, I just haven't sat in anything that I would call comfortable. I've sat in some better seats than others but I wouldn't call any of them comfy.
But, people will still buy'em!

How do you folks feel about this car market & choices that we live in today?
I'm sure many of us will agree to disagree! ;)

Last edited:
Car magazines have always been overly enthusiastic and well photographed.

Advancing years can dull the thrill offered by vehicles. Yes, and we're getting duller too (ha-ha)
Assessing and fending off (good luck with that) the junk toys installed on vehicles crushes joy.

Plus we all have the fear of buying a vehicle which, somehow, will be technologically marginalized and/or see evaporating support.
This is how I feel buying electronics. Hey wait! Cars are masses of electronics!

Enjoy the Venza...tread upon our roadways lightly.....don't get hit by a truck.

There's nothing out there I'm interested in either, especially when price is factored into the scenario. I bought my truck for $47500 but it'll be a cold day in Hades before I buy the same trim in the current model for $65K. Even ignoring price, it all looks boring.

Our family just got back from spring break in Destin,FL. I bought a 2005 Yukon just for this trip because a rental van was going to be over 2K for 8 days. Paid $3300 for the Yukon and it did great after I spent another $1000 to get it ready for the trip. It uses no oil and the calculated mileage on the highway was just over 18mpg. It has big comfy seats and a good ride that is mostly quiet. I agree that synopsis about new cars and I have no desire to even own one. Of course I have owned little noisy cars including my 65 VW beetle, but those are honest little cars that you can make into quiet cars and they contain no Nanny controls either. You drive and maintain them yourself.

The 2022 Honda Civic in your signature is probably a great move as far as a good value is concerned. I agree these new vehicles are boring and so expensive that it's hard to get excited about buying anything. Most of the vehicles all look the same in their own classes. We were looking at new Jeep Grand Cherokee's as well as the new Honda CRV Hybrid and just could not get excited enough to trade yet. Another thing that makes it confusing is do I buy an EV, hybrid, or ICE? What is resale going to be down the road? What will the price of gas be in 1,2,or 3 years. All of these external factors take the excitement out of buying a depreciating vehicle. I agree, there is just not a lot of excitement in buying a new vehicle right now plus the dealers are out of stock on the hot sellers which makes the price go up. You pay full MSRP and most dealers want another $1000 minimum or more for battery insurance, floor mats, and free car washes. I agree with you CharBaby there is not a lot of excitement out there for me either when I look at new vehicles. I would rather buy a 5 year old vehicle with 50,000 miles and save $$$$$ and have the same amount of excitement.

joekingcorvette, ;)
The 2022 Civic(purchases Nov '21) in my signature was the new replacement for the totaled 2015 Civic of my daughters in which the other guys insurance company gave my daughter enough money to get a brand new car. She loves it and it's her 3rd Honda. I only put the Civic in my signature 'cause I maintain it for her unless she has warranty issues...which has yet to happen. (y)

I agree. There is NOTHING on today's car market that interest me in the slightest. I don't want a rolling computer that is going to try and control my life or a Nanny-mobile or a rolling I-Pad. In top of that, none of today's vehicles have any sense of styling and many of them are just downright ugly with their huge grills or No-grills. And as it things weren't bad enough, thanks to the changes and increasing complications being made by the manufacturers every few months most of today's cars aren't maintainable; even by the stealerships. They are Money-Pits and nothing more.

I would rather have VWmaniaman's 65 Beetle than any vehicle being made today.

I agree. There is NOTHING on today's car market that interest me in the slightest. I don't want a rolling computer that is going to try and control my life or a Nanny-mobile or a rolling I-Pad. In top of that, none of today's vehicles have any sense of styling and many of them are just downright ugly with their huge grills or No-grills. And as it things weren't bad enough, thanks to the changes and increasing complications being made by the manufacturers every few months most of today's cars aren't maintainable; even by the stealerships. They are Money-Pits and nothing more.

I would rather have VWmaniaman's 65 Beetle than any vehicle being made today.

You need to wear hearing protection driving that on the freeway with the windows down on a hot day

Seriously I don't know anymore, but a car like the 2023 BMW M2 still evokes what I would consider "exciting." To hear that a new M3 cannot have a stick except for the base gives me pause.

Here's a funny one though. Back in 2006, I did 2 car events. One was BMW, one was Lexus.

At Lexus, they had a brand new BMW 330i automatic, I guess they wanted to show how lacking their own cars were lol

The line for the 330i was massive, I skipped it. Why? Because I glanced over at the LS430s. There was literally nobody waiting in line to drive them. So I did, and even went 2X. I said man this car drives like nothingness, it's like driving a mattress right out of one's bedroom and hitting the road. If I were stuck in traffic, this is the one. Flash forward to 2016, I bought one for $14k and it's my DD, I actually love it.

The other event was BMW--it was to basically autocross the new 2006 330i with zsp....all autos. That was very fun, and in the end, 3 people get in the car and do a hot lap with the instructor. That showed me holy moley these cars have capability. They replaced the tires every 50 miles as Bridgestone was a sponsor back then.

That's what car cos did in the mid 2000's because they wanted to generate enthusiasm. So to the OPs point, a lot of that is gone.

I'm perfectly content with my 2006 LS430 and 2007 335i coupe and it's ok they have 200 HP less than a modern Kia does today. :ROFLMAO:

Today they all look the same, ugly and boring...
I went to the auto show this year and was fairly uninspired. But what really had me shaking my head was VW. Every single one of their models looked the same, just different sizes. I'm came into their display area from back side and I literally would not be able to differentiate the vehicles (they were all facing the same direction and were arranged in a grid pattern). I'm sure you can say that to some degree about all makes... they all kind of have a signature "look" to them, but this was extreme relative to that IMO. I'm not trying to rile up the VW fans, I'm sure they're nice cars, but I, too, don't like the path we are on with cars and trucks.

I think we have some really cool choices in 2023. Many even with manual transmissions.

GR Corolla
GR 86/BRZ
GR Supra
Golf GTI/R
WRX
Civic SI
Civic Type R
Integra Type S
RS3
S3

The list goes on. Lots of sporty options in the sea of "blah" SUVs/CUVs and pickups.

I went to the auto show this year and was fairly uninspired. But what really had me shaking my head was VW. Every single one of their models looked the same, just different sizes. I'm came into their display area from back side and I literally would not be able to differentiate the vehicles (they were all facing the same direction and were arranged in a grid pattern). I'm sure you can say that to some degree about all makes... they all kind of have a signature "look" to them, but this was extreme relative to that IMO. I'm not trying to rile up the VW fans, I'm sure they're nice cars, but I, too, don't like the path we are on with cars and trucks.
Yeah I agree. Only an idiot would buy a VW these days.
Sorry @KCJeep

Yeah I agree. Only an idiot would buy a VW these days.
Sorry @KCJeep
Why is that? MK8 GTI/R are fantastic and they even took all the negative feedback about the hepatic controls and went back to buttons. ECUs are now cracked by the big tuners and and for those wanting it, owners can easily add 100+hp with software. Amazing platform.

Why is that? MK8 GTI/R are fantastic and they even took all the negative feedback about the hepatic controls and went back to buttons. ECUs are now cracked by the big tuners and and for those wanting it, owners can easily add 100+hp with software. Amazing platform.
VW is the new Nissan
I can't talk about it here. 😆

Back