Wife is getting pooped on at her toxic workplace.

Nursing skills are heavily in demand. Throwing her administrative skills on top of this she is highly employable. Get those resumes out.

maybe it is time for your wife to tell em she want's her old job back..
it doesn't sound like she is going to be happy in her current position
nor is she going to last.

Her work is not only trying to fire her but they could try to sully her license.

If she keeps a time card, she should keep an honest one while looking to leave. My MIL was an RN for years and was guilted into working for free after her shift so she could finish her charting paperwork. She spent her time on the clock, on the floor. OP's wife is absolutely misclassified as exempt but it depends on your state's enforcement of labor laws if she'll ever see anything out of that.

Honestly she should look for union work-- Imagine the mental load that would be lifted knowing there's an organization that's got her back.

Unless you are in a very rural area, her skill set should find her in a new job within a few weeks. It's almost impossible to not fall into a nursing role right now....

My wife took a somewhat promotion to clinical coordinator from just being a regular nurse in a peds office. She was a shoe in based on her experience & work ethic. Her previous boss(practice manager?) never trained her in the various aspects of that job so when that boss left and another stepped in. Day one she just (edit- MOD) all over her then realized it wasn't 100% her fault and they both stepped back. Wife is not new to being a nurse since she is on year 17 of her career but she takes things in stride. Then they had an outside consultant or something along those lines come in to "streamline" the practice.

Whatever changes were being made upset a fair amount of people and the staff in one office quit. So she was told she need to go to that location and room patients instead of doing her job. In fact she has been been doing that more often than not due to call offs as of late anyway. She was told that she just had to "suck it up" and "be a team player". They also wanted her to work for free after hours & on the weekends if need be. She is salary so that is a non starter to me plus that is not compatible with our home life.

Her boss noted that in her file as an excuse and also not being a team player. She is feeling burnt out like nothing she is doing is right. They had a meeting today about her performance where she was not allowed to speak or in anyway defend herself because again it was just an excuse. All the staff and providers are complaining about her apparently but never brought any concerns to her directly.

So I'm the husband looking in and wanting to be on her side and I will admit if she was wrong but to me it just looks like they want a scapegoat for something and are setting her up for failure. COVID was hell and she has had to constantly deal with being berated by parents but pushed through anyway to now arrive at this during Nurses Week no less.
She needs to get out of that situation. It's not going to get better. She is a nurse. She can get a kob anywhere as they are in short supply. Quality of life is important!

My wife took a somewhat promotion to clinical coordinator from just being a regular nurse in a peds office. She was a shoe in based on her experience & work ethic. Her previous boss(practice manager?) never trained her in the various aspects of that job so when that boss left and another stepped in. Day one she just (edit- MOD) all over her then realized it wasn't 100% her fault and they both stepped back. Wife is not new to being a nurse since she is on year 17 of her career but she takes things in stride. Then they had an outside consultant or something along those lines come in to "streamline" the practice.

Whatever changes were being made upset a fair amount of people and the staff in one office quit. So she was told she need to go to that location and room patients instead of doing her job. In fact she has been been doing that more often than not due to call offs as of late anyway. She was told that she just had to "suck it up" and "be a team player". They also wanted her to work for free after hours & on the weekends if need be. She is salary so that is a non starter to me plus that is not compatible with our home life.

Her boss noted that in her file as an excuse and also not being a team player. She is feeling burnt out like nothing she is doing is right. They had a meeting today about her performance where she was not allowed to speak or in anyway defend herself because again it was just an excuse. All the staff and providers are complaining about her apparently but never brought any concerns to her directly.

So I'm the husband looking in and wanting to be on her side and I will admit if she was wrong but to me it just looks like they want a scapegoat for something and are setting her up for failure. COVID was hell and she has had to constantly deal with being berated by parents but pushed through anyway to now arrive at this during Nurses Week no less.
Its not hard to find another Nursing job, so many have left, or turn over is high. Hospitals are even putting out commercial ads, how great the Nurses luv their bosses.

kinda funny actually

HCA is well known for this and their Star RN program (StaRN).

Back On Topic:
OP’s wife needs to quit her trash job ASAP !!!! 🤬
Not worth the stress, drama, aggravation and unhappiness in this toxic sewer pit.
Its definitely taking a toll on her mental health, Im not kidding.

They had a meeting today about her performance where she was not allowed to speak or in anyway defend herself because again it was just an excuse.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? :unsure:

Run away as fast as possible, don’t look back. Better yet don’t even show up to work anymore.
I told her that but being with the same employer I guess change is giving her anxiety. She is dual licensed in PA & NJ and we are 2 mins from NJ.

