NAPA European oil

Yes, they are all good oils including the NAPA.. Castrol and Mobil may be more reputable brands but don't discount the NAPA brand. Quaker State and NAPA would be closer in comparison over Mobil and Castrol.
They wouldn’t. QS is GTL based and approved.
Listen, you are looking confirmation bias. Go buy NAPA, and end of story.

I agree w/you but be prepare to be flamed by the "Influencers" on this board. I made the same statement & some here had a meltdown. They said "I made a bold claim & It's not be the same" & I argued "Why would NAPA pay for a special blend". HA! It makes perfect sense that it's exactly the same product in the bottle with a different label but I've not done or seen a VOA to prove me wrong yet.

Amazon & other retailers can be convenient no doubt about it. My only local retail outlet for anything is the local Wally. The joys of living in a cowtown, Mizzura LOL. I don't know for sure but I think that the oil suppliers rent the space & set the sale price promotions. 🤷‍♂️

Napa full synthetic or semi synthetic oils are not quite the same as Valvoline full synthetic oils.

Valvoline makes other oils like Sunoco full synthetic motor oil and Sunoco synthetic blend oil too. I would bet Napa and that Sunoco full synthetic oils are the exact same. I have seen VOAs of Napa and Sunoco oils and they are identical in the additives that are in them.

VOAs have shown consistently that the treat rate for Valvoline vs Napa are clearly different.

A lot more molybdenum and boron in the Valvoline full synthetic oils and in either variety high mil full synthetic or regular full synthetic Dexos approved oils.

Look up the VOAs on here and PQIA and it is clear there are big differences in additives in Valvoline vs Napa.

Now whether the base oils are different or not may be another question. Could well be the same ? May well be the same. Maybe not..

Valvoline EP oils would likely be different because they appear to be GTLs. And I highly doubt oils made for Napa and Sunoco get the “ good” GTL base oils in them in high percentages.

Valvoline EP is 60-70 percent GTL.

m1 0w-40 is 5 bucks a quart from walmart delivered in a 12 qt box. i am sure the napa stuff is great, but it aint worth 50 cents a quart to get off my butt and go get it!!!

Reactions: hrv
Napa full synthetic or semi synthetic oils are not quite the same as Valvoline full synthetic oils.

Valvoline makes other oils like Sunoco full synthetic motor oil and Sunoco synthetic blend oil too. I would bet Napa and that Sunoco full synthetic oils are the exact same. I have seen VOAs of Napa and Sunoco oils and they are identical in the additives that are in them.

VOAs have shown consistently that the treat rate for Valvoline vs Napa are clearly different.

A lot more molybdenum and boron in the Valvoline full synthetic oils and in either variety high mil full synthetic or regular full synthetic Dexos approved oils.

Look up the VOAs on here and PQIA and it is clear there are big differences in additives in Valvoline vs Napa.

Now whether the base oils are different or not may be another question. Could well be the same ? May well be the same. Maybe not..

Valvoline EP oils would likely be different because they appear to be GTLs. And I highly doubt oils made for Napa and Sunoco get the “ good” GTL base oils in them in high percentages.

Still have not seen proof they are different. I'm only speaking of the 5w-40 Euro in both brands. I found @KCJeep VOA on Valvoline Euro 5w-40. However, I've not seen any Napa Euro 5w-40 VOA & there is no such report on PQIA either as you mentioned.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/valvoline-euro-5w40.338407/#post-5721548

I thought it was just the EP HM that was GTL? Although that doesn’t really make sense that there would be such a big difference between EP and EP HM.

Still have not seen proof they are different. I'm only speaking of the 5w-40 Euro in both brands. I found @KCJeep VOA on Valvoline Euro 5w-40. However, I've not seen any Napa Euro 5w-40 VOA & there is no such report on PQIA either as you mentioned.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/valvoline-euro-5w40.338407/#post-5721548

In the past the add packs were very close but if you looked carefully you could detect indications the base oils were superior in the Valvoline. But I haven’t compared them in a long time.

Valvoline would certainly want us to believe that they are different. Would love to see a lab analysis.

Yes. However, they are approved and better oils.
Or they have paid for the approval?

If any oil meets the BMW Longlife oil specs it’s already a fairly decent oil.

