N55 2015 oil advise needed šŸ˜…

Ooh. This thread got spicy.

OP, I would recommend an LL01 certified oil, or Castrol Edge 0w40. Your engine requires a robust oil, LL01 and MB229.5 certified oils oils were designed for similar applications. I would personally avoid LL01FE.

The LL01 certification plays much more of a purpose than just extending drain intervals. To claim otherwise shows a lack of understanding on the subject.

N52 valvetrain using off the shelf synthetic oil. OCI every 5k. Mind you, this is the least of an issue on this engine. Sludge starved engine of oil.
View attachment 59351
That looks like 10,000 miles to 11,000 miles, with an off the shelf synthetic shouldn't sludge like that unless its some weird unlabeled stuff. If this is really 5k, might aswell use a diesel oil.

That definitely wasn't changed every 5,000 miles with any kind of synthetic oil.

JavierH19 is right, you really don't need any magic LL-01 oil, the spec is there for long drain intervals that the oil will still hold up and provide proper protection per the maintenance monitor. I did a valve cover gasket on a neighbor's M54 (2005 330xi) with 100k miles, and it had Valvoline conventional 5w30 from the local quick lube every 5-6k miles. The engine was spotless inside. Now if someone is going longer on OCI's or tracking the car/driving very spiritedly, it is advisable to find a Euro spec oil like LL-01 or A40.
I have never seen an engine with 100k miles on conventional oil be "spotless" inside, at the very least there is varnish.

N52 valvetrain using off the shelf synthetic oil. OCI every 5k. Mind you, this is the least of an issue on this engine. Sludge starved engine of oil.
View attachment 59351
5k miles with a lower tier synthetic in a naturally aspirated port injected 6 cyl shouldnt do that. Any engine running hours or actual length of time the oil spent in the engine. What synthetic was used if applicable? I could believe this more in a twin turbo Di bmw that was city driven with long idles and near 250 engine running hours during the oci. has it always had 5k oil changes since new?

5k miles with a lower tier synthetic in a naturally aspirated port injected 6 cyl shouldnt do that. Any engine running hours or actual length of time the oil spent in the engine. What synthetic was used if applicable? I could believe this more in a twin turbo Di bmw that was city driven with long idles and near 250 engine running hours during the oci. has it always had 5k oil changes since new?
Should not do that? BMW disagrees with you. I guess having the toughest oxidation requirements in the industry might indicate that they know how their engines do under various exploitation requirements.
This is really not that complicated. They make the engine, they tested it, they said what to use, but I guess they forgot to ask "Supertech" crowd.
Every now and then we have here someone arguing how "Supertech" will do. So, don't be surprised by people's reactions. It gets tiring.

And about bmw members disregarding my post it appears the bmw pfp mrlawnguy thinks my statement is funny. Would appreciate if he'd chime in because I see no humor. A turbo 6 cyl that's most likely a daily driver can do around 6-7k miles or 10-12k kilometers and be alright on a non bmw rated synthetic oil. His bmw should have the revised 10k mile interval not the tard 15k mile from a few years prior. A long life oil with a 10k mile rating or 16k kilometers translates to 6-7k miles or around 10-12 on a standard full synthetic until both are used up. But even then I wouldn't recommend supertech syn. I'd just ecommend he go to around 7-8k on that 0w-30 instead. Didn't say the oil was bad and a waste of money or that supertech oil rules over others just that it wasn't being used enough unless he's fine with over maintaining a vehicle that may not make it long enough elsewhere until the engine wears inside.
Why overthink it when 5 quarts of ll01 can be had for 25?

Your posts are ridiculous

Should not do that? BMW disagrees with you. I guess having the toughest oxidation requirements in the industry might indicate that they know how their engines do under various exploitation requirements.
This is really not that complicated. They make the engine, they tested it, they said what to use, but I guess they forgot to ask "Supertech" crowd.
Every now and then we have here someone arguing how "Supertech" will do. So, don't be surprised by people's reactions. It gets tiring.
Saving an extra 10 dollars and oil change on an expensive car - no thanks.

I use Pennzoil Euro 5W40 in my N55. Oil is critical in these motors and it gets punished hard. My N52 could probably run on tap water in comparison. That car now gets dealer 0W30 LL01FE.

Why overthink it when 5 quarts of ll01 can be had for 25?

Your posts are ridiculous

And your posts are at least equal in ridiculousness. If one could actually read they could see that i said "But even then I wouldn't recommend supertech syn. I'd just recommend he go to around 7-8k on that 0w-30 instead" in my previous comment. I suggested to go a bit longer than 5k kilometers or half a year to merit the effort and expense on getting and paying for the 0w-30 first. Besides a Jug of LL-01 isn't even $25 anymore. Quaker state sells their LL-01 Euro for under $19 which is why i use it. i don't even use supertech since it isn't worth it. All i said that if one were to stick to doing 5000 kilometer or half year oil changes they could use the cheapest synthetic and be fine. If they don't they wont have issues just be a bit wasteful.

Where are the answers to my questions. I don't suspect they'd be honest either. I can't be expected to believe an NA port injected N52 inline 6 with whatever off shelf synthetic oil will sludge like that after 5000 miles. Either there was something wrong that was unknown or you're withholding important info.

I use Pennzoil Euro 5W40 in my N55. Oil is critical in these motors and it gets punished hard. My N52 could probably run on tap water in comparison. That car now gets dealer 0W30 LL01FE.
In that turbo gdi engine yes, but the NA port injected n52 isn't so sensitive.

