Naturally Aspirated (NA) V8 Engines

Forced induction won't last as long.
2.7L ecoboost F150:
Note: no engine problems, regular oil changes, the one and only failure was a recent water pump replacement. Not only will the turbocharged engines last, they may actually last longer due to quality engineering, compacted graphite iron blocks and very robust internals.
93f1a08e_b233_480f_954e_85e856f4e36b_c344cc622415deefe997632d94b04b7872b47a87.jpeg

Engine choice in a truck doesn't even matter. So few people are using trucks for "truck things" it's laughable. Any engine in any truck is going to get you back and forth from your desk job and maybe haul a sheet of plywood on the weekend.

Starbucks runs, picking the kids up from their Montessori school, grabbing gluten free bagels and vegan cream cheese on the way home. That's what a modern truck needs to do well.
fair enuff, although the wife would get pissy if i put bloody deer carcasses in the back of her wagon the way i do with my truck ...

fair enuff, although the wife would get pissy if i put bloody deer carcasses in the back of her wagon the way i do with my truck ...
Tie them to the roof! I've seen crazier around here. Saw an old Ford Taurus with one strapped to the trunk dripping blood all over the car. 😄

Tie them to the roof! I've seen crazier around here. Saw an old Ford Taurus with one strapped to the trunk dripping blood all over the car. 😄
where in VA? i used to hunt WV in Wardensville, seems like quite a few hunters on the VA side as well.

2.7L ecoboost F150:
Note: no engine problems, regular oil changes, the one and only failure was a recent water pump replacement. Not only will the turbocharged engines last, they may actually last longer due to quality engineering, compacted graphite iron blocks and very robust internals.
93f1a08e_b233_480f_954e_85e856f4e36b_c344cc622415deefe997632d94b04b7872b47a87.jpeg
But how old? Looks like a life of steady state cruising over a few years. Let's see them when they're 20yrs old. Here's my 99 GS400 that only sees 6mi/day since mid August. Today was the 1st time in 2 weeks it's gone over 45mph.

Attachments

• 20210426_192025.jpg
    20210426_192025.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 30
i daily drive a six point slow vortec 2500hd. it’s a work truck trim level, but i use it as a family truckster. never haul or tow heavy, just drive to the coffee shop, buy a fancy coffee, and drink it with my pinky sticking out.
:ROFLMAO: You'd fit right in here in Charlottesville! You are an aspiring writer that lives in Keswick (same as John Grisham don't you know!) while your wife works as an equine reiki healer and masseuse and you tell everyone "what a blessing it is" to have your kids enrolled at St. Anne's-Bellfield School for the low low cost of $25k (or is it $40k,I forget) per kid per year.

:ROFLMAO: You'd fit right in here in Charlottesville! You are an aspiring writer that lives in Keswick (same as John Grisham don't you know!) while your wife works as an equine reiki healer and masseuse and you tell everyone "what a blessing it is" to have your kids enrolled at St. Anne's-Bellfield School for the low low cost of $25k (or is it $40k,I forget) per kid per year.
i don't have enough time to write these days, I spend all my time polishing my tractor :ROFLMAO:

I've owned both. Drove a 5.7 hemi Ram for 5 years and currently drive a 3.5 ecoboost F150. General driving feel between both is relatively similar. Both are smooth powerful engines. To get power from the 5.7 it needs to downshift to get the RPM up, but it does move and tows very well. The 3.5 Eco doesn't need as much RPM to make serious power, but once on boost, it's power is awesome. It also tows very well.
The Ram averaged around 19mpg in the rural roads around here and around 15 in city driving. Towing my enclosed cargo trailer, that dropped to 12, regardless of speed up to about 70. Empty highway cruising below 75, the Ram managed a solid 20 mpg which is quite good for a V8 IMO.
The 3.5 Eco averages around 20 on the rural roads around here, about 18 in the city, and a solid 24 during highway cruising below 75. Towing the same trailer, mileage was 15, to slightly above that.

The Ram had the 4 corner air suspension which was really awesome. When loaded, or towing that system automatically added pressure to the rear to keep the suspension level, zero squat. Fit and finish was comparable between the two (same trim levels on both, Limited). Despite using a top quality motor oil, (and I'm not going to get into a which oil is better discussion), the 5.7 began to demonstrate the often discussed lifter tick at idle. In that vein I have heard 2020 MY Rams also ticking loudly at idle at fuel stations, so at least into 2020, that issue is still extant on some Rams. The German designed 8-speed on the Ram is a fabulous transmission.

The Ford/GM designed 10 speed in the F150 in my truck is also superb. Turbochargers on the 3.5 Eco are a consumable, which is something everyone contemplating purchasing a turbocharged vehicle ought to realize. I don't consider that a detriment, just a consideration. I'm not into loud trucks, so exhaust sound between the V8 and V6 is not an issue. The 3.5 is a DI motor, however Ford has equipped the engine with a dual injection system. DI is used for starting, but port injection is used for most normal driving. When additional power is called by way of the throttle, the direct injection takes over. This effectively eliminates valve and port clogging from baked oil mist from the PCV system which can be an issue on a strictly DI engine.

V8 or turbo V6, are both great trucks, and each has it's plusses and minuses. I'm completely satisfied driving and towing with the F150, and have been for the past 2 years.

I keep vehicles for a long time and prefer the simplicity and less possible future problems of a NA engine. I also prefer the sound of a V8. If I was buying a new or fairly new used truck, a V8 would be my only choice.

Nothing can beat the v8 raw sound . If you own a FULL SIZE PICK UP truck, it gotta be a v8 .

if you own a sport cars , it’s got to be a rear wheel drive with a American v8 , a super charger would be a plus too hahah

Because the phrase is "Could've had a V8" like that vegetable drink.
"Could've had a TTV6" what kinda drink would that be.

• Haha
Reactions: JTK
The V8 exhaust sounds nicer- but isnt a reason to buy for me.

It sounds great - until you want try to make some phone calls while towing through the high desert climbing hour long hills at near redline.

The ecoboost demeanor and NVH under high load edges out all the NA trucks (you can buy today- not a classic truck sporting a big block) because they have to spin faster to make the power and under load for sustained towing I prefer the Turbos lower cabin NVH

I think a lot of truck buyers simply equate big engine with "bruh" and small engine with "pansy," turbo or not. That's been a thing ever since trucks became more than simply workhorses.

Personally, I am a little wary of turbo engines simply because I see it as an expensive added component that could fail. Right now I have a vehicle with 251k miles and a vehicle with 222k miles. I have owned the one with 251k since it had 49k 13 years ago. Neither has a turbo. At work I sell turbos and turbo accessories daily, everything from 1.4 turbos to Duramax turbos. The only good turbo is one putting money IN my pocket. I know my input data on both sides is skewed, but personally I'm still unsure of turbo engines delivering low cost very long term reliability (not talking about trading in at 5 years/less than 100k). I want to get a newer truck with under 75k miles in the next year or two, and the current Ranger is in the running, but I'm leaning towards the cleanest '10-'11 2.3 Duratec auto I can find...apparently a lot of other people are too since they are still a hot item at Carvana and Carmax. Not that the newer turbo ones aren't selling too. If it has a pickup bed, somebody wants to pay too much for it right now, turbo or not.

Because the phrase is "Could've had a V8" like that vegetable drink.
"Could've had a TTV6" what kinda drink would that be.

I cant remember a single really great story, or moment in my life that ever started with the words - "I bought the V6 because......"

Back