No job or career is perfect, but if it’s affecting your mental health and you dread going to work….. it’s time to look for another job.

^^^^ This statement is for everyone on BITOG.

Same goes for an unhappy, loveless terrible marriage, it’s time to leave than continue being miserable.

I think this is something that many employers are currently getting called out on.

The "working for free" aspect is dicey because it depends on if she is exempt or non-exempt, as far as what the expectations are of the role. Generally management is exempt and not held to overtime laws, etc.

In my opinion, if the company has it out for her, she's not likely to win and if she does, that doesn't mean it's going to be a great experience after the win.

Yeah, I'd agree with that last part. At some point in time, maybe something just changes in the workplace. (I feel like I've had that happen at least twice.) It's as if co-workers have a meeting amongst themselves, decision is made to treat employee "differently than they have," that's one of the 4 courses of action to take, "Motivate employee to leave the company." Of course they just can't come out and say that so... average/good/normal performance becomes unacceptable, if write-ups come into play it is the beginning of the end and stuff like that. Good point also about salaried employees. I'm not sure I would ever want to be one unless it was very good, the hours salaried employees work sometimes makes the money not seem worth it ?? At least, I was told by some people in management at companies. Never been there.

I could make the argument that if employees have grievances with a co-worker . It might be part of the procedure to not directly that person. (Kind of like on here? lol.) Rather, they go to supervisors or managers and stuff. So employees that want to make a problem for you.. Will go to their favorite and most favorable higher-up to present a version of events that makes you look bad and may not even be true. This is something that can happen when it could very well be SOP to "not confront the person yourself." Not saying it's right, I would want people to tell me if they have a problem with me... I think the logic is that, if someone does that, employee will snap and physically assault very badly maybe the person doing it, risking all sourts of liability for company and things like that. (This is why they like to fire you by text, phone call, voicemail or e-mail after you punch out like it's a regular day.. in their mind, avoids confrontation.)

Can your wife find a new job?

She is dual licensed in PA & NJ and we are 2 mins from NJ.

Definitely proud of my post now x1000 since virtually if not all of my experience with what I talk about is in NYC, NJ and Florida. You may or may not be near Cherry Hill/Camden area, the part that's right by Philly.. maybe Frenchtown area and the free bridge.. I hope your situation has a favorable outcome. NJ sure don't make it easy.

Switching companies isn't easy...

Sounds like a job change is in order - sometimes you just need to move on when things are working out like you want. I know I've done it once.

Careful with the comments regarding salary in your OP and "work for free". This always bothered me when I manged folks, salaried professionals, you are getting paid $X to do Y. There are no hours invovled. The flip side is when you want to bail one day early, come in late, whatever...I never minded b/c the same goes....you did Y so no need to say for a certain amount of hours. When it gets egregious sure, I remember making a low entry-level salary and working crazy hours early in my career and being ticked off about it at times b/c "I wasn't getting paid." I remember a boss once told me...if you want to paid hourly, work at McDonalds ahahahah

Last edited:
I respect the way you want to help your wife but also find out if she is at fault.

If a person is being abused in a toxic workplace , unless you have a good union to protect you , it’s very hard to defend yourself. If you don’t, move on or it will get worse as mentioned.

I had a very unpleasant work situation once that would not have worked out in my favour had I not had a good union. I am not a union fanatic but they are very helpful if you belong to a good one.

Sorry, whenever I hear “ the team” , my eyes roll back and red flags go off.

You can be part of a great team without even having to mention it.

Treating people fairly/being polite just doesn’t come easy to some people, if at all.

Last edited:
Sounds like a job change is in order - sometimes you just need to move on when things are working out like you want. I know I've done it once.

Careful with the comments regarding salary in your OP and "work for free". This always bothered me when I manged folks, salaried professionals, you are getting paid $X to do Y. There are no hours invovled. The flip side is when you want to bail one day early, come in late, whatever...I never minded b/c the same goes....you did Y so no need to say for a certain amount of hours. When it gets egregious sure, I remember making a low entry-level salary and working crazy hours early in my career and being ticked off about it at times b/c "I wasn't getting paid." I remember a boss once told me...if you want to paid hourly, work at McDonalds ahahahah
Update;

She got the position in the other office with a salary increase so crisis avoided.

She understood that and stayed late or went in early many times in the past because it would all equal out in the end. Coming in on weekends was the kicker for me. I already work 6 days a week so it would not be compatible with our home life and kids. I get paid OT though and will gladly do it for salary if certain requirements were met.

