Wife is getting pooped on at her toxic workplace.

While I agree with your philosophy, if you're working you're getting paid....

Not many companies agree with us. The larger the organization, the more they take full advantage of the laws, such as rating employees as exempt or changing the way that overtime is calculated (more than 40 hours per week or 8 hours per day). I worked at a place to where you had to actually work more than 40 hours in a week. You couldn't take 8 hours sick or vacation pay on Monday and log 48 hours on the week and expect OT pay for the 8 hours over 40.
I've always prided myself on being fair and if you work you get paid seems fair to me. Right now there's a big push by private equity corporations to buy up dental practices which results in them taking over HR and instituting their own office policies in the name of efficiency. I will never sell to one of these corporations primarily because I like being the boss and not being told what to do but also because I think this can be done fairly without corporate involvement. I could probably make a few more bucks using their policies but I'd rather sleep well at night knowing I'm treating staff fairly.

Severe caution if she decides to stay. That performance evaluation sounds like the beginning of the end and the paper trail to cover a potential suit after the hammer drops. This is not going to improve and count on her mental health suffering over time.

So an update to all the responses;

I appreciate it all.

I agree she needs out but quick.

She got contacted internally about a job in another office in OBGYN which is what she used to do prior to the lateral move to Pediatrics. It was an old work colleague from her time in the hospital. They want her there because they know her personally and professionally. She applied, did the formal virtual interview, and is now waiting on an offer response for salary. I personally think she is a shoe in.

Another tidbit, she asked her providers(one she's worked with for 3 years) about what they said she did or didn't do. They all came back saying we never complained about you at all. Her next step is the staff who which again her boss stated everyone said "I don't feel she supports me" I bet that is false too. She contacted employees that left who warned her that her boss is a "toddler who compounds lies and doesn't even remember what she said when called out".

I told her to get HR on board immediately. I hope she takes my advice.

It is quite the toxic place.

Its best she leave this toxic dump and find something better.
Nurses are ALWAYS in demand and can find work very easily.

Lots of places do NOT respect nurses and chew them up like a piece of bubble gum….

Some healthcare systems are worse than a Walmart Supercenter, I’m not kidding. 😷

In these situations just leave unless the new job you'd be getting pays a lot less just leave. From experience it usually gets worse if you show you'll take it.

I feel badly for nurses today. My wife is an RN who started in the 80's. The nurses were valued and well taken care of. Today nurses suffer badly under long hours and unrealistic demands. In the end my wife was working 12-1/2 to 13 hours a shift. It affected her health and well being at the time. There were many days that she worked harder than my guys in plumbing and that is not an exxageration. We have a nursing shortage because thousand have left the hospitals from burnout. The health care system is slowly imploding in this country. Unless nursing is recognized as the health care backbone and valued for what it is we are in long term trouble here.
My hat is off to all the nurses that work so hard and give so much. Thank you for your sacrifice.

A licensed nurse with 17 years of clinical experience can quit a current nursing job today and be working somewhere else first thing tomorrow morning anywhere in the country. There isn't any reason why she has to put-up with this kind of nonsense. If she doesn't want to go to work anywhere else she can work for herself, and work when she wants to work, for likely 2X the money.

Last edited:
I feel badly for nurses today. My wife is an RN who started in the 80's. The nurses were valued and well taken care of. Today nurses suffer badly under long hours and unrealistic demands. In the end my wife was working 12-1/2 to 13 hours a shift. It affected her health and well being at the time. There were many days that she worked harder than my guys in plumbing and that is not an exxageration. We have a nursing shortage because thousand have left the hospitals from burnout. The health care system is slowly imploding in this country. Unless nursing is recognized as the health care backbone and valued for what it is we are in long term trouble here.
My hat is off to all the nurses that work so hard and give so much. Thank you for your sacrifice.

Unfortunately MBAs with degrees in healthcare management are running the show, zero idea of patient care yet they set unrealistic metrics.

Trust me on this, nurses have soooooo many corporate (for profit and non for profit) metrics they are judged on. Metrics….. metrics…. metrics…..

I‘m on a daily huddle with some hospitals and this is what the top leadership talks about.

Unfortunately MBAs with degrees in healthcare management are running the show, zero idea of patient care yet they set unrealistic metrics.

Trust me on this, nurses have soooooo many corporate (for profit and non for profit) metrics they are judged on. Metrics….. metrics…. metrics…..

I‘m on a daily huddle with some hospitals and this is what the top leadership talks about.
Problem is, without metrics, it is tough to objectively hold folks accountable.

A licensed nurse with 17 years experience can quit a current nursing job today and be working somewhere else first thing tomorrow morning anywhere in the country. There isn't any reason why she has to put-up with this kind of nonsense. If she doesn't want to go to work anywhere else she can work for herself, and work when she wants to work, for likely 2X the money.
I don't know if that is entirely true - it really depends on your specialty, whether its inpatient or outpatient and a slew of other factors. It can definitely take time.

Last edited:
I don't know if that is entirely true - it really depends on your specialty, whether its inpatient or outpatient and a slew of other factors. It can definitely take time.
I don't know the situation in CA, but here in Central Texas every hospital, emergency clinic (that have turned-up on seemingly every corner in the last few years), healthcare clinic, surgery clinic, nursing home, and doctor's office is looking for experienced licensed clinical nurses. The turnover rate has been astronomical in the last 3 years.

