Need input on oil for my new vehicle

2020 Honda passport
3.5l j series
Will follow olm down to about 20%
60/40 city/highway
No towing

I was thinking magnatec would be a good choice, also considering PP. M1 EP is the “fancy choice,” but not sure it is needed as I don’t think oci will go super long.

Any input is appreciated.

Castrol Mag and PP are perfect. Any name brand API certified synth right off Wally World's with a good filter and OCI is all you need. "Best" or "better" is subjective.

I know I sound like a broken record but 2 x 5 qt jugs of M1 EP at $48.74 (WalMart) - S24 Rebates is $24.74 for 10 quarts of M1 EP. It's hard to buy a quality synthetic for less.

Havoline 6 qt Box of DS Synthetic is $17.97 if you don't want to fool with rebates.

I believe NAPA Synthetic (Valvoline) is $3.39 a qt on sale right now.

Lots of options without breaking the bank.

Last edited:
I have an Accord with the same engine. I've always used oil with high moly (specifically Amsoil 0w20) and have had excellent results with UOA. Also, no oil burn with10k oil changes and I do not use a VCM muzzler (another topic which has a lot opinions). It seems a lot of Japanese brands like to use high moly oils in their engines and sell their branded oil with high moly, including Honda. Not sure what the moly count on the brands you mentioned but there are many off the shelf lubes with high moly.

Castrol is my favorite brand of oil also Royal Purple which is amazing oil too in my opinion and Valvoline and Pennzoil too but Castrol and Royal Purple and Valvoline have always kept my engines sludge free and given no issues. Also have heard excellent things about Amsoil and Liqui Moly brand oil too.

Recommended oil according to the owners manual is: Genuine engine oil 0W-20 or premium commercial grade oil.
Castrol or Pennzoil Platinum are good choices.

Attachments

• Honda_Rec Oil.JPG
    Honda_Rec Oil.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 19
I've ran various oil in my '16 Pilot (same engine) - Honda bulk, Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Amsoil, RGT - no difference I can notice. Simial UOA results, similar engine sounds etc. so, at the end of the day, oil is oil when it comes to Honda J35

I can't wait for the internet rumor that you have to run 0W-20 "Genuine Oil" in a Honda. No Synthetic or Blends must be only Genuine Oil. Can you imagine the panic as they search. 5W-20 won't do must be 0W-20.

Based on my experience with multiple Toyota's and Honda's, especially my '07 Civic with 362,000 miles on it, you really can't go wrong just going to Walmart etc and getting Pennzoil with the natural gas base oil. I just follow maker's recommendations: change it every 10,000 with my 2012 Camry, every 8,000 with my 2007 Civic and every 5000 with my girlfriend's 2005 Highlander. My cousin also uses it in his 1998 Audi. - BS Mechanical Engineering PS: I work for an integrally geared centrifugal compressor maker and we had the chemist in from the major oil producer that developed our oil and additives (we're talking 1,000 to 40,000 hp electric motor driven compressors) and at the end of his presentation I asked what he recommended for cars and he strongly recommended full synthetic.

2020 Honda passport
3.5l j series
Will follow olm down to about 20%
60/40 city/highway
No towing

I was thinking magnatec would be a good choice, also considering PP. M1 EP is the “fancy choice,” but not sure it is needed as I don’t think oci will go super long.

Any input is appreciated.

Where do I begin... Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Rotella Gas Truck, Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (I tried it, it's good), Castrol Edge & Edge EP, Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 (it's 70% PAO, a friend of mine who owns a Honda swears by it)... or one of the Warren Distribution flavors like Amazon Basics, Walmart Supertech or Kirkland. Did I leave anything out? I'm not into boutique or miracle oils or anything that doesn't at least carry some sort of approval as those oils are trouble and you never know what's you're getting exactly. My top pick is Mobil 1 EP 0W-20.

What ever oil that has the recommended specs and is from a major oil company will be fine.

Back