Where are the answers to my questions. I don't suspect they'd be honest either. I can't be expected to believe an NA port injected N52 inline 6 with whatever off shelf synthetic oil will sludge like that after 5000 miles. Either there was something wrong that was unknown or you're withholding important info.
Answers to your questions? Among hundreds of threads here in this section. You are pretty entitled IMO. Like I said, we always have someone here on weekly basis thinking world owes them answers to their assumptions.

Answers to your questions? Among hundreds of threads here in this section. You are pretty entitled IMO. Like I said, we always have someone here on weekly basis thinking world owes them answers to their assumptions.
You're really trying to portray me as some selfish person who has no right to simply ask questions about someone issues they make public yet you want to say what you want to someone without them being able to ask anything or debate you in any way. Yeah I already who you are and it's very sad. May God help you brother.

You're really trying to portray me as some selfish person who has no right to simply ask questions about someone issues they make public yet you want to say what you want to someone without them being able to ask anything or debate you in any way. Yeah I already who you are and it's very sad. May God help you brother.
You didnā€™t ask questions. You made recommendation to a person like you are chief engineer in BMW, not a guy with a truck.
You actually gave ā€œelaborate recommendation ā€œ to person that actually asked question and needs recommendation. Your recommendation was not based on any facts but your assumption.
I am not trying to portray you selfish, you did that.
i am more than willing to elaborate this to people that are not parachuting with: ā€œhere is my assumption, prove me wrongā€ approach.

You didnā€™t ask questions. You made recommendation to a person like you are chief engineer in BMW, not a guy with a truck.
You actually gave ā€œelaborate recommendation ā€œ to person that actually asked question and needs recommendation. Your recommendation was not based on any facts but your assumption.
I am not trying to portray you selfish, you did that.
i am more than willing to elaborate this to people that are not parachuting with: ā€œhere is my assumption, prove me wrongā€ approach.
My questions were for your n52 and its issues which i just wanted to know more about because I'm willing to be told there's more to something so that i can understand and happily put any assumptions down and move on. i don't like assuming anything which is why i asked first. Maybe there's more to something as that's how life is, i just wanted a bigger perspective first. This is how a mature grown man is supposed to function.

And yes I am in the wrong for suggesting that a daily driven turbo gdi n55 can go more than 5k kilometers, 3k miles or a half year on 0w-30 Pennzoil platinum euro lx because i didn't provide some facts. You can ask anyone on here if they think Pennzoil platinum euro can do around 6-7k in a normally driven turbo gdi engine. There are ford, gm, kia, Hyundai, and Honda owners who do those intervals in their turbo gdi engines with regular full synthetic oil that's less good than Pennzoil platinum euro lx and they aren't sludging them to engine failure like you say your n52 experienced. So how can i justify believing that a naturally aspirated port injected n52 will sludge to that severity and have engine failure with off shelf synthetic 5k intervals unless there's more to it. Which is exactly why i simply asked for some more background info first. I never once called you a liar or that you were faking and began attacking as soon as i saw your picture and read your statement. I did say that the answers may not be honest after i saw you wouldn't converse with me about the few questions i had. Am i also wrong for suggesting that if the owner wanted to keep their short intervals they could and also use a cheaper full synthetic and still be okay. BMW has experience with turbo gdi engines and they now know the limit which still requires their LL oil to meet it or less if it isn't LL rated as the oil wont have the oxidation resistance for it, They reduced their intervals and kept the spec to meet that new interval of 10k miles. The other brands i mentioned also have experience with those engine technologies which beat on the oil a lot more and use a lesser oil but at lesser intervals and aren't plagued with issues. So whos to say a BMW turbo gdi n55 cant also do those shorter intervals on a non LL rated oil. You've yet to provide fact either. Just a picture of your n52 that doesn't have much information but you expect us to take that as fact.

I truly don't wish to have any trouble with people who refuse to elaborate on anything and get defensive and refuse to communicate. All because i simply asked for some more info about someone's post out of curiosity so i wouldn't draw conclusions, have deep assumptions, or bash. I really like the older non turbo gdi BMW engines like the n52 a lot and i was legitimately curious about it. I would've been happy to discuss things that we know and don't know and make another acquaintance on here. I don't want to engage in name calling and insults like you have towards me. It's not the mature or thing to do.

You stated Supertech oil.
Pennzoil Euro LX is different thing and we are not debating that. You recommended something that should never be used in this car and then made that into ā€œprove me wrong.
Pennzoil Euro LX is debated here numerous times, recommended for BMW and you can easily find it. It can do easily 5K in N55 bcs. it carries numerous stringent approvals.
Now, you are moving this into: well this oil.
Simple:
Supertech? No.
Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX? Yes with 5k interval due to lower TBN.

Last edited:
Oh, didn't see it was a bmw engine, didn't even notice the valvetronic in the back either,

Thought diesel oil should do it?

Oh, didn't see it was a bmw engine, didn't even notice the valvetronic in the back either,

Thought diesel oil should do it?
No, why going diesel route? I mean I seriously donā€™t understand this. BMW LL01 oil is same price in Wal Mart as any other synthetic oil for letā€™s say my Toyota. So, why reinventing the wheel? MB229.5 oils (which also could be used) are also available for $22 for 5qt. Quaker State Euro goes for $18 for 5qt.
So, I seriously have a hard time with argument: use incorrect oil although it is same price as correct oil.

Back