My wife is closing out her 30+ year nursing career

Thanks and yes. It was one thing for my wife because our children are fully grown and have their own families. But the young nurses with young children. Those nurses had fears but they still showed up for work.

Scott
It was a scary time for health care workers. Took care of those patients before vaccines. We all felt like we were walking through the valley of the shadow of death. Many nurses, ( and ER frontline nurses) phlebotomists, cathlab personnel, rad techs, surgical nurses and staff, too many to name, bravely took care of those patients with a sense of duty, and ultimately the honor to care for others.

My hats off to your wife Slo town ( @slo town ). There is no telling how many other nurses she trained, motivated and inspired in her career!

Congrats all-around - her career, your partnership…both great examples of making things work!
May you have many more adventures together!

It was a scary time for health care workers. Took care of those patients before vaccines. We all felt like we were walking through the valley of the shadow of death. Many nurses, ( and ER frontline nurses) phlebotomists, cathlab personnel, rad techs, surgical nurses and staff, too many to name, bravely took care of those patients with a sense of duty, and ultimately the honor to care for others.

My hats off to your wife Slo town ( @slo town ). There is no telling how many other nurses she trained, motivated and inspired in her career!
Congrats all-around - her career, your partnership…both great examples of making things work!
May you have many more adventures together!
Thank you gentlemen. Kind words from both of you.

Scott

Thanks and yes. It was one thing for my wife because our children are fully grown and have their own families. But the young nurses with young children. Those nurses had fears but they still showed up for work.

Scott
I'd like to add, that my wife and I were both hospitalized with Covid in November last year. I was in for 10 days and felt like total dog doo for the first 4-5 days, slowly getting better over time. While I was determined to do what I needed to, in order to recover as quickly as possible, those that attended to me were influential in my outlook and were a positive influence. Of course they all did their jobs well, but when it came to their personal touch and the encouragement they provide, it makes a difference. It really does.

Interesting to read how highly respected nurses seem to be here, yet get treated like crap on a daily basis in the real world.

Congrats to your wife though. Working with babies is hard, especially the NICU ones, they are very fragile and go from doing well to really bad very quickly.
I know when we get little babies in the ER, we are calling for NICU a nurse soon as we can to have them come down and help.

Interesting to read how highly respected nurses seem to be here, yet get treated like crap on a daily basis in the real world.

Congrats to your wife though. Working with babies is hard, especially the NICU ones, they are very fragile and go from doing well to really bad very quickly.
I know when we get little babies in the ER, we are calling for NICU a nurse soon as we can to have them come down and help.

ER is very difficult considering all the drug addicts , homeless and Baker Acts causing trouble.

I’ve worked in many hospitals from a small 100 bed to a 900 bed hospital. Nurses definitely earn their money the hard way and face many challenges.

Due to equipment all around the hospital, I got to see everything including surgery, trauma, burn, etc….

Last edited:
Congratulations! It is somewhat rare for RN's to work in bedside for their entire career nowadays given the physical toll on their bodies. I truly appreciate all of the work that your wife does.

In the big cities experienced RNs can earn $150K per year or more.
Per my wife who is a RN herself, that would be the payrate for an inexperienced RN. Experienced ones are well over $200K/yr now. I'm just glad that we have nursing ratios here in CA.

Congratulations! It is somewhat rare for RN's to work in bedside for their entire career nowadays given the physical toll on their bodies. I truly appreciate all of the work that your wife does.

Per my wife who is a RN herself, that would be the payrate for an inexperienced RN. Experienced ones are well over $200K/yr now. I'm just glad that we have nursing ratios here in CA.
Sue loves everything about childbirth and babies, which is what kept her in the game so long. And you're right about big city RN wages, $130/hr is not uncommon. But every day they work their "A's" off in stressful situations.

And you're also right about nursing ratios.

Scott

Last edited:
Nursing is difficult for a variety of reasons, but the sense of comradery with other nurses is equal to that of soldiers in wartime.

Scott
My RN wife retired in 2013 also, after a 50 year career in nursing starting as a candystriper at her local hospital. She went through the 3 year program then got her BS.

She has worked in about every nursing position imaginable but preferred the ER because as she stated, "there was also something going on and it never became boring."

Even after retirement she worked for a neurosurgeon for a number of years until the neurosurgeon developed a medical problem and was no longer able to practice.

She is, in my view, is a better diagnostician than many doctors.

She now gives first aid to the grandchildren and neighborhood children. Nurses never really leave nursing.

They are the angels whom are closer to the patient than the doctors will ever be.

Last edited:
Thanks for your story. My wife is a labor and delivery nurse and it’s definitely a tough job and tough on the body. She’s been doing it for 7 years now. Glad the pay in CA is good. NC is one of the lowest paying states for nursing.

ER is very difficult considering all the drug addicts , homeless and Baker Acts causing trouble.

I’ve worked in many hospitals from a small 100 bed to a 900 bed hospital. Nurses definitely earn their money the hard way and face many challenges.

Due to equipment all around the hospital, I got to see everything including surgery, trauma, burn, etc….
Shelly said the three most prominent cases were drug overdoses, motorcycle accidents, and weekend drunks who to had to be 'educated to respect' by the LEO's before admittance.

Back