My sisters eat like their rich, I dont want to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Carnoobie
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

You know what? After reading this post, I am absolutely CONVINCED that one of these scenarios is true. Scenario number 1) You must be completely pulling everyone's leg here on Bitog and only start these ridiculous threads in order to see what folks here will solicit in response. Or....scenario number 2) You are totally incapable of making decisions that take the VERY slightest...tiniest...most miniscule bit of courage and prefer instead, to be a doormat.
There just isn't any other POSSIBLE reason.
One last question though....were you raised in a single parent household by your mother? It truly seems obvious that you've not had a normal male figure involved in your upbringing.

Im not pulling anyones leg. Im telling it as it is, if you dont want to believe me, then fine, I cant force you. Do you not think there was a more shocked person at my birthday dinner than me? Trust me, I was a bit taken back by it when I had to pay my own dinner and cake.

And #2 is right, I sometimes dont know how to go about decisions so thats why i asked others. Now I have ideas on how to go about the next dinner.

The reason why I dont want to bring this up with them is cause I have 3 sisters, all older, all will gang up on me and Id have no one to back me up. And well lets just say, one I dont get a long with (we dont even talk), and the other 2 can be a bit rocky at times but we get along in general. A while back they said the reason for them charging me is cause Im an adult now and can pay my own way at all family gatherings. Life isnt free and they dont want me freeloading or relying on others. According to them, they said inviting me over to their place and charging me for the food I eat is no different than us going out to a restaurant and me paying my bill.

You don't really listen to the advice offered here but instead you seem to prefer to come up with more complexities....thereby giving yourself more and more excuses as to why you can't be assertive.
In all honesty you seem a rather hopeless person in a world full of others that will take advantage of you because they sense weakness. Humans are like animals in that regard. If they can they WILL dominate you. This is what you have allowed these females to do to you. It's embarrassing actually. You are a man....not a little boy or a meek female, correct? Don't you have a father to get advice from? A stronger brother perhaps? You really should seek some professional counseling if you can't make some changes in your life. Asking advice on a message board will only get you so far in this matter. You certainly must realize that the cause of all this is your lack of assertion, right? I'd love to be in your shoes for a week and straighten all this out for you. It would be simple and fun. But YOU are the one that needs to do it. Your sisters are doing what comes natural in human existence...domination, manipulation, and control of the weak.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
...... Your sisters are doing what comes natural in human existence...domination, manipulation, and control of the weak.

AWWWWW!!!!! After reading that I just Had a BAD vision of leather pants and dog collars!!!
sick.gif

Showing up dressed like the Lord Humungus, the Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla and putting dog collars on them would probably just stop the invitations altogether. I don't think that's quite what Carnoobie's trying to accomplish.

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
Originally Posted By: andrewg
...... Your sisters are doing what comes natural in human existence...domination, manipulation, and control of the weak.

AWWWWW!!!!! After reading that I just Had a BAD vision of leather pants and dog collars!!!
sick.gif

Lol....nasty visual.

You know what? After reading this post, I am absolutely CONVINCED that one of these scenarios is true. Scenario number 1) You must be completely pulling everyone's leg here on Bitog and only start these ridiculous threads in order to see what folks here will solicit in response. Or....scenario number 2) You are totally incapable of making decisions that take the VERY slightest...tiniest...most miniscule bit of courage and prefer instead, to be a doormat.
One last question though....were you raised in a single parent household by your mother? It truly seems obvious that you've not had a normal male figure involved in your upbringing.

Im not pulling anyones leg. Im telling it as it is, if you dont want to believe me, then fine, I cant force you. Do you not think there was a more shocked person at my birthday dinner than me? Trust me, I was a bit taken back by it when I had to pay my own dinner and cake.

And #2 is right, I sometimes dont know how to go about decisions so thats why i asked others. Now I have ideas on how to go about the next dinner.

The reason why I dont want to bring this up with them is cause I have 3 sisters, all older, all will gang up on me and Id have no one to back me up. And well lets just say, one I dont get a long with (we dont even talk), and the other 2 can be a bit rocky at times but we get along in general. A while back they said the reason for them charging me is cause Im an adult now and can pay my own way at all family gatherings. Life isnt free and they dont want me freeloading or relying on others. According to them, they said inviting me over to their place and charging me for the food I eat is no different than us going out to a restaurant and me paying my bill.

Boycott the next dinner. See what kind of reaction you get. The first step to changing anything is to quit tolerating it.

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
Overpriced generally means "costs more than I want to pay."

