NAPA European oil

Then why do you think SP came about in the US?
API SP is for the whole world.
European manufacturers have their own approval process. It was discussed here, like 63864862836 times.
In the beginning of 90's when European manufacturers started with downsizing to small turbo engines, especially diesel engines, API simply was not cutting. They founded ACEA which was the starting point for manufacturers approvals which were built using ACEA sequence as starting point.
API SP addresses some issues around LSPI and timing chain. But it is very generic. LSPI in Asian and American vehicles (European vehicles rarely have issues with that), besides poor engineering (which is root cause of LSPI), was further fueled by limits in zinc and phosphorous in ILSAC specifications (also been discussed numerous times).
European manufacturers haven't required or recommended API oils for a long time. If you see somewhere API, that is just to add oil in case there is some oil missing in the engine so you need to top off.

API SP is for the whole world.
European manufacturers have their own approval process. It was discussed here, like 63864862836 times.
In the beginning of 90's when European manufacturers started with downsizing to small turbo engines, especially diesel engines, API simply was not cutting. They founded ACEA which was the starting point for manufacturers approvals which were built using ACEA sequence as starting point.
API SP addresses some issues around LSPI and timing chain. But it is very generic. LSPI in Asian and American vehicles (European vehicles rarely have issues with that), besides poor engineering (which is root cause of LSPI), was further fueled by limits in zinc and phosphorous in ILSAC specifications (also been discussed numerous times).
European manufacturers haven't required or recommended API oils for a long time. If you see somewhere API, that is just to add oil in case there is some oil missing in the engine so you need to top off.
“API is for the Whole World.
European manufacturers have their own approval process”

Which means APi isn’t for the whole world….

“API is for the Whole World.
European manufacturers have their own approval process”

Which means APi isn’t for the whole world….
Yes, you can buy API pils in the whole world. Also, many oils approved for Euro specifications are API oils too.
We know you struggle with this, so it is ok.

SP is absolutely irrelevant for European vehicles.
But not for the American drivers whose cars recommend SP, but also want to benefit from the stricter Euro approvals.

It's obvious the inclusion of API in Euro oils is not meant for Euro cars. No need to get worked up on it.

But not for the American drivers whose cars recommend SP, but also want to benefit from the stricter Euro approvals.

It's obvious the inclusion of API in Euro oils is not meant for Euro cars. No need to get worked up on it.
Still no point if going for European approvals. MB, BMW, VW approvals are far, far more stringent in all aspects. If you going for MB229.52 for example, it is absolutely irrelevant if it is API SP.
Now, if warranty, you still have to then comply with Dexos etc.

Still no point if going for European approvals. MB, BMW, VW approvals are far, far more stringent in all aspects. If you going for MB229.52 for example, it is absolutely irrelevant if it is API SP.
Now, if warranty, you still have to then comply with Dexos etc.
That is correct, but to reiterate, the inclusion of SP is not to make Euro "better", but to allow it to be run in cars that require SP.

That is correct, but to reiterate, the inclusion of SP is not to make Euro "better", but to allow it to be run in cars that require SP.
Allow? How do you mean allow? All American vehicles now have their own approvals, so if warranty, you still must use Dexos etc. to keep it.
If going MB229.52 bcs. it is far more stringent approval, it is absolutely irrelevant if it is SP. Engine won't refuse to turn because you put Motul X-Clean 0W30 EFE, which is not SP, but it is MB229.52. And that is what matters. There is nothing SP has that would make that oil better.

To comply with warranty - If they recommend it, of course. Many Koreans just go by API & ILSAC.

I already agreed on that.
Koreans require ILSAC, so you are kind of stuck.
But would like to kniw how they gonna determine if you go C3 MB229.52 that you are not complying with warranty.
But, usually people go Euro stuff after warranty. That is why I am saying it is irrelevant.

Koreans require ILSAC, so you are kind of stuck
Here's the 2021 OM

1717020675691.jpg

If I were to own that car, I'd chose a Euro SP to comply under warranty.

how they gonna determine if you go C3 MB229.52 that you are not complying with warranty.

They wouldn't have to - it's the latest API. The Euro approvals are a nice extra to have.

Edy,

In your expert opinion. Why do manufacturers change their Euro oils formulations to comply with the latest API?
Honest Q.

As long as it's Euro, yes! :)
Who said they did? I use non API oil. If oil can meet API, you certify and sell to Korean crowd that that hopes that will save the day.
Premier Castrol product is SL, not SP.

M1 0W-40
Castrol Euro Car 5W-40

They said it. And they did.
Yes they did. However, Castrol 5W40 is not Castrol's premier product. It is 0W30.
Again, some are some are not. I would say those that are not are marketing decisions.
Also, take into consideration that additive packages are stremlined. It is also strictly a logistical issue. Motul X-Clean 0W30 EFE has same additive package as Mobil1 ESP 5W30 API SP, but Motul is not API SP. WHy? I think it is because: who cares.

Yes they did. However, Castrol 5W40 is not Castrol's premier product. It is 0W30.
Again, some are some are not. I would say those that are not are marketing decisions.
Also, take into consideration that additive packages are stremlined. It is also strictly a logistical issue. Motul X-Clean 0W30 EFE has same additive package as Mobil1 ESP 5W30 API SP, but Motul is not API SP. WHy? I think it is because: who cares.
Thank you.

Back