She's worked for the same health network for 17 years so I know she's not against change but anxious about going completely new. Luckily she will again just make a bit of a lateral move and work from home mostly which to me seems like a plus.

I respect the way you want to help your wife but also find out if she is at fault.

If a person is being abused in a toxic workplace , unless you have a good union to protect you , it’s very hard to defend yourself. If you don’t, move on or it will get worse as mentioned.

I had a very unpleasant work situation that would not have worked out in my favour had I not had a good union. I am not a union fanatic but they are very helpful if you belong to a good one.

Sorry, whenever I hear “ the team” , my eyes roll back and red flags go off.

You can be part of a great team without even having to mention it.

Treating people fairly just doesn’t come easy to some people, if at all.
Ya this lady is a manipulator and just flat out lies which the other person in the meeting is keen on now.

She e-mailed that person and stated she wanted to improve and reached out to the providers to see what she could do. They told her she wasn't doing anything wrong with patients and have no idea how her boss got that impression. So red flags are being set.

I stopped several posts after # 3. It sez it all. There might B a union there. This sorta thing is their job (obviously, and "above her management" problem where the 'guy up there' is not taking charge/responsibility & straightening things out), unable to speak to middle men.
As some 1 w/experience in consulting managers (of staff) and couples (abt their family, children and marriage) I'd say you'd do best at naming the problem ("U R ina tough situation @ wrk, hon. I bet it feels awful. I'm here to hear more abt that. What the "F"'s going on there THIS wk." [if U use that kinda language w/each-other]). The point being - match her level of emotion + get the detail of the situation out. Of the 2 it is more important to match her level of energy w/it. # 3 is pretty right, not the time to problem solve. That comes after. Good Luck, cont 2 keep us informed~

Update;

She got the position in the other office with a salary increase so crisis avoided.

She understood that and stayed late or went in early many times in the past because it would all equal out in the end. Coming in on weekends was the kicker for me. I already work 6 days a week so it would not be compatible with our home life and kids. I get paid OT though and will gladly do it for salary if certain requirements were met.

She's worked for the same health network for 17 years so I know she's not against change but anxious about going completely new. Luckily she will again just make a bit of a lateral move and work from home mostly which to me seems like a plus.

I have a family member who works in a hospital. At one point last year he worked just over 8 months straight, 7 days a week, 12-15 hours plus each day. He finally got a couple of days off. He didn’t know what to do other than just sit.

A lot of people were out into that position for the past couple of years or so. Many left.

They had a meeting today about her performance where she was not allowed to speak or in anyway defend herself because again it was just an excuse.
That means it is time to start looking for a job. When they pull that stunt it's either to prove that they do not care about you as an employee or they are looking for a scapegoat. Seems like the latter with your wife.

I recently had a similar meeting. I was told that everyone thinks highly of me, but I'll never be promoted because I have been in my position for so long. Nevermind that I go above and beyond and do work significantly above my pay grade. Becuase I've been in the same position for so long, I will never be promoted.

We had a department stir up. My old boss was promoted and there's another manager inbetween us. My new manager is constantly impressed with my work. But has made it clear, there is no promotion for me ever.

Unfortunately I can't live on 3% raises for the rest of my life so ...

Definitely proud of my post now x1000 since virtually if not all of my experience with what I talk about is in NYC, NJ and Florida. You may or may not be near Cherry Hill/Camden area, the part that's right by Philly.. maybe Frenchtown area and the free bridge.. I hope your situation has a favorable outcome. NJ sure don't make it easy.

Switching companies isn't easy...

I am a stone's throw away from the Freebridge and slightly more from Frenchtown hence why I pushed her to get a NJ license as a backup and if needed incase her current employer buys a NJ health company.

I was in that locale when financing/managing health care changed model ("managed care" entered there 1st, mid 80s). Thru multi-level (making ownership opaque) governing structures the top cross-national companies own these huge conglomerate health co.s (thnx to de-regulation). Thats Y I mentioned union above. The only system to hang in there for these employees. I C now, as management she cant avail herself to such. These co.s do not place health (their product) as priority 1. The buck is One. They take advantage of the compassionate (most health care workers) their personality style and any other advantage they can. In this instance they have found a way to silence her voice. Like 'fighting city hall' it is very difficult (not impossible). She is fortunate to "B taken care of" (managed, silenced) thru lateral move, income increase. Beware of what they want back (not ona employment contract) and watch till (AND after) retirement. "They" have a life span much longer than our own.

Back