You can eat cheap steak, drive cheap cars, wear cheap shoes and drink cheap wine. Some don't see the difference. Some can't afford the difference. Some see the difference but can't justify the cost. And some appreciate fine things.

What's weird is they apparently want others to pay for their expensive taste. I've never heard of adults requesting guests to pay for their food.

My sister's "free range organic" turkey was dry, tough, and tasteless. The cheap frozen one I bought (less than one-quarter the price for a larger one) was moist & tender.

Originally Posted By: Garak
The food is good but im just not a fan of wasting money on overpriced food just cause they came from some high end bakery or meat market. Just not my taste. I like good foods, but to me theres a limit and I think last night we past it.

They're nutty!
wink.gif

For the $45, you could have had the whole deal at the Keg, all the way from appetizer to Billy Miner pie, and no one accuses the Keg of being cheap.

My wife and I had anniversary dinner at a very nice steak house (I am shamelessly plugging The Steak Loft in Mystic, CT now!)...it didn't cost that much and I recall she ordered Filet Mignon!

I have come to two conclusions here. Am I right in thinking that...
1) You do not want to end up alienated from your family.
2) You are concerned that you will not be allowed to see your nephews.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Amazing how far some people can push others around and they just take it. Absolutly amazing.

You and me both. It's shameful. And this is called a "family"? My sister treated me rather poorly for a time. I took it for the sake of 'getting along'. But eventually she mistook this as a sign that she could take it further. As soon as she did that I wrote her off and cut her out of my life like I would a cancer. Been three wonderful years not having to related to her. One of the best decisions I've made in my life.

^^^
Same here. Both my sisters are nut jobs and I rarely speak to them. I have no time or patience for family member's psycho drama.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Boycott the next dinner. See what kind of reaction you get. The first step to changing anything is to quit tolerating it.

ok ill boycott next dinner. She will ask why and ill just say it like it is, the food is too expensive for me.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I have come to two conclusions here. Am I right in thinking that...
1) You do not want to end up alienated from your family.
2) You are concerned that you will not be allowed to see your nephews.

Both are correct.

ok ill boycott next dinner. She will ask why and ill just say it like it is, the food is too expensive for me.

Nope guy, you still missed it! Get some backbone. You're being charged for a dinner you are invited to. Why should you be charged, even if the dinner is at Micky D's.

Nope guy, you still missed it! Get some backbone. You're being charged for a dinner you are invited to. Why should you be charged, even if the dinner is at Micky D's.

It's hopeless. Backbone and Carnoobie just don't coexist.

ill tell her when the time comes, im not going cause its too expensive. She will know. If she asks why then ill tell her charging me is not right and im not paying so im staying home.

I believe the 2 of us have two different outlooks on life in general.

Nobody, and I mean nobody has ever walked over my in my 68 years of living, many have tried, none accomplished it.

As stated, if I offend someone they have 2 choices, 1. get over it, 2. stay offended. Their choice, neither makes me no difference.

ill tell her when the time comes, im not going cause its too expensive. She will know. If she asks why then ill tell her charging me is not right and im not paying so im staying home.

If the event is something that all involved parties plan equally, such as a school reunion, etc., the I can see the burden of cost being shared. However, if "Jane" throws a party, she is the one who should bear the cost. If she throws the event, invites you, then tries to charge you, then is when you have a choice as to attendance or declination. If she gets bent outta shape because you choose to decline, it's her issue not yours. But the only way your gonna solve your issue is to grow a pair, or at least a spine and make your decision and stick with it.

Gotta agree, he really isn't getting the point. If one is invited to a dinner, that is an invitation of hospitality (not a business transaction.) Courtesy indicates that you ask if you can bring a dish, bread, wine, etc to help the hostess and perhaps alleviate her of some food prep or show your appreciation. If she shuns your offer, then you are off the hook. If you are going to pay $$$, I would demand to meet @ a restaurant. If she wants to know why, tell her if you are going to pay cash, you want a professionally prepared dinner. Let her gnaw on that statement for awhile and see where it goes from there.

The event should be about family getting together, not the food. I have held many family events (many have cost over a couple of hundred dollars to put on) and I have been invited to many family events and with the EXCEPTION of mutually meeting at a restaurant and going dutch, has any money ever changed hands. We may ask each other if we can bring anything to help with food prep but that's it. If they truly want to get together and be a family, then burgers/hot dogs should be fine. If they feel the need to be grandiose and put on airs, then that's more about them than you and that doesn't mean you have to play along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back