N55 2015 oil advise needed 😅

2014 BMW 335i N55 - BM3 Stage 2 Race Gas tune. Catless downpipe (FBO). I drive it hard. Regularly sees 250F oil temp.
Redline 5w40 (tons of zinc and phosphorus, not good for catalytic convertors) ester based. Change it every 3500-4000mi. I have changed the oil 3 times since I purchased the car. With the Redline, it quieted down and the varnish color that I could see in the oil fill hole has completely cleaned up. Redline has a TON of detergents and friction protection. But NOT for those with catalytic convertors.

Yes it expensive. Yes you have to order it. Pretty sure most of us who know anything about oil have significant supplies on hand anyway.

My point is, to elaborate on others, even this oil is LL01 certified. It matters.

2014 BMW 335i N55 - BM3 Stage 2 Race Gas tune. Catless downpipe (FBO). I drive it hard. Regularly sees 250F oil temp.
Redline 5w40 (tons of zinc and phosphorus, not good for catalytic convertors) ester based. Change it every 3500-4000mi. I have changed the oil 3 times since I purchased the car. With the Redline, it quieted down and the varnish color that I could see in the oil fill hole has completely cleaned up. Redline has a TON of detergents and friction protection. But NOT for those with catalytic convertors.

Yes it expensive. Yes you have to order it. Pretty sure most of us who know anything about oil have significant supplies on hand anyway.

My point is, to elaborate on others, even this oil is LL01 certified. It matters.
The “good” Red Line oil does not have Longlife-01 approval. Which one are you talking about?

Re

Redline Performance is not approved. It cannot be approved bcs. it is bottom line race oil. For your application it makes sense but for daily driver it doesn’t. I would keep that OCI as that thing oxidizes a lot.

1623125112030.jpg

Yep. We know that. It says recommended, not approved. BIG difference.
Redline Performance would never be able to pass current (nor past)oxidation requirement set by BMW. Also, due to HTHS probably would fail fuel efficiency test too.
But, Redline doesn’t care about that. Their oil is not designed for approvals. Race/track oils are designed for short OCI, maximum protection at high temperatures. They are really not good choice for people not seeing track.

1623125646618.png

Detergent additives - Based on Blackstone Labs VOA Testing.

Last edited:
ok, recommended, not certified. my bad. I get it it.
Will still run it all day long and twice on Sunday. :cool:

To clarify, as pointed out by others. It is RECOMMENDED or SUITABLE for LL-01. NOT Approved.
Use at your own risk. I find it SUITABLE for my application. Not for all.

Re

Redline Performance is not approved. It cannot be approved bcs. it is bottom line race oil. For your application it makes sense but for daily driver it doesn’t. I would keep that OCI as that thing oxidizes a lot.

It (N55 - especially tuned) does seem hard on oil. Higher temps than my 2003 Audi RS6. That along with the ester base, is why I change it more often. I drive it hard and know this is a requirement for my application.

It (N55 - especially tuned) does seem hard on oil. Higher temps than my 2003 Audi RS6. That along with the ester base, is why I change it more often. I drive it hard and know this is a requirement for my application.
N55 is hard on oil, and runs hot (as most BMW engines do).
Reason why you should change more often is Ester base. There is a lot, and Esters do oxidize more. If you do UOA, get TAN measurement too.

Back