Valvoline Euro 5w40

I like the Euro 5w40s and I'm interested in the Valvoline Euro 5w40, but I can't find much on it. Basically I'm looking for a PCMO Euro 40 grade that has a calcium/magnesium add pack and a decent slug of moly for the chains. Looking at some of the other Valvoline products I'm thinking the Valvoline Euro might be the ticket but I can't find an actual VOA/UOA on the Euro to confirm, just the mid saps MST which is different and since discontinued anyway.

Anybody have information on this oil I'm missing? Thoughts or experiences appreciated. It ran well in my Kia van before I sold it ( thereby missing my chance to UOA) but everything ran well in that engine lol.

I'm not familiar with the specs on Valvoline 5w 40 Euro, but the local Advance Auto carries it, and also carries Fram (formerly CarQuest) 5w 40 Euro oil as well, which has the Dexos 2 rating. I'm curious as to which GM vehicles that the Dexos 2 5w 40 oil is specifically recommended, and also as to individuals using 5w 40 Euro oils in vehicles of other than European manufacture.

I like the Euro 5w40s and I'm interested in the Valvoline Euro 5w40, but I can't find much on it. Basically I'm looking for a PCMO Euro 40 grade that has a calcium/magnesium add pack and a decent slug of moly for the chains. Looking at some of the other Valvoline products I'm thinking the Valvoline Euro might be the ticket but I can't find an actual VOA/UOA on the Euro to confirm, just the mid saps MST which is different and since discontinued anyway.

Anybody have information on this oil I'm missing? Thoughts or experiences appreciated. It ran well in my Kia van before I sold it ( thereby missing my chance to UOA) but everything ran well in that engine lol.
Pennzoil Platinum Euro is also LL01 as Valvoline is. Updated LL01 (2018) has specific N20 engine test to address chain guides and chain wear. Also, PP Euro is SP. API SP also has specific timing chain test.

Thanks edy, when I had looked at Pennzoil Euro before they were all the very high calcium formulations. Good to know LL-01 has a chain test I wasn't aware of that. If Pennzoil is SP I'm guessing they have moved away from the heavy calcium also.

I can get the Valvoline Euro at an excellent price from Wally's if I order it (jugs). They have quarts on hand though.

I am still intrigued by this oil and can find little hard information on it. I just bought a quart to send in for a VOA, I've never done a VOA before just UOAs.

That's certainly what provoked my interest, but I'm curious to the add pack used, say versus Castrol's and of course Valvoline won't tell me. Can't find a VOA or UOA anywhere either. No worries my VOA sample is going out in the morning.

I'm hoping for a CA/MG detergent pack, modest ZDDP for a 40 grade and a slug of moly for good measure. That's the approach Valvoline has currently taken on many of their other lubes. If it's just another high calcium Euro offering I'll probably stick with Castrol.

I don't think Valvoline has decent slug of moly. I recall 80 From somewhere. maybe it was M1 Euro (FS?) 0W40 which has 80. Castrol Euro 0W40 has 0 iirc.

To get into "decent slug" territory, you will need Amsoil, Red Line or QS for lower prices.

BUT...

Is more moly better?

Ive read on this forum that many oils use a more advanced form of molybdenum called Tri Nuclear moly, which doesn’t require much in order to be very effective.

So, does it make sense to choose an oil that supposedly has a big “slug of moly” when you may not know what form of moly the blenders are using?

FAIK there may be a thread on the forum where someone has listed which oil companies use the Tri Nuclear variety of moly.

If I remember correctly, Mobil uses the Tri Nuclear Moly.

Yes I had read all of Mobil's offerings were tri nuclear moly. Looking at UOA/VOA's I'd guess Shell is using it some as well, many of their higher tier offerings have similar ppm moly as Mobil does, probably not a coincidence.

I don't run conventionals any more, but used to use a lot of PYB and it had about 249 ppm of moly, certainly not tri nuclear.

As for the Valvoline, I don't have my VOA back yet, but I was hoping for around 100 ppm which is what they seem to be using in other offerings like Maxlife. Not looking for enough moly to choke a chicken, but some would be nice. Both my primary vehicles I service are V6's with chains, moly is supposed to be good for those.

Castrol I think uses a little moly in Magnatec but in Edge they use Ti which is an alternative. I am not unhappy with that, but if I can get moly with a combo calcium/magnesium add pack it could be a better choice for my GDI's.

All this is splitting hairs I know I imagine any of the them would work fine, but that's the fun of BITOG and being an oil nerd. 😆

Well the VOA is in. I'm disappointed, not that it isn't great oil, just not the add pack I was hoping for. Thus the reason for doing VOA's!

Attachments

• Valvoline5w40.pdf
    127.3 KB · Views: 917
Reactions: a5m
Don't try to be clever. I'm sure it's great oil and I said that. I made it clear I am not looking for just another calcium loaded Euro oil, which is what this turns out to be.

Back