N55 2015 oil advise needed 😅

Hi All,

my name is Shawn and this is my second post. Lol I posted my first post in the non euro section on here 😅

ive read through countless threads and am just confused .

so I have a 2015 n55 motor which I’ve always been using dealer motor oil which is bmw 0w30.
However it’s a long drive to the dealer and I just wanted to go after market.

now I know Pennzoil is the official motor oilfor BMW so I was thinking of running Pennzoil euro spec 0w30 however two issues , the oil is NOT LL-01 nor is it ACEA A5/B5 it’s actually ACEA c2/c3

my oil changes have always been 6 months or 5 thousand kilometers.
So do I have a legitimate concern or am I over thinking it and I should use the Pennzoil 0w30

thank you again :)

Please don't post duplicate threads in multiple forums. If you believe you posted in the wrong forum, report your post to a mod and he will move it to the correct forum.

Thanks.
Your completely right it’s my first time on this site and I’ll make sure it does not happen. Again !

I’ve been using Castrol Edge 0w-40. It lost its LL-01 certification, but was recommended for a long time. It still has Mercedes 229.5, which is fine for me. I do have my next change of liqui moly ready though. Lots of good options. If you can’t find anything with ll-01, look for the Mercedes or Porsche a40.

If all you need is LL-01 there are plenty of options available even at Walmart. LL-01FE will likely be an internet order or dealer trip.

yeah you're overthinking it. i couldn't imagine wasting the money and effort on getting and paying for a higher end oil only to take it to 6 months or 5k kilometers or about 3k miles.

You don't really have to have a BMW ll-01 rating at all. That long life rating just ensures that you can take it to the overly long oci without the dealer voiding your warranty. but yours being a 2015 it's already out of warranty. But if you run lets say supertech 5w-30 you wont have an issue as long as you don't go to that very long oci. id change it every year or 10-12k kilometers. i used to take it to 10k miles, not kilometers in my truck with no issue. if you were under warranty i doubt the dealer would void the warranty if you went on shorter oci's with a non long life 5w-30 and kept receipts. if you tried to go the same long oci with a non long life rated oil then yes they will void it. if its outside of warranty who cares.

yeah you're overthinking it. i couldn't imagine wasting the money and effort on getting and paying for a higher end oil only to take it to 6 months or 5k kilometers or about 3k miles.

You don't really have to have a BMW ll-01 rating at all. That long life rating just ensures that you can take it to the overly long oci without the dealer voiding your warranty. but yours being a 2015 it's already out of warranty. But if you run lets say supertech 5w-30 you wont have an issue as long as you don't go to that very long oci. id change it every year or 10-12k kilometers. i used to take it to 10k miles, not kilometers in my truck with no issue. if you were under warranty i doubt the dealer would void the warranty if you went on shorter oci's with a non long life 5w-30 and kept receipts. if you tried to go the same long oci with a non long life rated oil then yes they will void it. if its outside of warranty who cares.
Expert we were waiting for.
Those new members having BMW, disregard this post.

Expert we were waiting for.
Those new members having BMW, disregard this post.
And about bmw members disregarding my post it appears the bmw pfp mrlawnguy thinks my statement is funny. Would appreciate if he'd chime in because I see no humor. A turbo 6 cyl that's most likely a daily driver can do around 6-7k miles or 10-12k kilometers and be alright on a non bmw rated synthetic oil. His bmw should have the revised 10k mile interval not the tard 15k mile from a few years prior. A long life oil with a 10k mile rating or 16k kilometers translates to 6-7k miles or around 10-12 on a standard full synthetic until both are used up. But even then I wouldn't recommend supertech syn. I'd just ecommend he go to around 7-8k on that 0w-30 instead. Didn't say the oil was bad and a waste of money or that supertech oil rules over others just that it wasn't being used enough unless he's fine with over maintaining a vehicle that may not make it long enough elsewhere until the engine wears inside.

And about bmw members disregarding my post it appears the bmw pfp mrlawnguy thinks my statement is funny. Would appreciate if he'd chime in because I see no humor. A turbo 6 cyl that's most likely a daily driver can do around 6-7k miles or 10-12k kilometers and be alright on a non bmw rated synthetic oil. His bmw should have the revised 10k mile interval not the tard 15k mile from a few years prior. A long life oil with a 10k mile rating or 16k kilometers translates to 6-7k miles or around 10-12 on a standard full synthetic until both are used up. But even then I wouldn't recommend supertech syn. I'd just ecommend he go to around 7-8k on that 0w-30 instead. Didn't say the oil was bad and a waste of money or that supertech oil rules over others just that it wasn't being used enough unless he's fine with over maintaining a vehicle that may not make it long enough elsewhere until the engine wears inside.
Your statement is between funny and sad.
But this response might actually top it. That is only dilemma.

N52 valvetrain using off the shelf synthetic oil. OCI every 5k. Mind you, this is the least of an issue on this engine. Sludge starved engine of oil.
FB8D6DB6-B4D6-4C83-B45B-142C4492E55C.jpeg

N52 valvetrain using off the shelf synthetic oil. OCI every 5k. Mind you, this is the least of an issue on this engine. Sludge starved engine of oil.
View attachment 59351
That definitely wasn't changed every 5,000 miles with any kind of synthetic oil.

JavierH19 is right, you really don't need any magic LL-01 oil, the spec is there for long drain intervals that the oil will still hold up and provide proper protection per the maintenance monitor. I did a valve cover gasket on a neighbor's M54 (2005 330xi) with 100k miles, and it had Valvoline conventional 5w30 from the local quick lube every 5-6k miles. The engine was spotless inside. Now if someone is going longer on OCI's or tracking the car/driving very spiritedly, it is advisable to find a Euro spec oil like LL-01 or A40.

That definitely wasn't changed every 5,000 miles with any kind of synthetic oil.

JavierH19 is right, you really don't need any magic LL-01 oil, the spec is there for long drain intervals that the oil will still hold up and provide proper protection per the maintenance monitor. I did a valve cover gasket on a neighbor's M54 (2005 330xi) with 100k miles, and it had Valvoline conventional 5w30 from the local quick lube every 5-6k miles. The engine was spotless inside. Now if someone is going longer on OCI's or tracking the car/driving very spiritedly, it is advisable to find a Euro spec oil like LL-01 or A40.
This particular N52 had oil changes every 5k. Whether something else contributed to this (faulty cooling system etc.) is possible.
However, the question is whether this would happen with LL01? I disagree that LL01 is some kind of magical oil. There are numerous other variables (which we discussed here numerous times) that are part of the approval. Oxidation, deposits, evaporation, shear stability, stay in grade requirements etc. I agree that many parts of approval variables are designed to bump OCI. But there is much more to it. Just ask owners of VW 1.8T engines from 20 years ago.

Back