N55 2015 oil advise needed šŸ˜…

No, why going diesel route? I mean I seriously donā€™t understand this. BMW LL01 oil is same price in Wal Mart as any other synthetic oil for letā€™s say my Toyota. So, why reinventing the wheel? MB229.5 oils (which also could be used) are also available for $22 for 5qt. Quaker State Euro goes for $18 for 5qt.
So, I seriously have a hard time with argument: use incorrect oil although it is same price as correct oil.
I mean if you can find a LL01 oil go for it, use a euro blend. If you cant find it or is far away like me, I just would use whatever.

I mean if you can find a LL01 oil go for it, use a euro blend. If you cant find it or is far away like me, I just would use whatever.
Or you could order then from Walmart or another online retailer shipped to your house.

This thread has gotten ridiculous. The N55 has high oil temperatures. Mine sees 250F oil temperatures in the sump with just routine driving on the highway. Thatā€™s a lot of thermal stress. Other NA bmw engines might be different, thatā€™s fine, but the N55 makes a lot more power, has a turbo, and runs hotter. Thus a more stout oil with higher oxidation and breakdown resistance, as well as higher film strength and ht/hs is prudent for this engine. An ACEA A3 oils a smart choice for this engine, be it a 30 or 40wt. Mobil 1 0w-40 is a good choice. Iā€™m running pennzoil platinum euro 5w-40 and do think this has some effect on oil temps being higher.

This thread has gotten ridiculous. The N55 has high oil temperatures. Mine sees 250F oil temperatures in the sump with just routine driving on the highway. Thatā€™s a lot of thermal stress. Other NA bmw engines might be different, thatā€™s fine, but the N55 makes a lot more power, has a turbo, and runs hotter. Thus a more stout oil with higher oxidation and breakdown resistance, as well as higher film strength and ht/hs is prudent for this engine. An ACEA A3 oils a smart choice for this engine, be it a 30 or 40wt. Mobil 1 0w-40 is a good choice. Iā€™m running pennzoil platinum euro 5w-40 and do think this has some effect on oil temps being higher.
N51/52 are running super hot too, in similar manner to N55. DME runs cooling system in the same 4 programs. Normal temperature for N52 is around 240f.

Euro oils are everywhere. You can get it in any Wal mart, auto parts store, online etc.
Yes, if one needs urgently oil bcs. engine is 2qt down somewhere in the middle of nowhere at gas station, anything will do. I for sure never seen Mobil1 5W30 EP I use in Toyota on gas stations. So, availability of Euro oils is on par other really good synthetics. No need going diesel option.

Euro oils are everywhere. You can get it in any Wal mart, auto parts store, online etc.
Yes, if one needs urgently oil bcs. engine is 2qt down somewhere in the middle of nowhere at gas station, anything will do. I for sure never seen Mobil1 5W30 EP I use in Toyota on gas stations. So, availability of Euro oils is on par other really good synthetics. No need going diesel option.
Well none of the major auto parts store carry 5w40 or 0w40, its always scarce where I live for some reason, so ordering online is the next option.
Not even walmart lol

Based off of his sig, it seems that he uses diesel oil in all of his cars.

Even 20w50 in a 2020 Toyota Camry!
Yep, 15w40 in my 2.0, now that there is no 2.5 because it got totaled ): , that also got 15w40 diesel oil.
The camry gets gasoline 20w50 motor oil.
the Honda odyssey gets 5w20 castrol gtx.

You stated Supertech oil.
Pennzoil Euro LX is different thing and we are not debating that. and then made that into ā€œprove me wrong.
Pennzoil Euro LX is debated here numerous times, recommended for BMW and you can easily find it. It can do easily 5K in N55 bcs. it carries numerous stringent approvals.
Now, you are moving this into: well this oil.
Simple:
Supertech? No.
Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX? Yes with 5k interval due to lower TBN.
No pennzoil 0w-30 only comes in the platinum euro lx and no it isn't recommended by BMW either like you say, has no BMW approvals for it but like i also say its a good oil and it should be continued to use, just not at the long life inervals. Euro lx was discontinued by Pennzoil then renamed as Quaker state euro Lx 0w-30 but have the same exact certifications which also lack BMW's

And no i did not recommend to use supertech. i recommended to use the Pennzoil platinum 0w-30 for longer than 3k miles or 5k kilometers and half year intervals in his n55 first instead. I said if the wanted to keep shorter intervals he could switch to a cheaper full syn oil as long as it also is the same grade. But also never recommend a switch to it first, nor did i recommend a different viscosity, or to maintain anywhere near the same intervals as the proper long life rated oil, rather shorter ones. And just like I said in my early response I wouldn't recommend using supertech, rather to continue to use the Pennzoil 0w-30 for more than 3k miles first. I didn't say to switch first thing. And i don't use supertech like i also stated before. I use an LL-01 rated oil unlike that 0w-40 i see..

So i take it you're using against using an oil that isn't for a vehicle yet the Pennzoil 0w-30 technically isn't the right oil for the vehicle either, has no BMW ratings at all just like supertech. You use non BMW rated castrol edge 0w-40 yet that non BMW rated oil is something that can be used in the car. wouldn't BMW disagree with?

Your statement "You recommended something that should never be used in this car" is funny. You say it yourself that "There are numerous other variables (which we discussed here numerous times) that are part of the approval. Oxidation, deposits, evaporation, shear stability, stay in grade requirements etc. I agree that many parts of approval variables are designed to bump OCI. But there is much more to it" and you're right.

