My parents Hyundai was stolen last night

I honestly do the same thing. With Crackhead Randy across the street I really got to watch my stuff! I also have another guy in the area that is similar, but I can't say his nick name in this forum. Needless to say I found the guy in the middle of the road one night not wearing a single piece of clothing trying to catch a ride. So much for quiet country living...
Where do you people live and I say that as someone living just outside Worcester, MA?

That sucks. Did their's have the keyless push-button start system? My wife has the same car (2.0t limited) but it stays inside of the garage at night.
It's just the keyed models. From what I understand, there's not a traditional lock cylinder mounted to the column. The part that "accepts" the key is mounted to the plastic bezel / shroud on the column. . Once you break off the bezel/shroud, you can just use something like a USB type A plug to turn the plug and start the car.

My grandpa had the club, and they cut the steering wheel and threw the club on the porch. He was so hurt, he thought he had the crooks beat lol
The previous generation of thieves can drive a manual transmission.

This generation can't, and has to rely less on old-school methods and more on new technology to take advantage of new car electronic vulnerabilities, so they're less likely going to carry a bolt cutter to cut a steering wheel, and while attempting to steal a car, go on youtube to learn how to defeat an old archaic device.

Even the police is handing out clubs to Hyundai/Kia owners as a deterrent

I'm trying to find a brake pedal lock, that if they start my car by taking advantage of the electronic vulnerabilities, they still can't shift the car out of park, and if they use the manual override, can't drive the car far because there is no brake.

It's just the keyed models. From what I understand, there's not a traditional lock cylinder mounted to the column. The part that "accepts" the key is mounted to the plastic bezel / shroud on the column. . Once you break off the bezel/shroud, you can just use something like a USB type A plug to turn the plug and start the car.
I was at the local junkyard looking for a splash shield - which I struck out on. They are getting in fresh 10s HyunKia products - every one had a busted steering lock. I should have taken a picture but it looks like a USB-A cable slips over the nub and can be turned.

The cars I saw were in decent shape besides from being crashed.

Toyota is notorious for its cheap plastic interiors - my 2020 Tundra Platinum included.
Even the Ikea-sterile interiors of a Tesla looks better than a Toyota one. I think 2010s-2020s Toyota interiors are just a step above 1980s-2000s GM or Chrysler.

May want to get 4 of these at about $72 each ( w/o tax ) to slow them down . Could use with free steering wheel lock . 5 deterrents better than 1 . Bill them to KIA / HYUNDAI .

IMG_0530.JPG

My old lady owns a super low mileage (60k) 2006 Kia Spectra that she uses as a commuter instead of driving her 4.7 WJ. A couple months ago, she fell victim to an attempted theft while the car was parked right out front of my house.

The punks quickly discovered that the USB trick doesn't work on an '06, so they gave up without touching a thing in the car. I replaced the RR window they smashed, threw in a used steering column, and all was well. Cost me about $75 and a couple hours time. She immediately ordered a Club, and now uses it whenever she visits.

Tested the 'software' patch installed in the Kia and it worked fine.

Left windows open... tried to start car with key and alarm triggered instantly and car was disabled. No way to start car without unlocking with the remote 1st.

Am retraining wife, still in progress, and possibly need more Scooby Snacks, to lock vehicle with remote, when exiting, and then quick/force enable factory alarm by making sure it blinks/chirps(press lock twice on remote).

When I worked at a local shop we had a soft top Jeep come in for theft protection. He already had an alarm but still stolen. Items were stolen all the time. I put a console in with locks and a kill switch. If he locked Jeep there was a sensor on the back floor that would go off if speakers were lifted. Last I heard it was never stolen again.

Nobody today will steal a car equipped with this low tech anti-theft device.

View attachment 152392

courtesy ultimo
that is the best deterrent, none of these young punks have ever driven a manual anything before, sadly very ,very few vehicles today come with manual transmissions anymore. expensive sport cars likely the exception. I learned to drive on a 3 on the tree and 4 on the floor vehicles. that was back in the early 70's. Even The driver Ed car in my HS was a Chevy Impala station wagon with 3 on the tree. many a young thug and thief has been stumped by a standard transmission so they just give it up after struggling to keep the vehicle going, they have zero idea on how a clutch works. if its not automatic they cant drive it and most criminals are too stupid to learn how anyway.

My parents 2015 Sonata with key ignition was stolen from their driveway last night. There wasn’t any broken glass on the ground when they went out there. My parents are in their late 70’s and I feel so bad for them. They had the so called Hyundai security update a month ago on the car, put those warning decals on every window, like that worked. My Dad is more upset his golf bag was in the trunk and will probably never see his clubs again. This car only had 43,000 miles on it.
My coworker had hers stolen four days after purchase but oddly enough was found. According to the sherriff's office other than a few scratches a free Disney hoodie and cheetos on the floor they were shocked. I've been telling people with Kia/Hyundais to get a kill switch installed. Shouldn't be too difficult. Hopefully they get it back, but more than likely is in a container heading to Guyana, or Laos Nigeria. They're starting to get a middle class and many citizens in those countries want reliable 4x4's and Suvs due to terrible roads. Many African countries have stifled their economies by having extremely high import taxes, so "pre owned " are becoming lucrative.

No, they're not cheap, at all. If you sit and drive in one of these, you'll be disappointed by the Fisher Price grade plastics and the smell of Hyundai's past ghosts of cheap interiors.

View attachment 152425
The Hyundai Accent N looks like fun to drive and is one of the few remaining vehicles with a manual transmission. I wonder if Hyundai can pinpoint who and when they decided to remove the security chip in their keyed vehicles as the push button ones kept the security chip.

Back