I’ve asked many nurses with 20-25 years of experience if there was a Time Machine and they could go back in time would they still choose nursing as a career.

90% of the nurses said NO without any hesitation or thinking about it.

Nursing is very difficult and will not be getting any easier in the future
More new metrics = More charting on computer = Less time with patient.

MBA-fication (non clinical staff) of healthcare has very bad consequences….

Why ?
Because hospital CEO and COO with zero knowledge of clinical care of patients, problems, staffing issues, morale, dealing with patient’s family, etc… can NOT relate to or even have a meaningful conversation with clinical staff.

CEO and COO go from the parking garage to their office…… then at the end of the day go from their office to parking garage and drive home.

HCAHPS scores are very important to any hospital.

Last edited:
My wife took a somewhat promotion to clinical coordinator from just being a regular nurse in a peds office. She was a shoe in based on her experience & work ethic. Her previous boss(practice manager?) never trained her in the various aspects of that job so when that boss left and another stepped in. Day one she just **** all over her then realized it wasn't 100% her fault and they both stepped back. Wife is not new to being a nurse since she is on year 17 of her career but she takes things in stride. Then they had an outside consultant or something along those lines come in to "streamline" the practice.

Whatever changes were being made upset a fair amount of people and the staff in one office quit. So she was told she need to go to that location and room patients instead of doing her job. In fact she has been been doing that more often than not due to call offs as of late anyway. She was told that she just had to "suck it up" and "be a team player". They also wanted her to work for free after hours & on the weekends if need be. She is salary so that is a non starter to me plus that is not compatible with our home life.

Her boss noted that in her file as an excuse and also not being a team player. She is feeling burnt out like nothing she is doing is right. They had a meeting today about her performance where she was not allowed to speak or in anyway defend herself because again it was just an excuse. All the staff and providers are complaining about her apparently but never brought any concerns to her directly.

So I'm the husband looking in and wanting to be on her side and I will admit if she was wrong but to me it just looks like they want a scapegoat for something and are setting her up for failure. COVID was hell and she has had to constantly deal with being berated by parents but pushed through anyway to now arrive at this during Nurses Week no less.
I'm with a lot of others here.
RN positions are growing on trees while the supply of RNs is withering on the vine.
She should leave now before these cretins can further sully her reputation.
She should not need to deal with constant denigration from some business school educated moron.
Keep in mind as well that this toxic boss is probably under intense pressure to deliver certain metrics and HR is expected to aid in this quest.

Last edited:
I don't know the situation in CA, but here in Central Texas every hospital, emergency clinic (that have turned-up on seemingly every corner in the last few years), healthcare clinic, surgery clinic, nursing home, and doctor's office is looking for experienced licensed clinical nurses. The turnover rate has been astronomical in the last 3 years.
It's a broad brush - yes, the supply is low and the demand is high, but facilities will want a person experienced in the specialty being sought. For instance, an outpatient peds RN is not going to be a top candidate for an ICU or PCU position. A med/surg RN is unlikely to be a top choice for a labor/delivery unit, either.

Also, like many fields, once you make certain changes (e.g. moving from inpatient to out) it can really limit your future career options.

Interesting piece on the news the other night about nurses who hire on at corporate owned hospitals. They sign the contract but find out if they leave, the are billed for so called " training" which in the old days was basically your orientation. The hospital claims that theirs is so priceless, nurses need to reimburse them, some nurse paid 10 to 20k to leave. Not the hire on bonus, which is a fair claw back but the orientation training, usually by a junior employee.

Interesting piece on the news the other night about nurses who hire on at corporate owned hospitals. They sign the contract but find out if they leave, the are billed for so called " training" which in the old days was basically your orientation. The hospital claims that theirs is so priceless, nurses need to reimburse them, some nurse paid 10 to 20k to leave. Not the hire on bonus, which is a fair claw back but the orientation training, usually by a junior employee.

HCA is well known for this and their Star RN program (StaRN).

Back On Topic:
OP’s wife needs to quit her trash job ASAP !!!! 🤬
Not worth the stress, drama, aggravation and unhappiness in this toxic sewer pit.
Its definitely taking a toll on her mental health, Im not kidding.

They had a meeting today about her performance where she was not allowed to speak or in anyway defend herself because again it was just an excuse.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? :unsure:

Run away as fast as possible, don’t look back. Better yet don’t even show up to work anymore.

Last edited:
This should be made illegal.
With this knowledge now available I would think that they are having a very difficult time hiring right now.
Where I live there is a bidding war going on for experienced clinical nurses (they are even fighting over new graduates). Why wouldn't this type of person take another job if they are getting a $40-$50k pay raise, especially if they are being screwed over by their current employer?

There is a huge need for nurses. She can go anywhere she wants and get a $10,000 -$20,000 pay increase. If she is not happy… leave. Go do something else.

My sister in law is a phone nurse for an insurance company. She works from home, answering questions, and looking over insurance cases. She works whatever hours she wants and makes $100,000 a year. She loves it.

i worked in maintenance in a hospital (retired),and seen some of the unrealistic things that nurses and support staff were required to do,,the problem is ,,management by a long shot,not pay,,dave hess said it nicely

Back