Castrol edge 0w-40 is not BMW certified for Oxidation, deposits, evaporation, shear stability, stay in grade requirements ect anymore. It may have been before but if not anymore than it's no longer suitable. It doesn't belong in there either by your standards... But then again we can run whatever we want in our engine. But I'd switch to Quaker state euro 5w-40 if you haven't already ;)

Well none of the major auto parts store carry 5w40 or 0w40, its always scarce where I live for some reason, so ordering online is the next option.
Not even walmart lol
that's odd. I've seen stp, fram and carquest euro 5w-40's at auto parts stores and they arent overpriced. around $23. And walmart lets you order. i also saw valvoline euro 5w-40 on amazon for around $22 which isn't terrible.

No pennzoil 0w-30 only comes in the platinum euro lx and no it isn't recommended by BMW either like you say, has no BMW approvals for it but like i also say its a good oil and it should be continued to use, just not at the long life inervals. Euro lx was discontinued by Pennzoil then renamed as Quaker state euro Lx 0w-30 but have the same exact certifications which also lack BMW's

And no i did not recommend to use supertech. i recommended to use the Pennzoil platinum 0w-30 for longer than 3k miles or 5k kilometers and half year intervals in his n55 first instead. I said if the wanted to keep shorter intervals he could switch to a cheaper full syn oil as long as it also is the same grade. But also never recommend a switch to it first, nor did i recommend a different viscosity, or to maintain anywhere near the same intervals as the proper long life rated oil, rather shorter ones. And just like I said in my early response I wouldn't recommend using supertech, rather to continue to use the Pennzoil 0w-30 for more than 3k miles first. I didn't say to switch first thing. And i don't use supertech like i also stated before. I use an LL-01 rated oil unlike that 0w-40 i see..

So i take it you're using against using an oil that isn't for a vehicle yet the Pennzoil 0w-30 technically isn't the right oil for the vehicle either, has no BMW ratings at all just like supertech. You use non BMW rated castrol edge 0w-40 yet that non BMW rated oil is something that can be used in the car. wouldn't BMW disagree with?

Your statement "You recommended something that should never be used in this car" is funny. You say it yourself that "There are numerous other variables (which we discussed here numerous times) that are part of the approval. Oxidation, deposits, evaporation, shear stability, stay in grade requirements etc. I agree that many parts of approval variables are designed to bump OCI. But there is much more to it" and you're right.

Castrol edge 0w-40 is not BMW certified for Oxidation, deposits, evaporation, shear stability, stay in grade requirements ect anymore. It may have been before but if not anymore than it's no longer suitable. It doesn't belong in there either by your standards... But then again we can run whatever we want in our engine. But I'd switch to Quaker state euro 5w-40 if you haven't already ;)
BMW updated ll01. They added N20 test.

This topic is hard for you to grasp. You obviously have no idea about approvals and what each means. You will just have to come to those terms. It is ok, not everyone can.
To understand something it requires to be curious. You are not, and why is that is really irrelevant. We had before people like you who think they know something just bcs. they feel they are entitled.

This topic is hard for you to grasp. You obviously have no idea about approvals and what each means. You will just have to come to those terms. It is ok, not everyone can.
To understand something it requires to be curious. You are not, and why is that is really irrelevant. We had before people like you who think they know something just bcs. they feel they are entitled.
i respect your commitment to not be proven wrong but you will have to come to terms. it's okay everyone has victories and losses like the both of us. We've also had people like you who believe they're entitled to being correct to anything they say but wont give reasons and elude.

You recommended SuperTech on a 10k-12k OCI (Post #12)

"But if you run lets say supertech 5w-30 you wont have an issue as long as you don't go to that very long oci. id change it every year or 10-12k kilometers"

You recommended SuperTech on a 10k-12k OCI (Post #12)

"But if you run lets say supertech 5w-30 you wont have an issue as long as you don't go to that very long oci. id change it every year or 10-12k kilometers"
10-12k Kilometers. which translates to around 6-7ish thousand miles. but that he should keep using pennzoil platinum for longer than 3k miles or 5k kilometers or a half year. Ford and gm both advise near those intervals in their new turbo gdi engines but with ford syn blend and a dexos approved oil which can be a syn blend too. As long as the oil technically meets the certification it can do whatever the manufacturer says it can in time, distance or olm first invltervals. If the bmw has the LL oil no matter what brand it can do the intervals without voiding the warranty as you're following what they recommend. If it's not long life then no but people think that a long life oil is magic and that it will automatically last twice as long as a regular synthetic. I wouldn't do 10k miles or 16k kilometers in an n55 with supertech. I'd do that with LL oil as I do a lot of highway commutes and rack up miles and always average my mpg at highway ratings. A daily driver can do 10k kilometers or 6k miles in more city driving. Bit more on highway driving.

I used to find it crazy that a turbo gdi ford can do 5k miles or a bit over 10k on just crap syn blend and below fram orange can filters but they can do it. Supertech isn't great that's why I dont use it and also stated to the thread starter that he keep using his pennzoil platinum euro lx 0w-30. I use a euro 5w-40 and go over 10k miles but supertech syn isn't the worst one can put in a turbo gdi engine for around those kilometer intervals I can assure you that. American brands do worse.

Just to clarify here several things bcs. obviously it seems it needs to be:
1. Last time I checked Ford is not GM, and Ford and GM is not BMW. Just to be clear. To compare N55 (which is out of production, but still technologically ahead of any Ecoboost engine in current production) with other engines just bcs. they are DI engines is like comparing wine from your backyard with wine from Turin area in Italy.
2. Supertech doesnā€™t carry ANY BMW approval.
3. Your focus on OCI proves that this is really higher mathematics for you. OCI is just ONE of variables. There are numerous others.
4. Front page of BITOG has interesting read on oil basics. Maybe you should read it.

Back