And since Longlife specs are intended to allow BMW to specify 20k mile or 2 year Service Intervals in Europe I would suggest any oil that meets them is a great choice for somebody in the USA who has a preference to running far shorter OCI

Castrol Edge 5W30 A3 $26
Castrol Edge 5W40 $26
Mobil1 0W40 $29
Mobil1 5W40 $29
Quaker State 5W40 $26
Which one of those meet the BMW LL-01 specs?

I use Shell Helix HX8 5w40 in the Smart and 7 Series.

Would have to order Castrol 5w40 meeting LL04 online.

But then the Castrol Edge 5w40 that meets LL04 doesn’t meet RN0700/0710

I have used Castrol Edge 5w30 for years as Costco stock it.

But they don’t stock any 5w40 oils in my local Costco anyway

Or they have paid for the approval?

If any oil meets the BMW Longlife oil specs it’s already a fairly decent oil.

And since Longlife specs are intended to allow BMW to specify 20k mile or 2 year Service Intervals in Europe I would suggest any oil that meets them is a great choice for somebody in the USA who has a preference to running far shorter OCI
Are you saying it doesn’t have to have the approval, only say it meets the requirements?

I thought it was just the EP HM that was GTL? Although that doesn’t really make sense that there would be such a big difference between EP and EP HM.
Screenshot_20240424_102659_Chrome.jpg

Which one of those meet the BMW LL-01 specs?

I use Shell Helix HX8 5w40 in the Smart and 7 Series.

Would have to order Castrol 5w40 meeting LL04 online.

But then the Castrol Edge 5w40 that meets LL04 doesn’t meet RN0700/0710

I have used Castrol Edge 5w30 for years as Costco stock it.

But they don’t stock any 5w40 oils in my local Costco anyway
All.

Are you saying it doesn’t have to have the approval, only say it meets the requirements?
If it says it meets LL04 then it meets LL04, they don’t need permission from BMW to say it meets LL04 and put LL04 on the oil specs.

There are sometimes OEM recommendations for a particular oil and some Manufacturers sell other manufacturers oil in their own branded containers, Mercedes and BMW for example.

But not all Mercedes Dealers (or Mercedes Approved Service Centres) use the Mercedes oil, I used one that used Mobil, and it was only Mobil Super, not even Mobil 1, but it met the MB Specs.

SP is absolutely irrelevant for European vehicles.
There are SP Euro oils that aren't for x-amount of European Vehicles.
This Board Room is titled / named for European / Imported Oils, not European / Imported vehicles.

You are heavy into European vehicles and SL/ SN Euro Oils. That's fine & dandy. But Ford, Stellantis, GM and the large Asian Passenger vehicle ownership Group are seeing the age of used vehicles rise. What's also rising is consumption and now owners are seeing more thickies like 0/5w40 arrive in SP Standards.

Their 0w20s - 0w30s - 5w20s - 5w30s - 10w30s are mostly-all SP now. So why not the 0w40s and 5w40s too. Some owners with consumption issues are blending the thicker SP oils with the thinner SP oils and at least trying to find some acceptance to things like Carbon Neutral.

Help saving the Planet is not irrelevant. Well maybe it is on the other side of the Pond.

This Board Room is titled / named for European / Imported Oils, not European / Imported vehicles.

You are heavy into European vehicles and SL/ SN Euro Oils. That's fine & dandy. But Ford, Stellantis, GM and the large Asian Passenger vehicle ownership Group are seeing the age of used vehicles rise. What's also rising is consumption and now owners are seeing more thickies like 0/5w40 arrive in SP Standards.

Their 0w20s - 0w30s - 5w20s - 5w30s - 10w30s are mostly-all SP now. So why not the 0w40s and 5w40s too. Some owners with consumption issues are blending the thicker SP oils with the thinner SP oils and at least trying to find some acceptance to things like Carbon Neutral.

Help saving the Planet is not irrelevant. Well maybe it is on the other side of the Pond.
What about SP with resources conserving vs non resource conserving? I'm curious if dealers/car makers care about that part as long as you use API SP if they ask for SP.

The reason I ask is my manual says "API SP with resources conserving".

What are you talking about? I specifically said that in case of Euro engines it is irrelevant.
That being said, ZDDP rich oil like Edge 0W30 SL is better to mitigate LSPI, if that is your aim in API SP.
We discussed numerous times that topic.
Please tell me ypu are not serious about carbon neutral stuff?

Last edited:
Back