My wife is wanting a new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
nap
The CR-V will be getting a test drive too. I’ll leave the transmission function to her. My worry is the fuel dilution issues of the 1.5T and the thin oil Honda specifies.

MaximaGuy
We are going to look at all of the cars I listed. I had a Hyundai and my wife has a KIA and both are very reliable cars.

Rav4 is all new for 19. Bold new styling (love it or hate it)and greatly improved interior (I like) over past models. Non turbo 2.5 engine with direct/port injection 203 or so hp. 8 speed tranny. Hybrid version as well.

Originally Posted By: MParr
We are selling our old home tomorrow and my wife is wanting a new car. She wants a small SUV similar in size to my Escape. She says she doesn’t want an Escape. That whittles it down to just a few possibilities. GM? No way!
Honda CR-V EX 1.5T? There seems to be problems with fuel dilution of the oil.
Mazda CX-5? Overall a pretty good vehicle. Maybe a little small.
Toyota RAV4? Nice car, a little underpowered.
VW Tiguan? I’m starting to like this car a lot. I’m not sure about reliability.
KIA Sportage? A reliable car. Fuel mileage is a little worse than the others
Hyundai Tucson Sport? Very close to the Sportage.
Subaru doesn’t make the cut.
I would appreciate some input. Please don’t cite Consumer Reports, they take payola.
Personal experience is a better gauge.

We went through the same list except for the VW.

The cr-v and subaru were off the list as they were cvt.

The tuson we drove ran well and handled well but the body had lots of creaks when turning or going over bumps.

The rav 4 was nice but the back seats felt cheap and not as comfortable

The cx-5 had nicer back seats, was really the quietest ride. Handled really well and looked good. I did not find a lot of issues with mazda DI.

We went with the cx-5, six months and so far we are happy.

Last edited:
Will this be 5 and done? If so, buy what feels best for the wife. I mean, you mention the oil dilution on the Honda--but if you're trading after 5 years, who cares?

I know you said no to Subaru, but that's what Id be looking at if I were to buy a small ute.

Otherwise Id personally be looking at a Highlander Hybrid, RX Hybrid or MDX hybrid, personally.

They may be a little bit larger than the class youre looking in now, but IMO the volume will be welcome in some circumstances. I get it that they are more $$, so that's a consideration to make.

Honestly, when we had a Hyundai SUV rental about two years ago, I thought it was pretty good. They are made at the Alabama-Georgia line on I-85. If GM is out (I like the equinox), and she doesnt want a Ford, I would have a look at those too...

JHZR2
Subaru just doesn’t make the grade. They tend to be underpowered. They don’t really grab the eye. They tend to leak oil. If we lived where there was a lot of snow, we might consider a Subaru. We will look at the Hyundai and KIA offerings.

Last edited:
We are selling our old home tomorrow and my wife is wanting a new car. She wants a small SUV similar in size to my Escape. She says she doesn’t want an Escape. That whittles it down to just a few possibilities. GM? No way!
Honda CR-V EX 1.5T? There seems to be problems with fuel dilution of the oil.
Mazda CX-5? Overall a pretty good vehicle. Maybe a little small.
Toyota RAV4? Nice car, a little underpowered.
VW Tiguan? I’m starting to like this car a lot. I’m not sure about reliability.
KIA Sportage? A reliable car. Fuel mileage is a little worse than the others
Hyundai Tucson Sport? Very close to the Sportage.
Subaru doesn’t make the cut.
I would appreciate some input. Please don’t cite Consumer Reports, they take payola.
Personal experience is a better gauge.

Sounds like you have eliminated for one reason or another almost all the field. No Ford, GM, Subaru, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, VW, Kia, or Hyundai. I think the only mass manufacturer you didn't mention was FCA. Since I have only GM and Subaru experience I have nothing to say pro or con on FCA vehicles. Good luck. In my case, it wouldn't matter what I wanted; the wife would rule.
crackmeup2.gif

Also, I guess I'm a little behind the times, but I haven't heard Kia and reliability mixed in the same sentence. My last KIA experience was one where KIA stood for kick it again. Not again.

Last edited:
Alot of my customers have moved into the Hyundai/Kia products and are happy with it, but it really depends on her. Some people like a little nicer driving handling car at the expensive of fuel economy etc. Id look into the Toyota as well, also pretty reliable from what Ive seen through my shop.

I rented a V6 AWD GMC Acadia a while back. I found it to be one of the nicest driving SUV's around. It's not a compact SUV, more like a smaller mid-size. I liked it far more than the Explorers I've been renting. It was far more "lively" and responsive. A very pleasant surprise in every way.

The Acadia is also considerably smaller than the Explorer.

I cringe every time I get a Hyundai or Kia SUV, I hate 'em. But of the two, I prefer the Kia. Just drives better.

The CRV is a nice little SUV, but it's noisy to me.

Last edited:
and the thin oil Honda specifies.

Do like the rest of us Honda owners do,and say screw CAFE and fill it up with 5W/10W30.

And a little bit of lateral thinking - with the 2019 model being all the rage, maybe you can find some good deal on the outgoing Acura RDX 2018, it might be close in price to a similarly equipped Tiguan. You’d get a large, non-turbo engine with automatic transmission.

It’s a GM product and not on my list. [/quote]

Why so much hate for GM? I was in my friends 2.0 liter Terrain yesterday all over Miami and it was very nice. I looks very good t-boot.

Wolf359
I bought things based on their reviews and they never measured up to their hype. Mercedes isn’t on my list.

Yeah, you eliminated a lot of low end cars so the next step up is a luxury model, Acura, Lexus, Audi, BMW, they all make small SUV's.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
and the thin oil Honda specifies.

Do like the rest of us Honda owners do,and say screw CAFE and fill it up with 5W/10W30.

Just what I was thinking.

Originally Posted By: Tahoe4Life
It’s a GM product and not on my list.

Why so much hate for GM? I was in my friends 2.0 liter Terrain yesterday all over Miami and it was very nice. I looks very good t-boot. [/quote]
We just don’t care for GM products. On top of that the Equinox doesn’t measure up to the cars I listed.

Originally Posted By: Tahoe4Life
It’s a GM product and not on my list.

Why so much hate for GM? I was in my friends 2.0 liter Terrain yesterday all over Miami and it was very nice. I looks very good t-boot. [/quote]

Not everyone is a fan of GovMo.

AZJeff
I will let her choose. I do have some input. She’s also used to her 200hp KIA and stepping down in horsepower might not be what she will like.

Got it. I discouraged a couple at the beginning, she nixed a couple and picked the RAV4. Of course, a change in jobs/location has me driving the RAV 75 miles/day commuting. Oh well. If she can wait the 2019 RAV4 looks pretty good and they bumped the HP by 15%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back